1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about "Christian Postmodern" churches

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Askjo, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

The story about the Apostle John's letters to 7 churches is found in the Book of Revelation. You know a word, "postmodernism." To discuss about "Christian postmodern" churches is to decide whether they are or not.

My question about "Christian postmodern" churches: Are they Laodicean churches?

2. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I would say they have aspects of many of the churches in revelation, in that there may be some good points, but they are tolerant of so much bad teaching and bad practice that it counters their message, if they have a message at all.

I would recomend 2 books: First, to see the crazy stuff Emerging churches do and their own explainations why (having ladies dance in bikinis, for one)...read this book (it is actually supposed to be supporting emerging churches):
    http://www.amazon.com/Emerging-Churches-Christian-Community-Postmodern/dp/0801027152/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329783559&sr=8-1

Also read D.A. Carson's "Becoming conversant with the emerging church (I critique of their message):
    http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Conversant-Emerging-Church-Understanding/dp/0310259479/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329783559&sr=8-3

For the most part, It seems to me that the postmodern church idea has come and gone, at least in the emergent sense. It was thinly veiled liberalism, trying to redefine scripture to suit their own desires, and in some cases the gospel got lost. The fruit of that movement is simply not there, and has faded away.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo, would you give me your definition of the word "postmodern"? Thanks.

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I admit I did jump the gun and assume I knew what the OP meant by "Postmodern." When I hear "postmodern church," I immediately thing of emerging/emergent churches.

About 10 years ago I was somewhat enamoured with the Emerging church movement, but after some research saw that was, for the msot part, not being faithful to scripture.

5. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

To me , the 2 prominent groups would be under the labels of Emergent churches, and new Evangelical Left!