1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Mormonism

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by NewGrrl, Apr 22, 2005.

1. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

First post! I'm not Baptist (although I was raised Baptist). I have a friend who is Mormon. He recently told me that there are three separate "gods" - the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. What are the Biblical arguments for the trinity? I think John 10:30 is a good justification for Jesus and the Father being one. What verses support the idea of the Holy Spirit being part of the trinity.

Thanks!!!

2. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Please answer...

3. baptistk

baptistk New Member

4. natters

natters New Member

Show him John 17:3 ("And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.") and then ask him which of his three gods is the only true one. Mormons don't like that question. [​IMG]

If the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all "God" but there is only one true God, then the only conclusion is that they are the same one God, not three.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus referred to himself as God many times in the gospels.

Lots of information at http://www.hismin.com/

6. P_Barnes

P_Barnes New Member

There sure would be a lot more Mormons if Old Joe had kept those golden tablets. It's probably cheaper than being a Scientologist, though. :D

7. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Thought he lost them!

David

8. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Thanks everyone for their help. Are there any verses that specifically address the Holy Spirit being part of the trinity? So far there are a lot of verses addressing Jesus and God the Father being one. Anything that specifically addresses the Holy Spirit? My friend told me that this was simply decided by the church with no scriptural basis. I knew Baptists would be able to help me answer that.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the Baptism of Jesus (Mt 4 as well as Mark and Luke) the Triune Godhead is present.

At the transfiguration of Jesus (Mk 9) the Triune Godhead is present.

Even at the great commission (Mt 28) we are commanded to go, make disciples and baptize in the name of the Triune Godhead.

10. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Thank you Dr. Bob.

11. natters

natters New Member

Acts 5. Verse 3, Peter said Ananias and Sapphira lied "to the Holy Ghost". The next verse, he says they had "not lied unto men, but unto God".

12. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Dr. Bob - since you bring up the great commission... What of the argument that when Christ commands we baptize in the name of the Father AND the Son AND the HOLY SPIRIT, that this means they are 3 distinct "gods"? I understand that the word "name" is singular. I wonder if the Greek is more clear? Could the "name" Christ is referring to be "God"? I never really pondered the verse until my friend brought this up...

I really appreciate everyone's responses. :)

13. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Thanks Natters!

14. Carolina Baptist

Carolina Baptist Active Member

1 John 5:7 "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

15. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Carolina Baptist: 1 John 5:7 in NIV and NAS says "for there are three that testify." The footnote indicates that "and these three are one" is only in the Vulgate and not in the Greek. This troubles me. The Vulgate was the official RCC version translated circa 400 A.D.

I would assume by that time the trinity was part of the RCC doctrine and so they might be tempted to add in "and these three are one", even if it is not in any original text. Thoughts? I am by no means an expert on this, so please feel free to correct my errors (as I'm sure you will).

16. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is some food for thought, NewGrrl: As a former Jehovah's Witness, I can tell you that the JWs also reject the doctrine of the trinity (a teaching that is widely accepted by Christian denominations). [​IMG]

The fact that the two most popular cults agree on this issue should tell you something.

And, yes, they are indeed "cults"--don't let anyone convince you otherwise. Take it from one who knows. Been there, done that! ;)

17. NewGrrl

NewGrrl New Member

Alexander - I DO agree that JW and LDS are cults. And, I also agree that is a good reason to doubt their three gods idea.

I just wanted to have solid footing on the Bible for believing in the Holy Trinity. Just because a belief is traditional does not mean it's true.

I appreciate your response. Maybe you can help me with my other question (about women covering their head)?