1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question about women's attire

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by le bel, Dec 12, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

May I paraphrase here?

"Let every woman be fully convinced in her own mind."

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knew it was coming and the "usual suspects" would immediately jump.

Never disappointed! :rolleyes:

God bless those who have PREFERENCES (don't think ANYONE has a "conviction" on this for which they would die or see their children killed for) either for or against slacks, robes, dresses or anything else!

Now back to offering some HELP to the question . .

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Back to the OP.

Your dad is going to love you. A simple word like - "Daddy, my husband and I have talked this over and we feel that this decision is best for us and our daughter. We respect your views and will honour them in your presence. We do not want to go behind your back so want you to know that we will dress our daughter in the way we feel best at other times."

When Mom and Dad come to visit, or you visit them - do waht you can to "not offend."

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I cannot emphasize enough that you should base ALL clothing choices on "modesty".

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Hi GrannyGumbo! Nice to see ya! [​IMG]

Thank you C4K. Thats all we ask.

6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I think the main reason it turns into a fight is that apparently there is a perception among many here that you can make fun of and deride a person for having higher standards than you yourself have.

Of course no one would stoop to making fun of someone with lower standards than their own, but its fair game to mock those of us who see things in a stricter light.....even when we say no more than what we ourselves do personally.

This is what has bothered me in this particular thread. If it had been a debate thread on whether or not women OUGHT to wear pants, I wouldnt even have participated. Im convinced in my own mind, and usually those kinds of threads are only there to try to convince people like me that Im either:

A) a legalist
    B) a complete moron
    C) without grace

or

D) not able to really understand what I read in my Bible

Its all offensive, so why even get involved? But this girl has a real question that can be answered.

But people took it upon themselves to turn it into more than that....it became a time to make fun of and try to convince us that we don't know what we are really talking about and we ought to "get right."

All we ask for is respect.

7. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Well...I would post my solution and general remarks on the OP but as usual bapmom has already took the words right out of my mouth! [​IMG]

Hi bapmom [​IMG]

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

9. gekko

gekko New Member

woah woah woah. now B.M. you seem to be going a little far into the assumption district. Let me clarify that i was laughing NOT at anybodys convictions. i was laughing at what Saggywoman had said about Spiritual pants and whatnot. I respect everybody's convictions and am NOT trying to convince anybody otherwise of their convictions. i WAS stating a FACT that nowhere in the bible does it say whether we should wear slacks or dresses. only a fact. i wasnt labelling anybody as:

"A) a legalist
    B) a complete moron
    C) without grace

or

D) not able to really understand what I read in my Bible"

in no way would i try and do that. i was NOT making fun of or trying to convince anybody that they dont know what they're talking about.

have a great day.

10. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well gekko,

I hope you really weren't making fun. But you were not the only one to whom those comments were directed.

[​IMG]

and Im having a pretty good day, thank you. You?

11. gekko

gekko New Member

im doing well. im glad things are cleared.

God bless

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Yet another lie by legalist pharisees. Female equestrians wore pants long before 200 years ago.

I challenge anyone who makes such a ridiculus claim to explain modesty in slacks for men 2000 years ago. In order for such an argument as this to hold water, we men should all be wearing kilts.
    It is the legalist who doesn't understand modesty, choosing to infuse a manmade doctrine forbidding the wearing of pants by women, rather than searching the scriptures in detain to discover that not a single verse forbids the wearing of pants by women, of men, for that matter.

In fact, the "worldliness" that legalists wield to denounce pants on women is the same "worldliness" that decided dresses are for women and not men.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Attire for the event is not the determing factor, and don't ever call me a "pharisee" again , Brother.

I believe in morality, you don't, except to your standards which are not biblical.

To address your comprimise, women who wore equestrian "pants" were a little less than moral, you could tell by the way they rode the horse!!!

A lady would never straddle, only ride side-saddle.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

To believe any part of what you wrote is truly sad. :( </font>[/QUOTE]To believe what you say concerning the issue is apostacy, that is much more "sad"

14. Salamander

Salamander New Member

The issue is for "preists" according to God's Word, not the world's attire for the non_Christian. Application of the world's attire then trying to apporve of it by the world's examples is apostacy.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Since the "determining factors" are manmade anyway, attire for the event is certainly as much of a factor as anything else.

Then stop acting like one.

A claim that you cannot substantiate with scripture, which is evidence to your pharisaical tone as noted earlier. The standards which you attempt to apply to all are not based on scripture, but are man-made standards.

Since you have failed to show evidence that pants on women is immoral, your claim that equestrian pants on women widers is morally likewise fails miserably.
    I can't find that verse in scripture. Lacking that, it is yet another manmade doctrine to insist such as a litmust test for scriptural modesy.

16. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Please understand, this is coming from a happily married, red-blooded American male and is not a condemnation of your attire. Every man, and I mean EVERY MAN battles lust to one degree or another. God made woman too beautiful not to admire and it is far too easy to take it too far. I would like to be able to go to church and not have to fight the same battles I fight the rest of the week but, unfortunately, some of the young woman there 'turn it up' at church. Why is this necessary? Why do women want every man looking at them? Now I know I'm not the only one noticing because I've seen many of the men getting a second look more than once. Why, oh please tell me why, a woman would want to become the object of another man's desire at church, of all places? :confused: :eek: