1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about a "greek" word

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Paul1611, Jun 30, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Paul

As several have pointed out the present active indicitave verb form's usage in Greek to indicate an on going action, I would like to point out just how easy it is to twist scripture without even going to the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic. Unfortunately, when someone adds "In the Greek it REALLY means 'xyz'", they get a fealing of completed action in whatever point they are trying to win.

While they can be genuine, when people go to the Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic to make their point I usually suspect their motive.

IMO

Having said that, reading the GNT this second time has made the Word more meaningful to me in English.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Thank you, Charles Meadows. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :praise:

Good luck on getting folks to believe it.

:tear:

3. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Brother Bob, I just knew there had to be something we agree on and here it is!

But I have found a Greek word-study useful from time to time, but like has been said, it is usually abused to make an argument seem indisputable. Also, I agree that Greek words, like English words, can only be understood, after basic grammatical application, in their CONTEXT.

I often get angry with people that start quoting Greek words to prove their point because it strikes me as dishonesty - an attempt to put up a smoke scrren to divert the discussion away from the point being made.