1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Rev 2:17

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by I Am Blessed 24, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I certainly don't claim to have a handle on it either! :laugh:

I'm still working on it. It's my view now that this "overcoming" refers to that particular church that had to overcome the false teachings, and/or possibly in a larger context to those believers overcoming during the tribulation, which means they were martyred.

I think these are 2 separate things but the statement could apply to both - there is a theme of martyrdom and overcoming in the book.

Btw, I am pre-trib rapture -- at least for now. I think one's view of eschatology is going affect how they see all this. :wavey:

2. Beth

Beth New Member

Marcia

Oh, Ok! I agree, one's view of the rapture does indeed lend to different interpretations of Revelation. I myself and partial to the pre-wrath position.

3. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think John Gill has a good understanding:
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

4. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Thank you all. There are some very good answers here. This summer has been crazy, but this winter I will have time to delve deeper into Revelation.

5. joyce

joyce New Member

The verse about "overcoming" leads me to believe that this is definately a tribulation verse, as we don't have to do any overcoming in the dispensation of Grace; because He has done it for us, those going through the tribulation will have to do a lot of overcoming; the white stone also brings to mind a practice that the nation of Israel had with a white stone and black stone, (can't remember much about where that came from; but remember reading that there was a practice of drawing a stone out of a container that was full of black ones and white ones I think; and so does manna and it being hidden of course, would be like the pearl that was hidden parable; plus God fed the Israelites with manna during the 40 years in the wilderness and of course, will feed them again in the tribulation at Petra. Don't know if my thoughts are the same as everyone else's but that is my opinion.
    YSIC
    Joyce