1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Q to Ponder. Does the future exist right now?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

this is a silly question that open theists try to use to debunk the omniscience of God. It is clear that God knows the future infallibly since he made promises about that future. It is a blatant attempt to redefine God to try to go down this pathway of denying the omniscience of God.

The plain text of Scripture must be believed and these foolish philosophical speculations and vain imaginations must be rejected.

Let's not dabble in heresy here.

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Pastor Larry (and others):

Do you not think that grappling with the challenges of this topic is a worthwhile pursuit? When we try to witness, is it not desireable that we both give God's word and yet also support it with well-reasoned arguments? And this topic has some nasty logical challenges, as I suspect you will agree.

3. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

No one is debating that he will do what he intends to do. But this does not amount to God ordaining everything that ever happens nor does it amount to everything that ever happens being necessarily ordained by God. Did God ordain Catholic priests to abuse little children? I hardly think so. Did God ordain his Son to die on a cross. Obviously.

Indeed, we read in the Bible that God is working out all things to the good. Now why would he need to be doing such a thing if indeed everything is already ordained to happen?

Did God deceive the Ninevites?

4. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    With specific reference to your comment about child abuse, I am probably with you on this. I will probably need to sleep on this...

5. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

With all due respect PL, the very point here in this thread is that the definition of omniscience does NOT depend on "knowing the future" because the future does not exist to know. This is not a challenge to omniscience but a challenge to the definition of omniscience.

I have made promises to my kids about the future too. And they also came true. It does not mean I "knew the future" but that I made a conceived reality come into existence by my own ability. Now perhaps my plans could have been thwarted but that concept is not a question which is then related to God's omniscience but of his omnipotence which is not being questioned here.

May I ask, did God deceive the Ninevites by telling them he would destroy them in 40 days if indeed he knew that such a thing would never happen?

6. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Andre.

God is Sovereign. We cannot escape this if we hold fast to His Sovereignity I'm afraid.
    Romans 4:17 As it is written: "I have made you a father of many nations." He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed--the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.
    Is that the nothing you mean Ben?
    If He did what is that to you? Do you say He is obligated to tell them the truth? 1KI 22:23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    For you?

johnp.

7. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

If He did what is that to you? Do you say He is obligated to tell them the truth? 1KI 22:23 "So now the LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouths of all these prophets of yours. The LORD has decreed disaster for you."
    For you?

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]If he did what is that to me? It would mean we have a deceptive God on our hands whose word cannot be trusted. And are you actually suggesting here that God gave Jonah a lying spirit to proclaim his message to the Ninevites? Did Jonah preach the word of the LORD or the word of a lying spirit? Do tell.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

NO, this topic is not a worthwhile pursuit inasmuch as it is never worthwhile to deny the direct statements of Scripture. I am not aware of any logical challenges to the statements of Scripture. This issue has been created in the minds of men who will not submit themselves to the truth of God's word. God's word clearly speaks to this issue.

9. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

NO, this topic is not a worthwhile pursuit inasmuch as it is never worthwhile to deny the direct statements of Scripture. I am not aware of any logical challenges to the statements of Scripture. This issue has been created in the minds of men who will not submit themselves to the truth of God's word. God's word clearly speaks to this issue. </font>[/QUOTE]Do you not beg the question at hand Pastor Larry? Nobody is challenging the Scriptures. Challenging interpretations of Scripture is quite another matter. It sounds to me like you are saying that no one should ever challenge a Calvinistic interpretation of Scripture and to do so is heresy. If that is the case, then what could we ever possibly talk about here on this board?

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

You are incorrect. God knows the future. Scripture plainly says that. It is impossible to maintain a high view of Scripture and deny it.

One of the most dastardly techniques of this whole argument from Boyd (it's most familiar spokesman) right on down is the equation of God with man. It is unbiblical and ungodly to pretend that your promises about the future are even analogous to God's promises, much less identical. That is idolatry to assert yourself as Godlike in that respect. There is simply no comparison.

This argument shows just how flawed the thinking is. God knows hte future and indeed in the book of Isaiah asserts that his knowledge of the future is what sets him apart from the false gods. They do not know the future and Israel is challenged not to believe the nonsense that you are repeating here. God already addressed this question about 2700 years ago. His answer hasn't changed. God's knowledge cannot be separated from his power. He is able to bring about all that he has promsed.

OF course not. Go back and read what he said. The whole warning was based on the failure to repent. They repented. Had they not repented, God would have destroyed them. There is, in every revelation from God, the inherent command to repent. God's judgement is poured out on the unrepentant, and Nineveh is a great example of that.

You are pursuing vain philosohpy and have set your own mind up as the arbiter of the truth of God's word. That is simply unacceptable. You have challenged the direct, explicit statements of Scripture. This is not about interpretation. It is about submission of the heart and mind to the revelation of God.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

One question.

How can God be omniscient (all-knowing) and NOT know the future?

By the very definition He would no longer be all-knowing. I have no use for a god who does not know EVERYTHING.

Jesus is the Alpha and Omega. He already IS the beginning and the end.

Have your ignorant god Mr Elohim. I will trust the All Knowing One.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

To challenge the "calvinistic interpretation" is certainly fine. It is, for the most part, a foolish and useless endeavor, but there are certainly some points of discussion.

This thread is not about challenging a calvinistic interpretation of Scripture. This thread is about denying the explicitly revealed truth about God. You can arrive at your conclusion only by making God a liar. When God says he knows all things, including the end from the beginning, including the events of the future, and you counter by saying that he really doesn't, you are denying God and his Word. That is unacceptable. Such unbelief should not be tolerated in your mind and heart. The fact that you cannot understand certain things does not mean you get to rewrite theology proper. God has told us what he willed to tell us. It is our responsibility to believe it, not to deny it. And we will be judged by that.

13. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

I did read what God said and I fail to see where you are getting what you are asserting. He did not say "Unless you repent I will destroy Ninevah." He said he was going to destroy them in 40 days. It never happened.

Then the word of the Lord came to Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and proclaim to it the message that I tell you." So Jonah arose and went to Nineveh, according to the word of the Lord. Now Nineveh was an exceedingly great city, three days' journey in breadth. Jonah began to go into the city, going a day's journey. And he cried, "Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown!

Ninevah was not overthrown in 40 days as God had proclaimed through Jonah. What happened PL?

14. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Ben.

So what you going to do about it? But that's the choice isn't it? To trust Him or not?

Why don't you answer my questions?

Romans 4:17 As it is written: "I have made you a father of many nations." He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed--the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were.
    Is that the nothing you mean Ben?

If He did what is that to you?

Do you say He is obligated to tell them the truth?

Has the LORD has decreed disaster for you with His lying spirits?

johnp.

15. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Since you have asked this question, it is plain you have missed the point here. If indeed the future does not exist then there is nothing to know about it is there? God is omniscient and knows about everything that exists. Tomorrow does not exist.

And when tomorrow does arrive, if it arrives, you will still not be able to say tomorrow exists. It will be today and tomorrow will be the next day.

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

"For thus sayeth the High and Lofty One, Who inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy..." (Isaiah 57v15)

Of course the future exists, this verse says that God lives there, as well as the past and the present.

I think the God Who inhabits eternity knows His home pretty well ;) .

17. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

And this is relevant how? Where did you get the idea that eternity is a time continuum. After all it seemed to have been there before the beginning of time.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

God lives in eternity, past, present, and future.

Therefore the future does exist, for God lives there.

No problem seeing this in my simple mind.

19. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Where did you get the idea that eternity is a time continuum. After all it seemed to have been there before the beginning of time.

You may also have noticed that this is not eternity down here.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course eternity existed before the beginning and will be there at the end, and that is where God lives.

Jesus is, already, the beginning and the end - right now He already is the end.

Don't try to put and eternal God in our time box.