1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question About the Timing of Christ's Arrival

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Arbo, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    humblethinker

Yes,,,one of us is in error.:thumbsup:

The OP asked: "My question simply put: Why did Christ come when He did?"
    It seems that way...to you...because you do not understand the biblical teaching on these things from what I can see from your posts.Naturally you will disagree.
    You and others use the term determinist and misunderstand the teaching to a point that you react against unbiblical fatalism instead.
    You are in no position to comment on what you do not understand, as recently you tried to joke in the other thread about what a calvinist would think, showing you do not understand the position at all:thumbsup: the thread about the reprobate pervert in the unbiblical church.
    Let us say what we say.....if we want advise we will ask for it:wavey:

[
    you repeat that same error...right here:wavey:

Yes.... I will stand with those confessionsl saints who have seen the same thing as I see in scripture.

2. Cypress

Cypress New Member

Iconoclast, please clear this up for me with a simple yes or no answer so that I understand your position. Do you believe that all things are already determined?

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....all things will come to pass,according to the exact ways and means God has ordained. There is no plan B.It is not needed as God has a Holy wise and just purpose in all He has ordained.

Any thought or speculation apart from or denying God's holy purpose is nothing less than wicked rebellion against revealed truth.

Some things God has chosen not to reveal.He has revealed all we need that pertains to life and godliness.

Anything that is along the line of open theism is unbelief disguised in the name of schlorship.It is dangerous so much so that you see Paul in Rom9 addressing those types of questions and shutting them down.

Nothing exists or takes place apart from God and His absolute control. Not one molecule.

Cypress...keep in mind...that is from a Divine standpoint......we pray and preach to all men without exception as God has ordained such as part of the good works we are to perform..eph2:10.

Our salvation and sanctification unfold in real time...so when critics seek to diminish this truth they paint a caricature that looks like fatalism....rather than Calvinism. It is much easier to beat up the strawman,than study out the truth.

#23 Iconoclast, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  4. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Can you present your case detailing how your belief is different from the caricature we make of it?

5. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

6. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter

Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.

(C. S. Lewis)

7. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

I agree in that I think that prior to creation God's determined to be incarnate and die to redeem mankind (I just wouldn't consider the existence prior to creation a 'timeless' existence, but as you indicated, you and I understand our disagreements on the theory of time).

Okay, so I think I'm following you regarding the idea that it was 'fixed' eternally. But it seems that you are saying that God set the timing of the incarnation... that he eternally determined that the incarnation would occur in 4 CE, at a time which we might identify as, let's say 10:05pm on December 25th. Do you not consent to the idea that many things leading up to the Incarnation were not also fixed eternally or was it the case that God, after the flood, knowing the time-table he set, orchestrated cultures and kingdoms such that they would be as they were at 4 CE? In your opinion, what else, besides the incarnation, was eternally fixed?

Oh, and regarding the OP... Maybe the answer to 'why didn't Jesus come sooner' is in some way dependent on the answer to the question 'Why didn't God create the world sooner?". ;-)

#27 humblethinker, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012
  8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Is it safe to say, Speculative at best?

9. HeirofSalvation

Site Supporter