1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about the book of Philemon

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Squidward, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Squidward

Squidward Member

Timothy is also mentioned in the salutation. Is Timothy also in prison or is he present with Paul and giving him care while in prison? Thanks

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think Tim was a prisoner.

Paul desired Tim to come to him in Rome, and so Tim came.

The letter to Colasee was probably written at about the same time, because it too mentions Tim.

But, no I don't think Tim suffered imprisonment with Paul.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There is little evidence Timothy was ever in prison with Paul. Also, Philemon doesn't appear to be a prison epistle. The promise of Paul's immanent arrival precludes this possibility. :)

4. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really?

For what was Paul doing if Rome if he were not under house arrest?

5. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

The challenge is that though Paul identifies himself as a "prisoner in Christ" in vs. 1 he does keep the likelihood of his visiting Philemon noted in vs. 22. He doesn't seem to do this in his other prison epistles.

Perhaps the challenge here is that Philemon bears so many marks with Colossians that it is hard to make a case against it being in the prison epistles. However, the brevity of the epistle isn't much help here.

I think I did overstate a bit, so I'll be happy to say there is a challenge in reconciling an impending visit by Paul to Philemon with him being in bondage. I don't see (off the top of my head, I'm not near my resources) many places where he notes that he is in chains and still looks forward to visiting.

Anyways, I don't recall Paul saying that he is in Rome in the epistle.

6. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

Perhaps he was a prisoner in a more nearby city like Ephesus. I think not just v. 1 but also vv. 9-10, 13, 22-23 indicate imprisonment however brief. I don't think the subscription in the KJV caries any critical weight.

7. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

That is a fair point. :)