1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about RW's prayer

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ajg1959, Jan 26, 2009.

1. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Rick Warren said something about MLK looking down from heaven and being happy about a black president being elected....

Are dead christians in heaven watching us now from heaven? Or will they rise from their graves during the rapture? If there are dead christians in heaven right now, are they even concerned about the world and are even able to see it?

And what difference would race make to God, or to anyone else in heaven?

This makes me wonder if RW's prayer was inspired by the Holy Spirit, or was it inspired by public opinion? Or if RW even has a knowledge of the Bible and its teachings? If he does then why would he say these things?

Lots of questions....not many answers

AJ

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

AJ, I would like to comment but based on past experience, I would be called a RW hater or basher. :BangHead:

Glad you're doing well!!!! :flower:

3. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you Amy...I am doing better, and joining in the debate once again is helping me also. Its been too long since I even thought about the issues that are discussed on here daily....but I am back. LOL

AJ

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm glad you're back. I enjoy your posts. :wavey:

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't forget false accuser :D

AJ, there is a very similar thread going http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=56451

6. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if RW meant this literally or was simply using an expression that is commonly used in our culture. I expect just about all of us have at one time or another said something about someone looking down from heaven. I believe I have heard the words "looking down from heaven" in a number of sermons I have heard.

I do not put much important on judging a person's theology if an expression such this.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes their personal attacks are quite effective. Never question the almighty RW.

It was a very poor use of words and quickly lends to a belief that he has a poor understanding of what he said.

8. PeterM

PeterM Member

Did not Abraham, Lazarus, and the rich man as depicted in Luke 16 have a certain awareness and concern for this world beyond the grave?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"Rev" you keep slurring RW as the "almighty". I hope you are glad taking the Lord's name in vain, not to mention attacking one of God's workers.

I've been as falsely accused that I'm in love with him, and agree with everything he says and does, even on the very thread where I disagreed with him. Calling out someone's motives falsely, and saying things that are not true deliberately, constitute bashing, and these actions are not of love.

#9 webdog, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not to mention Elijah and Moses, and the martyrs who knew their deaths had not been avenged

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Yes they did, and that is one of the reasons for my questions. But, if the "dead in Christ" will rise first during the rapture, then who are they? And why wasnt Abraham and Lazarus part of them?

AJ

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

In my theological work I've continually arrived at the point that it is hard to speak concretely about the temporal divide between heaven and earth. On this side of eternity we deal with linear systems, we know that there is one day and then the next. Yet, from what we can tell in Heaven time is not a fixed asset.

That said I really believe Hebrews 12 is speaking of those who have died and can still witness our actions here on earth. Added with Luke 16 we see a clear indication that those in Heaven (or Hell) have the knowledge of what goes on here on earth.

I suggest that there is knowledge of what goes on. Of course part of theology is colored because I don't believe in a rapture or tribulation period, though I am a premillenialist.

I don't know if it makes any. I do believe that when we cast aside the sinful ways of racism it glorifies God.

I thought it was a good prayer for the nation to remember. He did a terrific job bringing together people who otherwise might not find ground for commonality. Also tying in the Lord's Prayer at the end was a nice touch. Just my opinion...feel free to disagree. :wavey:

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wrong, Adding almighty is not a slurr against him it is a depiction of the way he is presented on this board. I have posted articles with no personal comment which questions his theology, use of scripture or methods and have been soundly attacked even by you and an admin on this board. You can characterize it how ever you want. But the defense of him on this board is as if he can do no wrong.

14. rbell

rbell Active Member

I agree with this.

It would seem just as likely to me that he was simply careless with a phrase.

Not justifying it...but I'm just saying...

I would hope that my above posts show that this is an overgeneralization.

15. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Rick Warren is getting involved in politics now and soon will be more concerned about favorable media coverage than the Truth. He desires to be loved and accepted by all and will compromise in order to get himself ingratiated with the Washinton establishment.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prohets. Luke 6:26

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Posts like this one is the perfect example of "bashing" based on nothing but un-Christlike motivation by questioning his character, intent and goals. Shame on you!

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Glad you know his heart so well...:rolleyes:
    Could he slide? Yep.
    Do you know the condition of his heart? Nope.

If one wants to make a point about the extremes of those supporting RW, let us not forget those who go out of their way to run him down. The man should not be worshiped; but neither should believers look for opportunities to slander a minister of the gospel.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's my understanding....I'm not going to back it up with Scripture because, honestly, I should be homeschooling and I need to get my butt out of this chair so I don't have time to post a long thought out post. LOL

I don't think people in heaven can see what's going on on earth just because if they did, there would be tears in heaven. I don't think there will be. Additionally, think about it - you are now at the feet of Jesus - would you really even CARE what was going on someplace else?

Speaking of the dead in Christ shall rise, I believe that means our physical bodies will rise. Our souls will have been in heaven from the time of death (to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord), but our physical bodies will be in the grave just as Jesus' body was. However, just as Jesus' physical body was resurrected later, so will our bodies.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Calling him the almighty is a slur against God. There is only one who is called this, and it's not RW. That is taking God's name in vain.

The articles you have posted have been nothing buy convulated mistruths from questionable sources with clear motives in sight...to drag him through the mud...even after they have been refuted. You dont' need to add personal comments, the fact you post ths trash says enough. He's the new poster boy to trash, and it brings great joy to a number of people right here to do so. He has shown to be in error on some issues, but the blatan lies and trashing are totally uncalled for. See the trash right above me I replied to as evidence of just this.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well what do ya know?

This could be true but given his experience and education would have to be a complete blonde moment.

Why? One comment straightens everything out? My statement was exact and to the point.