1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for all arminians

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Christos doulos, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

These 2 verses have always confused me.

The man that loves darkness is unsaved, correct?

Who is the man that does truth? He would be a saved man, correct? His deeds are good and they show they have been wrought in God? That has to be a saved person. How did he get saved before coming to Jesus? :confused:

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Am I being shunned? :)

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

No, I have tried to answer twice, but am having a few wifi problems tonight. I will try again.

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

Cornelius was not saved, and yet he feared God with all his house, gave much alms, and prayed always. We know he was not saved because of what the angel said to him.

Acts 11:13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
    15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

Cornelius was not saved when the angel spoke to him, yet he had probably sought God for years, as he had a good reputation among all the Jews, who did not take to Gentiles. And God heard his prayers and recognized his good deeds.

It is the word of God that creates a desire to seek God as Cornelius did. No man can come to Jesus unless he has heard the word of God from the Father and believes it.

Jhn 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

Calvinists are correct that no man can possibly come to Jesus unless the Father draws him, but they err on HOW this is done. It is done through the word of God which draws, convicts, and teaches a man. I could have never trusted Jesus unless I heard the gospel, and neither could you.

Mat 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

A person who has come to Jesus has been forgiven and is righteous, therefore Jesus is speaking of unsaved, unregenerate persons here. It is the "truth", the word of God which creates desire in a man and draws him to Christ.

And this is what we see with Cornelius, he sought God with all his heart, and God answered his prayers and he was filled.

#24 Winman, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
  5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks. :thumbsup:

6. Winman

Winman Active Member

I had written much better posts (IMHO) but they were lost, I am using wifi tonight, weak signal.

Jesus is speaking of the word of God in John chapter 6.

Jhn 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
    64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
    65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

The word of God is not ordinary words, they are spirit and life. But a man must believe them. Therefore, no man can come to Jesus unless he receives the word of God given him by the Father. This is what Jesus was saying in vs. 45, "every man" that has heard and been taught by the Father comes to him.

And how are we taught? Do we get supernaturally zapped with knowledge? NO. We are taught by the Holy Scriptures which were given by the Father. But again, you must believe. It was when you heard the word of God and believed it that you came to Jesus. This is how we ALL came, there is no other way.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I as a Reformed believer do that.....I have no interest in it. But I will stay out of it.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would you use arminian sources in order to argue against arminianism? The obvious answer is because you actually want to argue arminian viewpoints, not what someone else says are arminian viewpoints. If a non-cal says that calvinists believe this or that, when it's obvious they don't actually understand the calvinist view on that topic, would you encourage them to read what other non-cals think calvinists believe on the subject? Or would you post what Calvin himself and other calvinists have written on the subject?

If you only use materials from your side of the viewpoint, then do you actually understand what the other viewpoint really is?

This post is not necessarily directed at you; hope you understand that.

9. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I didn't say the chooser created himself. I said the chooser makes choices, just as the creator designed him with the ability to do.

That is absurd and not even worthy of a response. :rolleyes:

10. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In order for me to be an arminian I would have to have similar beliefs as that of Calvinist. There isn't much I believe to be similar with Calvinism.

If one believes God is full of grace this very fact means God is gracious in that He allows men the choice of whether or not to submit to the righteousness of God. Some Jews for instance seek God everyday yet because they refuse to accept Christ as the way of Salvation they are still in rebellion. Romans 10:1-4. I personally cannot understand how a Jew can be so close to Salvation and still reject it base solely on the words of Rabbi's. It seems to me they place a higher value on the words of mere men than God Him Self. Even the Old Testament tells us of Jesus Christ
    Yet this does not make me an Arminian. Hindus for example could also believe everything a man does is predetermined yet this wouldn't make them Calvinist, would it?

• Calvinists argue that God has determined which individuals will believe; to make their faith possible, he calls them to salvation in such a way that their own wills are overpowered so that they cannot possibly resist the call to salvation.
    [/quote]
    Are you just a puppet? How convient this would be. We could blame God for our rebellion. A means of a back up defense before the throne. This of course just in case you are completely wrong in you assumation and what other men have taught you. Simply this view is not in scripture nor is it even implied.
    This is yet another of your assumptions. Arminians believe they were created with freewill and the works of God has nothing to do with man's own rebellion

It certainly seems you do want to argue it because of your assumptions that you are absolutely right and those of us who are not Calvinist are absoluely wrong
    The reason you do not see it is the same reason I do not see God enabling someone who was previously disabled.
    Man has never been disabled from believing in the gospel this is just a Calvinist fairy tale. The opposite of something that has been assumed to be true requires another assumation to defeat it and I don't believe in assumations.

Simple it's called freewill to make choices for our selves. It's why we can be held responsible for our choices.
    MB

11. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

:thumbsup: Well stated Winman.