1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about degree path

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Psalm 100, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

I'm still working on an undergrad degree, and I know I want to be in ministry in some capacity, but I seem to be drawn to administrative fields. Is there a degree path for church administration?

2. Brother Ian

Brother Ian Active Member

I've not heard of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. Have you considered majoring in Business Administration? I know there are some who would disagree, but many aspects of a business degree would translate well to the administration in the church.

Pastoral Studies might be a viable choice as well. I had several classes targeted to administration in my degree path.

3. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's nothing wrong with a good old BBA. You might be able to find a class or two specific to the business side of running a church. IRS waivers, that kind of thing.

4. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I agree that a BBA is a good viable alternative (probably better even [​IMG] ) and then your electives can be church/pastoral based.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Getting a degree in business will also help you should you need to be bi-vocational or are without a church for an extended period of time. Besides, knowing about trusts, taxation financial statements, etc., is something pastors will find invaluable.

6. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

Thank you for your responses. My next question would be, how hard is it to go from a BBA to a MDiv? Would there be a lot of undergrad classes I would need to take in addition to the BBA?

7. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps 100,

The BBA would be a great segueway(sp?) into the MACE and then on into the EdD degrees.

The MACE, as you probably know, is the Master of Arts in Christian Education. It is the foundational degree for the Doctorate of Education from the seminary. With the EdD you could teach seminary, liberal arts Christian university, Bible college, administration, and in many other disciplines and venues.

If you were to apply to the right secular university with the MACE, you might could even go there and do the secular EdD.

The BBA is a very good choice that would/could open many doors in the future. Many of those reasons/ideas have been well expressed above. [​IMG]

sdg!

rd

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ps 100,

I just saw the last part of your last post.

The MDiv is designed especially for folk like you who have no "Bible College" background.

There has been extensive discussion about this very issue. You could go back and research that topic on the BB without having "to reinvent the wheel" if you wished? [​IMG]

sdg!

rd