1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Qualifications for seminary professors

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by scooter, Oct 22, 2004.

1. scooter

scooter New Member

Curious regarding your thoughts on what qualifications seminary professors should have. Specifically, should they meet the scriptural qualifications for elder? If not, what level of scriptural maturity should they demonstrate? What is standard operating procedure for conservative fundamentalist seminaries?

Scooter

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are they elders? If so, then YES they should meet the Scriptural mandates.

If they are teachers, then they should be proven teachers. Well trained, well able to communicate truth to others.

Most seminary profs have earned a BS/MS/PhD in secular university or BA/MDiv/ThM/ThD from residential program seminaries.

Most good seminaries are not "inbred", that is they have faculty who have degrees from other institutions.

Noticed that Bob Jones IV (of Bob Jones University) got his Masters from Notre Dame! Now THAT is diversity instead of the normal BJU inbreeding.

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At times I have gotten the impression that having a failedd church in their background was a requirment, many when they can't pastor end up in teaching :) somewhat tongue in cheek, but a lot of truth to it from my observation in some people.

The elder standards are (all but one) elsewhere in Scripture related to all Christians, it is just that the elder is supposed to have them all active - good place to start in my mind for profs - they are molding the coming generation of elders. If the elders are to be qualified they need to be mentored by men that are - in my humble opinion of course :)

4. son of thunder

son of thunder New Member

This question hits close to home. I just withdrew from a 'reputable' conservative seminary because of this very reason. Seems the Greek prof has no trouble at all with using profanity in class & other life situations, calling it a gray area. I approached him, after receiving counsel, prayer and much scripture reading only to have him state that this is culturally acceptable, etc, etc. When the issue of higher standards for a teacher came up (I was thinking James 3:1) he said I misinterpreted the passage. Unfortunately, after dropping the class & talking with the dean, it seems this is headed no where as far as being dealt with. That is why I withdrew completely.

The school is good as far as I can see in other areas, but it sure taints my view to see this happen.

How far can one 'push' the standards for elders/teachers? I was told there were 'contract considerations' to take into mind, etc. In other words, we can't do anything about it due to this 'contract'.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you plant enough churches you will probably have at least one failed one.

Most of the seminary professors were successful pastors. In fact the average among them was about ten years. Many of them were serving as interim pastors. But the SBC would not let their seminary professors be full time pastors like they did several years earlier. Many years ago when the SBC was younger the majority of their professors were pastors but now the SBC doesn't want that.The SBC will only allow them to be an interim pastor. But if you knew how little a starting professor makes you would be shocked. A starting laborer makes about the same. The majority of pastors out of seminary will be paid more than a starting professor with a Ph.D.

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If you plant enough churches you will probably have at least one failed one." Ya think :) not exactly what I was talking about but very true. I was speaking of men leaving school, failing in a church or two and going into teaching.

Son of Thunder: Good to know someone would take a stand! "Gray area" is a catch all for just about everything these days isn't it :-( I'm sure a little swearing helps a student to learn Greek quicker :)

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the implication is "If you CAN, do. If you CAN'T, teach."

That has not been the case in any schools I know. If God calls a man to teach seminary (let's say Church History or Hebrew) then he may NEVER pastor. May get his education, get experience teaching, then go teach at a seminary.

That is NOT a problem, imho.

8. son of thunder

exscentric:
    Thanks for the affirmation. Although he never took the Lord's name in vain, the profanity was a blatant attempt at shock-value. He didn't like Eph. 4:29 either. Hmm.

At the time I was studying I Peter personally and was very encouraged by ch. 1 & 3. These trials happen for a reason, if for no other than my refining.

As far as taking a stand...there are many others who take greater stands than I, at a much higher price. All glory goes to Christ!

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good for you! Don't let a disobedient false etacher hold you down. I know non-believrs who would agree with you. The scripture does talk about how teachers are held to a higher standard. That man should be exposed. We should know the name of that school and the professor. He needs to be removed from the classroom and put out to pasture.

10. son of thunder

gb93433:
    I appreciate the encouragement. I guess my goal in this whole sitation is what is found in James 5:19-20:

- My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth, and one turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death, and will cover a multitude of sins.

I really would like to see this prof come to the realization of wrongdoing and be restored into a right relationship with Christ. Would "exposing" him to the point of dismissal from the institution (if indeed they would follow through) do that? Believe me, I have struggled through many different thoughts on this situation. Any thoughts on this continuing sitation?

Thanks!

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If the dean agrees with the professor then what does that tell you about the godliness there? I see the same sort of thing you are mentioning on the rise everywhere. Christians should hold to the highest standards.

EPh. 5:3,4, " But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints; and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks."

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

What was the profanity?

The s word, the f word, the a word, the d word, the h word?

What was the context?

13. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may be wrong, but if it was (is) habitual, these points have no meaning.

I have seen people that just love to quote someone else's profanity so they could use the words, but salve their own guilt by "I'm just quoting ---"!

Not going to go so far as to say that there is never a TRUE context for some profanity, but as far as I'm concerned it would be EXTREMELY RARE!!!

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Sure it has meaning.

What was the context? How often? A slip-up?

How can we analyze the situation without knowing what happened? or how often it happened?

I'm just asking for a little context.

I also agree with you about quoting other's writings. Profanity has this incessant quality about it that becomes more and more frequent when "permitted." This is one besetting sin where total abstinence must be practiced, because there doesn't seem to be anyway to control it once you let it out! Not that we shouldn't strive for "total abstinence" for any sin, but I think you know what I mean.

For me, gluttony doesn't increase with frequency if I mess up once. But profanity, at least for me, is a different story.

Because I struggle with this sin, I sure wouldn't want my professor glibly swearing. You know what I mean? I need good role models, and positive reinforcement; not implied endorsement.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, using anglo-saxon/celtic/folk terms in English made not be "genteel", and some think them "crude", but they are not EVIL.

Scatological terms cause us to raise eyebrows, but are a part of the language. I, too, would be interested in exactly what was said that would cause such a reaction on YOUR case.

16. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've always heard that the kids of alcoholic parents would either be tee-totalers, or become alcoholics themselves.

That fits my situation pretty accuretly re: profanity. My dad used profanity profusely as I was growing up, so now I reject any and all forms of same.

I'm obviously far more "allergic" to this type of language than most people; even than most Christians it seems.

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Hey scooter,

Are you going to fill us in on the context?

18. scooter

scooter New Member

At one time I was associated with a baptist seminary and the issue came up in regards to a faculty member who had some family issues. The board and the faculty member determined that he no longer met the qualifications for elder or deacon.

The follow-on question was whether or not this disqualified him from being a seminary professor. Obviously, the board members understood that Scripture specified qualifications for church leadership, not seminary professorship. The thinking - at least on the part of some men - went like this, "How can we train men for church leadership, when our own professors either don't set a godly example, or don't meet the qualifications for leadership themselves."

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Thanks scooter,

Also, Son of Thunder, it was your example concerning profanity in a professor.

Are you going to fill us in on the context?

20. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Son of Thunder,

Where are you?