1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Q to Ponder. Does the future exist right now?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben Elohim, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Why is that? You keep saying this, but I have yet to see any reasonable defense of it.

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Ben Elohim:

Read your post of 13:15 and I think I may see what you are saying. My intuition is that there is something useful here. I intend to think on what you have said and offer a response. Although the value of these discussions may seem lost on some, I think that the more clarity we can get on such topics, the better able will be able to "offer a defence for the hope that is in us". Its a shame that some presume arrogance on the part of those who are genuinely interested in the pursuit of the truth....

3. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Assuming that the "some" is a reference to my comments, I am not presuming anything. Scripture declares it to be arrogance to sit in judgment on God's revelation of himself. I am genuinely interested in the pursuit of the truth. But that truth is found in God's word. To sit in judgment on it and pretend like he really didn't say it is arrogant. It is not "pursuit of the truth."

We have clearly established from Scripture that God knows the future. This discussion can legitimately center on what is the relationship of his knowledge of hte future to the events of the future. There is no legitimate discussion about whether or not he knows the future.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What? One can know everything without knowing something?

5. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Assuming that the "some" is a reference to my comments, I am not presuming anything. Scripture declares it to be arrogance to sit in judgment on God's revelation of himself. I am genuinely interested in the pursuit of the truth. But that truth is found in God's word. To sit in judgment on it and pretend like he really didn't say it is arrogant. It is not "pursuit of the truth."

We have clearly established from Scripture that God knows the future. This discussion can legitimately center on what is the relationship of his knowledge of hte future to the events of the future. There is no legitimate discussion about whether or not he knows the future.
    </font>[/QUOTE]No one is sitting in judgment of the Scriptures. We are indeed judging whether certain interpretations of those Scriptures are indeed correct. Sabre rattling and table pounding do not make things true.

It appears you feel insecure about your position and do not wish anyone to inquire as to the true meaning of the Scriptures for fear the truth might not be what you wish it was.

One wonders why you do not just close up this board and declare, "The Scripture is plain, Arminianism is heresy, and any discussion on the matter is illegitimate."

We all here have a deep desire for the truth. We inquire into the Scriptures for that truth and the Scriptures will determine the truth, nothing and nobody else. I have never found the discovery of truth to be something that intends to fulfill my own creedal desires.

God does not feel threatened by our search for truth. I do not why you should be either. Indeed, Jesus told us to look and seek. You are telling us not to look. What shall I do?

[ February 24, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Ben Elohim ]

6. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Perhaps we could start by looking at some definitions of the word "future" since this term is the basic word under discussion.

The indefinite time yet to come

of, relating to, or constituting a verb tense expressive of time yet to come

existing or occurring at a later time

7. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello Andre.
    EPH 1:11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will...
    Since He works out everything in conformity to His will then this must include the future. It includes everything. He makes the future as it is that is why He knows the future because the future is His to make in conformity with His plan.

As to the reality that the future will be as the Lord commanded take a gander at Revelation.

johnp.

8. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

EPH 1:11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will...
    Since He works out everything in conformity to His will then this must include the future. It includes everything. He makes the future as it is that is why He knows the future because the future is His to make in conformity with His plan.

As to the reality that the future will be as the Lord commanded take a gander at Revelation.

johnp.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Unfortunately johnp, one must wear Calvinist glasses to see what you want the passage to say.

And even IF, for the sake of argument, we accepted what you want it to say, you STILL do not have a case. All you would have is God purposing to do something which speaks to his power to make things happen, not his knowledge of another reality called "the future."

I have always found it difficult to reason with Calvinists because of this type of thing. When discussing an interpretation of a verse, one is always confronted with "see my errant interpretation of this other passage which verifies by errant interpretation of this passage."

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Ben.
    I'm sure Andre is able to decide for himself. :cool:
    Calvinist glasses? Oh! You mean; The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: 16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
    Those glasses is it? :cool:
    Never said I had a case. What I said must have aided your cause not the others. I do not understand why you do not accept it. This is what you say isn't it? That the future is not tangible?
    That is what I said but you have declared that 'errant interpretation'. See below.
    Ok but that is a win for the Calvinists. :cool: Away the lads!

johnp.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Scripture says that God's know the future. YOu are saying that Scripture is wrong. That is sitting in judgment on Scripture.

Not at all. I am a student at heart. I have devoted my life to inquiring the true meaning of hte Scriptures. But part of that is accepting the truth of Scripture. YOU have not done that. You have said that Scripture, and therefore God, is wrong.

I don't know of any wonder that. The answer is patently clear. 1) The board is not mine to open or close. 2) Both Calvinism and arminianism have always been regarded as within the stream of orthodox Christianity. Open theism has never been regarded as such and with good reason--It is a denial of God.

Neither I nor God are threatened in the least. But I know that God rejects those who sit in judgment on him and his word, and who deny his very character in teh name of "searching." Searching must start with Scripture, not with your own mind. And that is the problem.

I never told anyone not to look. Your questions were answered six pages ago when the Scripture was cited that plainly declears that God knows the future. That should have been the end of the discussion.

Accept that God knows the future and philosophical debates about the future existing or the definition of the future are arrogant affronts to God that should be repented of. The Bible has plainly declared that God knows the future. That should be the end of the discussion.

11. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I know what future means in our humans terms. Once again God is not bound by those human terms. He already is the beginning and the end, He already dwells in all of eternity.

Why must this debate continue to return to thinking of the "future" in human terms?

By the way, Calvinism does NOT some into play in my debate. I would not be considered a Calvinist, but I also do not limit an infinite God's omniscience to my finite understanding.

12. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

johnp, did it ever occur to you that you can't see the truth because:

"The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment: "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ."

You speak according to the way of the Gnostics who thought only they could see truth. This is precisely what they did and they viewed the wisdom of God errantly as a theology about God just as you do.

Morever, and what is even more ironic, is that the passage you have quoted has absolutely nothing to do with theology and in fact is a polemic against those who treat theology as the "Wisdom of God." It was here in Corinth that we first find traces of Gnosticism, the belief that knowing certain conceptual ideas (theology) about God and such as the basis of salvation as an object of our faith. But that is quite beside the point...

johnp, you can't see cause you don't have spiritual eyes to see because 1 Corinthians 2 says so.

See, I can do it too. Anyone can! [​IMG]

As it is, you attempt to avoid the critical question at hand. Does "the future" indeed exist right now?

13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

And I reply, once again, that the future does exist right now to an eternal, infinite, omniscient God even though temporal, finite, limited knowledge man cannot percieve it.

14. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Because you say so right?

I mean I can say, "And I reply, once again, that the future does not exist right now to an eternal, infinite, omniscient God even though temporal, finite, limited knowledge man does not conceive it into reality by his power like he does."

What value do your assertions have that mine do not? Truth is not a self declaration process; it is a discovery.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

The problem is that we are on tow totally different pages here - I believe that all of eternity exists at this moment, because that is where God dwells. He is not in our human time box.

We are not going to reach a consensus because our basic premise differs. You insist that we define the future in our human terms, you insist that God cannot know a future that you insists does not exist because we can't prove it is there with human reasoning.

Our arguments will continue to run in circles because of that.

But please, do not accuse me of not answering your question. I am not dodging it - I have given you my views.

16. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

The problem here is that you are manufacturing a notion of the future from God's perspective as if you know the mind of God while at the same time insisting that we can only know the future from a human perspective.

17. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello Ben Elohim (and others):

In comparison to the "conventional" view, I think the way that you conceive of this problem is more logical and true to the spirit of using words (and the concepts they point to) properly. However, I wonder whether adopting your perspective really differs from the conventinal one in regard to "practical implications".

It seems more intuitively correct and true to the spirit such concepts as "existence" (for example) to assert that God does not look into a future (that really does not exist), but rather consults His "plans" and undertakes to actualize them. On such a view, the already dubious concept of the "future as a thing that exists" is explanatorily unncecessary. A plan that exists in the mind of an omnipotent God who then acts on it seems to me to be a cleaner way to conceive of things - no need to invoke confusing and fuzzy notions like a "pre-existent" future.

So presumably a verse like EPH 1:11 (Hello Johnp) "In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will..." is to be interpreted as making declarations about God's plans and powers to actualize them rather than about his foreknowledge.

Assuming that you more or less agree with my re-hash of your position, can you let us know if adoption of such a view has any implications other than a more conceptually satisfying and intuitive model of this whole problem domain?

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Of course, the problem is my perspective, even though you have yet to tell me how Jesus is the beginning and the end when the end does not exist, or explain to me how God can dwell in an eternity that has nothing but the past and present.

19. Ben Elohim

Ben Elohim New Member

Of course, the problem is my perspective, even though youahev yet to tell me that Jesus is the beginning and the end when the end does not exist, or exlain to me how God can dwell in an eternity that has nothing but the past and present. </font>[/QUOTE]Well it is quite easy to explain how Jesus is the Alpha and Omega.

He is the Word of God by which God created all things. Hence, the Word is the Alpha point and beginning of all that is. In the same way, the Word will come again in glory and be the Omega of creation and brings all things to a head in himself for the glory of the Father, the consummation of the ages and all things.

Was I supposed to imagine that it meant Jesus makes everything happen that ever happens?

God WORKS OUT all things to the good. This is quite different than saying God ordained all things to the good isn't it? He is actively in the process of working things out. This would be quite unnecessary if all things were blueprinted to happen from creation. Indeed, it is obvious that God is in the process of turning evil into good, just as he does with those who were once enemies of God.

20. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Once again I prove the future exists because altough it is afternoon there it is bedtime here so I am in the future which already exists [​IMG] .

Our circle has gone nowhere,and I don't see it progressing. I hope you can acknowledge that I am not dodging the question you keep asking however.

Unless you are only looking for answers with which you agree.

Good night.