1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about Seminaries/Divinity Schools

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, Apr 30, 2005.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm interested in finding out about good, strong, academically-focused seminaries or divinity schools.

Requirements:
    1. non-Southern Baptist (I'm already familiar with them.)
    2. ATS accredited
    3. non-Catholic (not interested in canon law)
    4. non-dispensational, non-pretribulational
    (note: I mean by this that their statement of faith does not require these beliefs of professors or students.)

Also, I'm not really interested in debating any of my criteria, but if you have any schools in mind, post and let me know!

I had absolutely no clue where to post this to allow all Christians to post, so feel free to move it, Moderator, if any other place is more suitable.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will move this to the college/seminary forum.

BTW, I have NO answer. TEDS (Trinity) is great, as is DTS (Dallas), but they will be too fundamental for your requirement.

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is there any way to exempt this thread from the Baptist only requirement?--That's why I didn't post it in the college/seminary section in the first place.

4. RandR

RandR New Member

Beeson isn't technically "Southern Baptist", as in supported by the CP, but it would likely fit the other criteria.

Also Mid-America. Very conservative, but wouldn't require a pre-trid/dispensational understanding of last things.

And with all due respect to Dr. Bob, I'm not sure TEDS would either. And I'm told that DTS doesn't require its students to agree to anything about dispensationalism anymore, but I couldn't prove it, and would be willing to bet that it still permeates the NT and Theology classes.

I'd probably shy away from most of the Baptist seminaries founded in protest of the SBC--Truett, Candler, Wake Forest, etc. though they would probalby fit most of the criteria you list.

5. RandR

RandR New Member

Also Denver Seminary.

6. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

Take a look at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. It has campuses in S. Hamilton and Boston, MA, as well as in Charlotte, NC. You might like Ashland Theological Seminary outside Cleveland in Ashland, OH. Good luck!

http://www.gordonconwell.edu/
    http://www.ashland.edu/seminary

[ May 01, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: PatsFan ]

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

8. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

BTW Candler is not Baptist at all. It's a Methodist seminary.

http://www.ats.edu/members/candlerc.html

9. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    StefanM,

Beeson @ Samford would be a good choice but is somewhat expensive. Check out the two major metroplex centers; one in Atlanta and one in Chicago. You can register at one and then take courses at the others (probably 6 or 7 in the mix from which to choose). Then choose the institution from which you want to graduate.

I got my doctorate from The University of the South's (Sewanee) School of Theology. Did some of my best learning there. It is moderate to liberal Episcopal. I also studied at Harding University Graduate School of Religion here in Memphis. It is CoC but has a high view of Scripture and uses the Historical-Critical method of Bible interpretation for backgrounds and such. Good school but they might want to "have you obey the Gospel and be baptized into" "the Lord's church!" All of these might be a "good fit" if one wanted to study outside of their own tradition.

BE FORWARNED HOWEVER!!! If one is not "up to speed" on the extra-denominational questions, critical issues, and denominational "double-speak," a person could spend much time doing master's level work trying to sort out what they believe and how to defend it.

Please take this into consideration. Sometimes a person needs to be programmed into their own tradition/denomination on the Master's level in order to deal with the broader world of our more liberal brethren. I am not saying to avoid them, just understand that all do not say "shiboleth" or "siboleth" like we Baptists do.

My two cents worth from where I have been and seen!

sdg!

rd

10. Broadus

Broadus Member

I recommend you check out the following:
    Reformed Theological Seminary--- www.rts.edu ;
    Westminster Theological Seminary --- www.wts.edu ;
    Westminster Theological Seminary in California --- www.wscal.edu ; and
    Knox Theological Seminary --- www.knoxseminary.edu .

All are strong academically and highly recommended.

Blessings,
    Bill

11. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I, too, would have to disagree with Dr. Bob on TEDS. TEDS is strongly evangelical without being sectarian.

I would highly recommend TEDS and Gordon-Conwell if you want the freedom to explore various traditions without any one being expected (Reformed, Dispensational, Calvinism, Arminianism, etc.)

12. RandR

RandR New Member

My bad. Mixed up Emory and Mercer. They're both in Atlanta and both have the letters "m," "e," and "r" in them! ;)

13. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Truett is actually a fine seminary - affiliated with the BGCT and Baylor University - not a SBC school. Probably more historicaly Baptist than many of the SBC schools

14. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've heard good things about Truett, but Waco, TX...well, anywhere in TX...is about the last place I want to go for seminary. No offense to you Texans out there, but the climate is not for me.

15. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

http://www.ats.edu/members/candlerc.html [/qb][/QUOTE]My bad. Mixed up Emory and Mercer. They're both in Atlanta and both have the letters "m," "e," and "r" in them! ;) [/QB][/QUOTE]

Very understandable. I forgot all about Mercer.

16. RandR

RandR New Member

There is no worse place to be in July and August than Waco, TX. Dallas heat with Houston humidity. 95 feels like 105. It may be hot, but at least its not in Arkansas! ;)

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Rand

I was wondering myself about how anyone in Arkansas could complain about weather anywhere else!

Although in fairness to Stephan - the only month that I have a hard time playing at least one round of golf - is August!

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh good heavens, I'm definitely not a fan of Arkansas weather either! The ONLY reason I like this area is because I have family here.

I would like to avoid heat (and mosquitoes if possible--Arkansas has some terrible "birds" that call themselves mosquitoes).