1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pyramids

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by IAMWEAK_2007, Feb 9, 2011.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I realize that this will put me off the Christmas Card list of most here, but anyway I will risk it.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Even though I may not always align with your positions, I do respect them and I do appreciate your courage and independent thought.

2. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

There goes another few Christmas cards. :)

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Most people think that it was near "the cradle of civilization," or near Palestine. After all the Ark did land on Mount Ararat. That is in Turkey, and could be the same mount that is referred to in the Bible.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And where does the Bible answer that question?

5. quantumfaith

Alive,

I am with you philisophically, there are committed believers on both sides of the age of the universe debate, each should have christian love and respect for one another. And to be intellectually honest, we should all investigate knowledge and reason from all sides.

6. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A couple of things to mention. First you are sooooo wrong in your assertion that
    . In fact, I've taken scripture at its word and its word is that God created a metal dome over the earth. The fact is; it is not a hypothesis. The very words themselves translated literally say as much. Just like yom is taken as 24 hours. The very words themselves show a problem with regard to plant life. I have not incerted anything that is not there. Its taking the passages literally. So much for your "hypothesis" view. In fact no one ever has sufficiently explained away the dome view save to jump through many hoops to force it to mean what they want. The extra work to show against this is wasted because it ultimately is speculation rather than a literal translation. So if you are literal then take it that way. However, since when we look at the universe from a modern cosmology rather than an ancient one we see divergence from the Metal dome discription of Genesis to the reality that there is nothing above the earth in space. The Atmosphere contains the water within it not above it. So that leave me to conclude several things. 1) the very nature of the earth changed since creation and that there was a metal dome at one time. But no longer is existant. However, there is no evidence of that. 2) The bible is no more than the word of man and his limited understanding and that God is no more than an anthropomorphic expression of nature. God forbid! I know this isn't true. Not only is it contrary to faith but other expressions in the bible and the verasity of history tells me different. 3) So, if the description is not accurate to reality and God truely exist, and God being intelligent enough to create the universe then his meaning is to be taken differently that is supposed. God isn't giving a track record for his creation so much as establishing theology for us to live by and to come in communion with him. the Creation account must therefore be an expressions of truths a) God created everything. b) All those regularily accepted gods of the summerians and the egyptians are no more than natural phenominon created by God thus placing God above all deities making him one God. c) All creation is subject to God. d) God created man specially for a special place in creation. e) God institutes Marriage and thus the family unit and the foundations of community f) God provides us a theology of the sabbath so that man will give one day to God and to honestly rest from his labors. These are the points for which Genesis wishes to communicate. It is not a technical manual on God's creative activities as many try to assume.

I agree with Crabtownboy in his post
    And there is all this speculation that the Egyptian Pyramids were not built before the flood however if you do the math as I've shown here Then it is clear the pyramids were built couple of hundreds of years before the flood took place. There is an issue here. Unless the bible is wrong with its math. And if you suggest it is then what else is wrong with the bible. I'm trying to put for a logical review for the problematic issues associated with scriptures. These are just the simple question and if not dealt with honestly then how can anything be taken seriously? This is why many young college students loose the faith. Forced acceptance of a literal interpretation of the creation account does not match up with facts and People who explain by jumping through speculative hoops are revealed for what they are a bias disinegenious explination to validate a belief. Not an honest look at scripture itself. So these young people saying to themselves well if they force fit the bible to their belief why should I take such a hypocritical stance? And they believe all religions therefore is myth to include Christianity. This is the danger Crabtownboy is mentioning and I've personally witnessed with missionary kids who though raised in the faith go to college and decide their faith isn't worth it. It really sad to see and I've seen it many a time because I grew up with these kids.
    And quantumfaith I appreciate your sentiment
    because after all I'm just trying to be honest with what I see and the faith. But I have faith. And I am ok with people who believe in a literal interpretation of Genesis. What I have a problem with is they say you can't have anyother view of that text and be Christian. I disagree as I am both a born again christian and don't hold that text literally. I believe there is a certain arogance to suggest such a thing as though unlike Paul they have allready attained the goal and are perfect.

#46 Thinkingstuff, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  7. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Otherwise known as a "figure of speech."

8. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Genesis. Read it again. You will find it there.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No. As a discription. See your speculating.

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Okay... I dislike when individual theta's get this long. Difficult to respond without missing something, etc.

Are you a Hebrew scholar? Just wondering. I've seen this argument from you before, and also seen it refuted by those skilled in Hebrew. You have chosen this as a "sticking point" and you bring it up as a way to get your point across in virtually every debate about the subject of Creation.

Yom -- day -- is sort of locked in. It means, yes, "day" in the literal 24-hour sense. It can also be used to illustrate a longer period of time, but that is also always contextually indicated. in the opening verses of Genesis it is contextually driven by "and the evening and morning were the first day..." etc. Yom used in that sense is very locked down.

But the "firmament" is not quite so locked down. There being no distinct context for the term, it can mean any number of things, yes, including a hammered out metal dome, but it is not exclusive of that use. You have made a very classical mistake of choosing one usage based on the root of the word raqa ( רקיע), which does mean to "hammer out, as of from metal" but the word used in the Genesis account is not the root word... It is
    raqiya` ( רקיע), and the usage for that term is "stretched out expanse." Just what we actually see in the heavenly realm, otherwise called commonly, "sky" and "space." No metal dome involved. Note that virtually every modern translation of the Bible sees this term as (properly used) "expanse." If you like, I can take the term to a true Hebrew expert and ask his opinion. Just let me know. I'd like to settle this for you and for everyone who you press with your faulty translation. In holding to a "metal dome" concept, you intentionally take a term from Scripture and mis-use it for your own gain, furthering my claim that you have issues with the veracity of Scripture. You are, in a sense, imposing your thoughts upon Scripture instead of letting Scripture be your guide. We will see more of this below.

How so... God said that there were plants and there were plants. We go outside and see that there are plants all over the globe, even in the most inhospitable of environments. Surely God is correct...

No, in fact, you have attempted to return to the root of a Hebrew word instead of dealing with the actual word used in the Text. That is inserting something that is not there...

If not a hypothesis, then what? Fact for your metal dome? When I've already, very simply shown that you are incorrect about your Hebrew translation? I would suggest that you are the one doing the jumping through hoops, and that in an effort to ACTUALLY discredit the rather simple portrayal of God's creative efforts in Genesis 1.

I believe that the ancients looked at much the same sky as we do... After all, they were not all that ancient... :laugh:

The ancients also had a rather well-developed cosmology seeing as how they had none of the assists that modern scientists have, telescopes, space travel, spectrometry, etc. Sure, they missed on a few points, but so have we. We're all still learning.

The one who did not miss at all, however, was the Creator. I flatly reject anyone who even suggests that He was wrong.

(see posst #2)

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Post #2

Precisely... No evidence whatsoever that there has ever been any sort of "metal dome" over the earth -- largely because that is not what God said (see above). About the water... That we cannot tell, can we? What are the rings of Saturn? Perhaps it is possible to have a water canopy that is not dependent on a metal dome. There are indications in Scripture that this was true, and from the indications, we might also draw inferences when we are told that plants were watered from the mists, that the sky opened up and rained down, etc. The events of the flood almost certainly transformed the entirety of creation, as did the events of the fall in Gen. 3.

I am glad to hear you say this about the Bible. But you continue to try to re-arrange what it says to be convenient with your own point of view.

This is the issue, isn't it. In a sense, our interpretation of Scripture must always be tempered by other factors. The Church discovered this when they insisted that the entire solar system revolved around the earth, when in fact, it is the other way around. But in truth, the Bible was (and is) correct on this issue -- it was "interpretation" based in worldview that was incorrect.

I submit that interpretation based in worldview can be incorrect on the part of Christians or of Science and we dare not use Science to attempt to correct Scripture. If Scripture says it, it is truth --period. Science will sooner or later catch up to the truth. it is inevitable. In the mean time, we have a host of hypothesis that are antithetical to the scriptural position, which are being pressed forward by those who disavow God. To suggest that there is no bias is ignorant at best.

In a sense, you are correct. But that does not exclude the facts that God did tell us about His creative effort. We cannot rightly dismiss what the Scriptures DO say, concerning the number of days of creation, the order of creation, the view of God concerning creation, or even the assumption that God is the God of creation. "Let God be right and every man a liar..."

I agree that the Bible is not a science textbook. I agree that we can (and should) explore -- fully -- the general revelation of the cosmos. I agree that our interpretation of Scripture may change as we gain further understanding, and with that, that we may not have perfect understanding of all things in Scripture.

I DISAGREE that any tenet of Science will EVER set any tenet of Scripture aside.

Here is where you, again, get off base. I am a serious student of Scripture in the original languages. I have yet to see where the Bible has "math" about the date of creation. Any dating scheme, by Christians or otherwise, based on the texts of Scripture are just interpretations that may or may not be accurate. If the Bible came straight out and said, "On the 10th of October, 8043 BC, God said, 'Let there be light...'" then there would be no excuse whatsoever concerning dating of the universe. But He, simply, did not.

We have entered the pyramids. We have investigated them for eons of time. They are one of the ancient and modern wonders of the world!

They do not have flood damage...

The only way one can arrive at such a statement concerning the building of the pyramids pre-flood is based on the dating scheme of certain men like Archbishop Usher. But we cannot date from silence, and we cannot know what is not revealed in the text, thus any dating scheme that looks back to Creation, just as one that looks forward to the Day of the Lord is probably not ours to know with certainty. We simply do not have ALL the facts of the matter in which to arrive at a date.

The statement above is, in particular, why I question your true allegiance to Scripture. While you say, "God forbid," in regards to the Bible, you speak out of the other side of your mouth when you also say what you said directly above. You DO have issues with the veracity of Scripture, and you DO wish to interpret it to match your own worldview. You do so for the same reasons every liberal has wanted to do so -- to make the Bible palatable to the masses. God's church world has had to deal with the fallout from liberal scholars every since they started their heretical theologies. The fallout is tremendous -- and at the end of the day, I can say with much assurance that much more damage has been done by attempting to make the Bible palatable to lost persons than has been done by interpreting it as written with an accurate and scientific (yes!) hermeneutic based in the structure of the original languages and context of the surrounding text.

FWIW... One can potentially be a Christian and have a totally flawed view of the Word. That is because the act of becoming a Christian is based on the work of God, not man. But, it is difficult... And those who argue against God's Word will always create suspicion as to whether or not they are truly God's own adopted children, for who argues against the very truth of their own Creator, Sustainer, King, and Savior?

12. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know what you mean by Theta's

No, I'm not a hebrew "scholar". I've taken hebrew if thats what you mean. But I'm not a "scholar". However, I do know enough that there are hebrew scholars that have posited this point of view. Very likely you've seen this posited by other people. Being the fact that this is what the word use leads one to believe. I've also taken Latin and the term Firmament used in english translations comes from firmamentum which means support. Both indicate a solid dome. The greek from the LXX used is stereoma means a solid structure. Get the picture. Hebrew raqiya means beating out a metal the root of that term is raqa was commonly used in the making of a dish by hammering out metal. In aramaic it means to make solid. And fortunately I have hebrews scholars to tell me such things.

Yom has two meanings 24 hour day and eon. However, contextually the term does mean 24 hours. Though how this was possible prior to the third day makes on lean away from literalism and choose the view "a period of time".

as metal is stretched out over a solid object like wood. Where you run into issues is the term above and below. Above is quiet clear as it is not in. As such the stars are described.

Not true you only say that now with a modern view of cosmology. but lets follow your view that it means "expanse".
    Interesting to note that the documents writen closer to the autographs as I've shown already in this post suggest a solid surface. Nothing in the genesis account is to be understood as not solid. Thus the primordial waters could be kept above the expance (outer space) and below. Strange if the autograph meant with in the expanse. But no. Above it. wooo hooo ooo (imagine the X-Files theme).
    I can easily point out a hebrew scholar who would suggest something different.
    No, I've taken the world literally for what it means. Literal. Get it?
    No, I don't. You have the problem of trying to explain away how a literal interpretation gives problems with the genesis account lets lookie
    Interesting this is a modern translation. Oooh wait I thought modern translations used expanse. Vault has a "solid" perspective does it not? Wait NIV not good for you Ok lets use the NASB
    ah here is expanse yet where are the waters seperated? Above and below. Not in and below? How are the waters above held out? Wait I know the expanse has to be solid enough to keep the primordial waters out. That makes sense water floating in space but wait...
    the stars are in the expanse. Wait that must mean there is water above the stars and the galaxy and the universe. That doesn't makes sense. So the expanse must be solid enough to seperate the water above and it also happens to show the lights of the stars and sun and moon in it. So a solid vault keeping out waters above yet supporting the lights in it. But you might say well what about this verse
    birds can't fly in a solid object. However, my hebrew scholar friend has in formed me that this can be translated "in front of" Which makes sense. In front of the vault that contains the stars, sun and moon. Hmmm. Its looking like genesis is describing a solid dome if you take the words literally. So where is this solid dome?

Not at all simple reading of the text. Water above seperate from water below lights in the vault birds fly in front of vault.

I think you should deal with this before even begining on the plants and in inconsistencies between Genesis 1 and Genesis 2.

I happen to know from Egyptian writings, and Summerian writings they considered the sky a solid dome. The ancient world. Had a very different cosmology. Just like the Greeks believed all mater consisted of four elements or humors. They believed the smallest unit of mater was an elemental atom. Thus a water atom, a earth atom, at fire atom, a air atom.

They certainly knew about the movement of stars but all of them were primarily geocentric and I'm certain they had no idea about black holes quasars and nebulae.

He's not wrong. He's truthful in what he asserts. He just hasn't given us a technical manual on how he created the universe.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never mind your silly game. You state that the answer to WHY God created is there, so you tell me where it's found. I just did read the first 3 chapters and did a word search on www.biblegateway.com for the words why and because in the book of Genesis, and the answer is not found with those searches. But anyway, it is not acceptable to answer "Read it... you will find it." I've been through that nonsense with "every Christian will speak in tongues" and "the dead in heaven are watching us," among other questions. "Just read your Bible-- you'll find it!" Yeah, shurrr.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Rings of Saturn? and Ice Canopy (after all that is a solid sturcture in fact a dome or globe)? Yet the stars are not "In" the dome and the water above the dome floated away. So all the water above the dome floated out to saturn's rings? This is meer Speculation again. You still have to deal with the term above.
    I'm not re-arranging anything I'm taking it at its world that that is how it describes it. Look I didn't start out believing in an old earth. When I was first saved I bought the whole young earth hook line and sinker it wasn't until a serious study of the bible that I concluded differently rather than read into it my preference.
    You are doing here what I've been pointing out with Genesis. Unless you are saying the universe is actually Geocentric. Of course our solar system including the earth is heliocentric. That has been proven. So scripture cannot mean the natural order of the Cosmos is geocentric. No God is geocentric specifically homosapien centric. Its the world view that is correct. And so it is with what I say about Genesis. Its true but that doesn't mean the solar system is geocentric or that the earth was made in 6 days. 6 periods sure.
    What about geocentric verse heliocentric?
    Nope. Those are the words in genesis not a hypothetical or a theory. But a literal view.
    Yes I sure I am.
    Only limitedly notice he didn't give dimension as he does with the temple or the Ark. I think thats telling.
    I haven't.
    To say he created in six periods and is over all is not the same thing as discrediting God. I think that is where your problem lies.
    Out of context It has to do with Pauls discourse on moral practice and comparison with the Jew.
    I don't condone immoral living or disbelieving in God or disbelieving in Jesus as have done the Jews in Paul's time. I
    Good.
    apples and oranges. Science doesn't determine our faith and morals. Nor does disproving an young earth call God a liar. but puts his words into its proper context.
    So using the text of scripture to verify a date is not reliable? According to you then we can't rely on any math of the bible. The demensions of the Ark are wrong. The tabernacle is wrong. Number of Davids hourses are wrong. Sounds like some serious textual issues for someone who takes 6 days literally.
    Why not do you think? He certainly dates the flood.
    Yes the logic is good.
    No not true. I didn't use archer. I sued kings and solomons description of when the Israelites left Egypt Which has a pretty clear time line going back to the flood. But hey we can rely on scripture for that.
    Ok so the Pyramids may have been built before the flood as well as after.
    How so? That I don't take the whole book literally? You do know the bible is made up of different types of literature don't you?
    Nope, I have issues with yours and and many others interpretation of scripture. Especially with the creation account.
    Nope, as I've stated before the scriptures changed my world view. Originally my world view was much like yours. An open and honest Study of scripture changed that.
    Nope. The masses can take a hike if they don't believe God's truth of salvation. Truth is just truth. I've already been called a jesus fanatic by non christians and a heretic by you guys so I'm not too conserned with what the masses thingk of me. God's word stands.
    Sometimes. Sometimes people hold the wrong view of scripture like the Catholics did in Gallileo's time. The fallout is tremendous -- and at the end of the day, I
    I don't make the bible palatable to people who want to live immorally, support abortion, have homosexual affairs, etc... The scriptures condemn them out of hand. If that was my intent I would be a universalist. I am not.
    However, I don't shut of my brain when it comes to science either.
    And that is where I persieve you are wrong. I don't argue against the bible but your interpretation of it with regard to the creation account.

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Thinkingstuff...

How does "shamayim" modify the context of "raqiya"?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Shamayim indicates the Heavens in which raqiya is apart. Note Shamayim in Jewish thought indicates a description of 1 of 3 heavens 1) Air where the birds fly. 2) where the celestial bodies are and 3) where God and the host of heaven reside. Thus contextually it is the space where the birds fly in front of the vault.

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thinkingstuff,
    When reading the Bible, just the Bible, whatever would lead you to the conclusion that there was a metal dome around the earth. I have never heard in all my years as a Christian such a wild-eyed imaginative idea as that. It has absolutely no credence at all. The Bible gives no such evidence. Even a cursory reading of the Bible would not give any such idea to anything even remotely related to that theory (if it is worthy to be called one).

Where do you get this from??

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Get a concordence. Open up the bible. Read what it actually says and see what the direct translation is. Do not read into it any predetermined idea and see what it says. You can read my posts explaining how I came to that conclusion but I doubt you'll consider that authoritative enough. Just read the scriptures. translate the words and voila! Since you live in Canada I through in some french N'est - ce Pas?

Oh and just so you don't think its just me how about this from Peter Wallace Current Pastor of an Orthodox Presbyterian Church in Indiana. Graduate of Wheaton College and the Westminster Theological Seminary where he says

#58 Thinkingstuff, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I read in your quote solid blue not metal dome. I have never read metal anywhere.

In fact not until chapter four do we read anything about metals.
    And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah. (Genesis 4:22)
    --There is the first mention of metals. Tubalcain was the "father" of all those who worked in metals.

Look at the passage in Genesis one:
    And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. (Genesis 1:6)
    The word firmament simply means space, as I can show you in other translations. God put a space between the waters. There were waters above the earth and waters upon the earth.

Here is Young's Literal Translation:
    And God saith, `Let an expanse be in the midst of the waters, and let it be separating between waters and waters.' (Genesis 1:6)
    --An expanse is a space. It separated the waters: the waters from on the earth from the waters above the earth.

And God maketh the expanse, and it separateth between the waters which are under the expanse, and the waters which are above the expanse: and it is so. (Genesis 1:7)
    --And that is what God did.
    That dome that people refer to, the one that is referred to as "blue" was believed to be ice (not steel). It was water in some form or another. It kept out the harmful rays of the sun providing a greenhouse effect over all the world. There were no seasons then. It was a perfect climate. Remember that in the Garden of Eden Adam and Eve were naked. They needed no clothing. After the fall, all they needed for warmth were fig leaves. God provided a coat of skin not for climate sake but that blood had to be shed. The protective canopy was one of the reasons men lived to be 900 some years old.

Then you come to the Flood.
    In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. (Genesis 7:11)
    --The windows of heaven were opened. This was not an ordinary rainfall, though they had never seen rain before this time. This was a world wide flood.

And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. (Genesis 7:19)
    --Such a massive amount of water came down that many believe it was that canopy or dome, if you wish; that layer of water or ice that covered the earth that came down with such force that it helped in great part to cause the flood and destroy the world.

It may have looked blue. It may have looked solid. But nowhere do we read that it was metallic. The Bible says that it was made of water.

20. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Umm--if the vast majority of Southern Baptists had agreed with the CR it wouldn't be ten million folks smaller than it was back then.