1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Dispensationalists

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Monergist, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Wes, Outwest,

I think you may have misunderstood my post and maybe this response will make things more unclear. But here goes!

You said,
    Indeed, I have met social adept persons who mimic what a Christian should live like while on the earth. Their unbelief will still earn themselves a place in Hell.

Secondly, theologically speaking the Incommunicable Attributes of God are that of the Omnipresence of God, the Omnipotence of God, and the Omniscience of God. These are only attributes that God has and can demonstrate.

Thirdly, the Communicable Attributes of God are the ones that the Lord has and can and does give to His born of the Spirit people. The fruit of the Spirit are a result, as you have said, because of our faith/trust in Christ.

You are absolutely wrong that a sinner may have the fruit of the Spirit. The lost may exhibit many of the things listed in Galatians 5:19-21. Sinners cannot offer up to God any of the fruit of the Spirit, because they have not been regenerated by the Spirit of the Lord. Those who are saved, the elect, should be portraying some of the fruit as noted in 5:22-23. It is one of the proofs of sonship with the Lord, our Savior. All of the fruit of the Spirit have been transferred from the Lord into our lives as believers because of our union with and to Him.

The cardinal fruit of the Spirit is love.
    ‘Beloved, let us love one another; for love is of God and everyone who loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.’ [I John 4:7]

‘He who loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.’ [4:8]

‘Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.’ [4:11]

‘We love Him, because He first loved us.’ [4:19]

If I recall correctly, this Apostle of love, John was the only male disciple/apostle who stood with Mary at the time of our Lord’s crucifixion.

Your words, 'behavorial traits' should remain with the psychologists and psychiatrists. We do not want to imply that we can learn to be Christian or that the church tries to mimic the fruit of the Spirit, or that we try to follow the example of Christ which will produce these qualities.

The transferable or communicable attributes happens because by the regeneration of the Holy Spirit we are 'one with Him.' The Holy Spirit produces the fruit in our lives, as we obey He and His Word.

Hope this makes things clear . . .

2. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Wes.

If you like but I don't see how that can help your case. If belief resides in your spirit then in fallen man this cannot exist because the spirit of man is dead.
    You may say that it says nowhere that the spirit of man is dead but that would be like Adam and Eve, to believe the lie. GE 3:4 "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. 5 "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."
    When you eat of it you will die. Not at some point in the future. Now.
    Gen 2:17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.
    Spiritual death was instantaneous as the fig leaf and the, "Where are you?." Shows.
    As the blaming God started, "That woman you..." Gen 3:12.
    As the children of men were made after Adam's likeness instead of God's likeness.
    GE 5:1 This is the written account of Adam's line.
    When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God. 2 He created them male and female and blessed them. And when they were created, he called them "man. "
    GE 5:3 When Adam had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.

"does the human spirit give life to the human flesh?" I think this is too simplistic a model for what we are. You make it sound as if the body is just a vehicle our spirits drive around. We are more complex than that. The body has desires. It has control over the fallen nature.
    Unfinished.
    Jesus says the answer is YES! A scriptural reference would not go amiss.
    One clue is the number of occupied graves.

Right! Back from the Twilight Zone. Death. It's a funny thing death is. There are two deaths. One is the type of the other. Physical death, or as David called it, the shadow of death, the one he did not fear, is a seperation of the spirit from the body whereupon the body starts to decay. As far as I know.
    Spiritual death is that seperation of man's spirit from communion with his maker. That happened to Adam and Eve the moment they did the deed and we are born in Adam's likeness. Dead in our sins and transgressions.

EX 4:11 The LORD said to him, "Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
    AM 8:11 "The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD, "when I will send a famine through the land--not a famine of food or a thirst for water, but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.
    RO 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
    RO 9:14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
    RO 9:16 It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy.

No He doesn't.

I can't understand how you can come to this conclusion. It's make-believe.
    RO 2:12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
    It's quite unambiguous. It says that those who do not know the law will die regardless of the fact they did not know the law. Ignorance is no excuse. If you break a law, whether you know it or not, you are a lawbreaker. It might mitigate but it does not absolve you. That is the first part of that verse. The second part reads that those who do know the law will be judged according to that law! That is not a judgement made on belief or unbelief but did you keep the commandments? Would you like to comment on this?

I thought you said that you have to believe. Belief is what saves you. Yet when God says, "And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Rev 20:10."
    You say He does not mean that? At least you are consistant. Is that not unbelief? What? Don't you think He has the right?

It was not a personal remark.
    But alas, not all put their faith in Jesus. You still have not answered this. What is faith? "Faith in" is 'believing in' and 'trusting in' the object of one's faith What do you trust Him for? You say you are not saved by Him but it's your faith that saves you. What is there to trust in?

Matt 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

johnp.

3. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello gb93433.

No that is wrong because you are determining the speed that Christ should direct His Church at. That is not our business. If He takes it slow and easy or fast and furious that is up to Him. He says He is the author and perfecter of our faith. The Alpha and Omega.
    If you really have so many lukewarm Christians then I would concentrate on why God is so directing things rather than dismissing the idea because He does not work at our pace.

Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in me will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Php 1:6.
    PHP 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

That is not a prayer. That's Paul's faith for the faithful in Jesus. He is confident and so am I.

johnp.

4. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Wes.

Sorry, butting in again.
    posted 29 December, 2004 13:54
    "the showing of favor towards another" Or as we know it, mercy.

posted 29 December, 2004 16:40
    Do you believe that? Your faith, from yourself, is imperishable?

But God can!
    Lk 1:44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

There's no stopping you is there?

johnp.

5. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Um, no. omniscience is a communicable attribute. Omnipotence is also a communicable attribute.

There are five incommunicable attributes: Independence, Omnipresence, Eternity, Immutability, and Unity. (from Systematic Theology, chapter 11, Wayne Grudem.) I checked this against Thomas C. Oden, a Methodist theologian, and he too agrees that omnipotence and omniscience are communicable, not incommunicable (The Living God)

Omnipotence is defined as the doctrine that God is able to do all His holy will. Omniscience is defined as the doctrine that God fully knows Himself and all things actual and possible in one simple eternal act.

Omniscience is in the category of God's mental attributes. Omniscience is communicable because God shares some of His knowledge with us. Because we have knowledge and the ability to know, we say that omniscience is a communicable attribute. We have knowledge of ourselves, God, history, etc. God's knowledge is exhaustive, whereas ours in limited.

Omnipotence falls under the category of an attribute of purpose. God's power to accomplish His purposes is infinite. We can have purpose and God even uses us to accomplish His purposes, thus, He communicates some measure of power to us. This is what gives us the power to accomplish the work of life. Omnipotence is synonymous with sovereignty. God's sovereignty is absolute and infinite. Ours in finite and limited. God's omnipotence is communicated to us because we have a will.

That's an excellent point, but you do not believe this, Ray, because you believe that saving faith lies in man and not in God. Faithfulness necessarily entails faith, and Phil. 1:29 very clearly says that believing in Christ (which is the condition we must fulfill for justification) is something God grants us...and if you say that God grants it to all persons, then you'd better be ready to defend how God must necessarily grant it to unbelievers to suffer for Christ as well.

6. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Yes Ray,
    I understood your position before, but cannot agree with it.

If I did not make my position clear, I am somewhat amused that more educated people do not understand the meaning of "made in His image" and all that it means. By making us in his image God need not "transfer gifts or "fruit of the spirit (attributes)" to us, because those gifts and attributes are within us already.

The Gifts the scriptures say God gave us, He gave us when He made us in his image. They manifest themselves in every man, sinner or saint. That is why unbelievers are able to do good works. The gift for those works in with the man. Even the fruits of the spirit are within God's creation. There is nothing that needs to be "transfered", they only need to be "activated" under the right Power, which is the power of God. God does that through His Holy Spirit in the believing human spirit!

Ray, if you fear behaving in accordance with the Gifts and spiritual fruits God gave you in making you human, then you will be gullible when the False prophet and the man of perdition team up and "take over the world". You will be easily deceived by their ability to use those gifts to decieve the whole world. You will think they are "spirit filled" because of their marvelous gifts, when in reality they are anti-christ! How did they get the Gifts if those gifts must be transfered from God?

I am not bringing a new faith to the table here folks, just a different understanding of the faith brought to us through the Son of God, Jesus!

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes and who do you think he is talking to if it is not a prayer?

Take a look at the wording in verse 3,4,9,

Paul's faith for the faithful? What is that? That sure doesn't agree with my Bible in Hebrews 11:6.

Nobody can have faith for me. So I don't know where you get that.

When you get a chance read Letters in Primitive Christianity by William G. Doty, Dan O. Via (Editor)

I. Common Elements Shared By Both The New Testament And The Contemporary Hellenistic Letter

A. Praescriptio

B. Proem (Prayer of Thanksgiving and/or Intercession)

C. Body

D. Conclusio

8. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Gene,

Micrsoft Word made a mistake this morning so I lost my material. I will be brief this time.

Dr. A.A. Hodge, a Calvinist writer disagrees with you as to Omniscience and Omnipotence. These are among the Attributes of God meaning they are Incommunicable. As I said in my other post these are some not all of them. Each writer offers up different ones, which you may not have noticed.

Yes, union with the Lord is based on saving faith. [Romans 5:1] The lost souls remain in their sins. [John 3:18]

Wes, seems to believe that the gifts of the Spirit can be produced in lost souls as well as in believers, on the basis of the ‘image of God’ in human beings. He is ultra-Arminian on this point. The gifts of the Spirit can only be given by God the Spirit into the lives of the saved. The Lord does not gift sinners with the ‘fruit of the Spirit’ and then toss them into Hell at death. That would mean that the gifts would go with them to this unthinkable place. [​IMG]

9. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello gb93433.

PHP 1:3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

PHP 1:1 Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,
    To all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons:

Well verse one ain't a prayer but it tells us who Paul is talking to.
    Verse two is a blessing from God to the people. That ain't a prayer.
    Verse three, "Everytime I remember you...". Bang goes any prayer there.
    Verse four "I am filled with joy...". Telling people what you pray for and how you pray for it, 'with joy', is not praying.
    Verse five tells them, the people, that his joy comes from the partnership he has with like minded people. Which ain't a prayer either.
    Verse seven and eight is an explanation of why Paul feels as he does which is not a prayer.
    In verse nine Paul tells the congregation at Philippi what he prays for, he prays; that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God. Php 1:9-11.
    And that is my prayer for you. Not that I am praying it but telling you I will pray it.

Who's William G. Doty?

It was a half formed thought best left out. What I meant was;
    TIT 1:1 Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ for the faith of God's elect and the knowledge of the truth that leads to godliness--
    When Paul said, "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
    That being said increases faith. It is called reassurrance, comfort. To hear Paul confirming a truth of the first importance, everlasting security, increases faith for those that believe Jesus died for our sins.
    for the faith of God's elect Paul growing faith.

Of course not but they can affect it can they not?

I shall wait for your reply before considering to buy that book because William G. Doty is onto a loser at the moment.

And at verse 6 Paul tells the congregation about his faith in Christ. That he knows His God and is confident that He will complete the work started in us.
    And that is for the faith of God's elect. Real food.

Your go. :cool:

johnp.

10. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

GeneMBridges, your post is replete of FUZZY LOGIC, BUT is like unto swiss cheese, full of holes.
    If you mean by "incommunicable", that these things cannot be transferred as in "ownership", let me assure you there are more then five that cannot be transferred. There is also Grace, Mercy, Faith, and Justice, just to name four more. No being having these can transfer them or any part of them to another being. They simply are not transferrable commodities. They are instead attributes of the one possessing them.

Omnipotence, for example, cannot be transferred or gained by any other, God is the only All powerful one else there would be OTHER GODs. Anyone who gained greater potency than God would dethrone God.
    NO NOT TRUE, Omnipotence means that there is no power any where that is greater than that of God. There can be no being that has greater power in anything than that of God.
    Then God must be doing this for ALL mankind, for even the wicked "accomplish the work of life"
    FUZZY LOGIC! 'Omnipotent' means potent in ALL ways.

If, as you say, our potency is limited then we cannot be or have omnipotence. Because we cannot have potency greater than that of God in any thing or endeavor, there is no possibility of us being greater than God in anything, or endeavor. Thus, Omnipotence is not communicable!

Omniscience can only be held by one for the same reason, if any other held greater knowledge than God, or knowledge that God did not hold, that would make God lacking and he could not then be Sovereign God because He would be dependent upon another for some piece of knowledge.
    OMNISCIENCE is not an act, it is a state of being, of having ALL knowledge, being the source of ALL knowledge. Omniscience cannot be shared. Elements of omniscience can be shared, but the condition itself cannot be. If the omniscience of God could be shared, then there would be another who is likewise omniscient.
    Then we can never have omniscience can we? So omniscience is not communicable. Except for God, I know of no being that is capable of receiving ALL KNOWLEDGE, do you?

Independence? How can any thing that we know or that we can conceive be independent of the one who created it?

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

johnp.

I should have communicated better. Sorry about that.

In a letter of that day the Praescriptio included the author/sender, the recipient, and a greeting. The Praescriptio was often followed by a prayer. Among Christians it was a prayer to God. Among the secular society it was often a prayer to a deity.

So in Phil. 1:1 is the author and the recipient. In verse two is a Greek greeting of grace... Verse three through verse 11 is the prayer followed by 1:10 through 4:20. 4:22 -22 is the Conclusio which often includes a greeting a doxology and benediction. It may include all of those or a few of them.

When you write a letter today do you use a different form than non-believers. No, of course not. You use the same form as the world but its contents is different than one from a non-believer.

I think the book is out of print. It is available used at http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=3899858&wauth=William%20G%2E%20Doty&matches=8&qsort=p

The book is more like a pamphlet of about 96 pages. If you do a search you will see him quoted in almost any kind of work done in this area. It is one of several in a series. Some in the series are great and others are not so good.

I just moved and didn't bring many of my books with me so I don't have the book with me to check out what it says about Doty. So I really don't know much about him. The book is published by Fortress Press.

If you were to examine a letter outside of the NT and compare you would see similarities.

My point was that if we understand the form then we will understand how to interpret that part. The prayer in Phil. 1 is personal to God about the Philippians. It is much like the same thing we might say to encourage someone. We often tell a person we are praying for them.

If that were a universal prayer applicable to all then we would see no failures in churches and people. But the fact is we see a lot of failures. Look at Rev. 2& 3. That is full of failure.

Look at Judas. He failed miserably and yet he was with Jesus.

In the parable of the sower Jesus talks about the seed that was cast and the maturity of each. They were all given the same seed. In the parable of the talents each did different things with the talent.

I agree with you in that others can affect my faith. Where the Christians are the strongest is where there is the most persecution.

If everything was about God and nothing about us then why all the commands in scripture?

12. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Ray,
    Ray, you are ignoring the truth here. The fruits of the spirit are non-transferable attributes of the one possessing them. Those fruits are of no eternal value to God, except when the one manifesting them is a believer. ALL humans, whom God made in HIS image have those attributes, and ALL are capable of living them in their daily lives. We see unbelievers everywhere who manifest as attributes the fruit of the spirit in their daily lives.

Those attributes most often lay dormant and non effective in humans, because they are pursuing after their own lusts. Those attributes are like the seed thrown on weedy ground and on Hard ground.(parable of the sower). Those on weedy ground start to grow but get choked out by the weeds (cares of life). Those that fall on hard ground are often plucked away by birds. Birds can be symbols of "the cares of life" or the lusts of the flesh. Then some fall on ground where there is no nutrition and though they try to get root, there is nothing to sustain them and they die. But we, each and ALL humans, have those fruits of the spirit, because we are spirit. They are part of us, and once we let, or encourage them to grow, they become a part of us and are manifested in our daily lives. Believer or non believer alike. The evidence for this is too overwhelming to ignore!

I know you have witnessed to people who have pointed out to you that their lives are better than "most Christians" they know, and that they are generous with their resources, and good neighbors, and (you fill in the blank). That is because they have and exercise those fruits of the spirit in their unsaved condition. Therefore they see no real reason to "become a Christian". Those who say these things to you need to be directed to the truth that salvation, everlasting life, is a free gift of God to only those who have faith in HIM. And they need to know that SIN is not a factor in their salvation, because Jesus paid SIN's Penalty!

Let's look at the true essence of each of the fruits. ‘Love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance'

LOVE: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    JOY: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    PEACE: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    PATIENCE: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    GENTLENESS: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    GOODNESS: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    MEEKNESS: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    TEMPERANCE: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!
    FAITH: NON TRANSFERABLE! You either have it or you don't!

For each of these fruits we humans are told we are to "have them". We are not told to go get them, but rather in the form of a command we are to Love God, Others, and Self in that order. We are commanded to Have Joy, to rejoice! Whenever a divine being appears to man the usual first communication is to "have peace". If you don't have it already where can you get it? We are commanded to be patient, to deal with gentleness, and goodness. If we don't have them where do they come from since we are commanded to have them. Meekness and Temperance along with the rest are behavioral attributes. If you don't already have them how can you behave in accordance with them? We cannot receive them from outside our selves. We are never given instruction that tells us that we can obtain these fruits from outside of ourselves. If they are external to man, you bible scholars should be able to cite the specific scriptures that tell us where to obtain them and how they are obtained. Yes, I know the first thing that will be posted is that these are gifts of the HOLY SPIRIT! Well the Holy Spirit is not Santa Clause with a big sack of gifts that he gives to those who are 'nice'. The Holy Spirit is instead the gardener that comes and pulls out the weeds, who puts the nutrients on the ground, waters the seeds and who shoo's the birds away so that our God implanted spiritual fruit can flourish within us.

When others behave in accordance with their fruit of the spirit attributes, we can only respond "in kind" if we too have them within us. These fruits are inherent in "the image of God", and ALL of us have them. But for most of us, they do not become part of us until we submit ourselves to God in FAITH. It is then that we become the children of God and we lose our doom and gloom outlook that prevented our fruit from flourishing. Much of that condition is "environmental". We have constantly been, and are continually being told BY THE CHURCH's PASTORS from early in our lives that we are worthless, dead, totally depraved, lost, worms, evil, vile, etc., etc., etc. Those things are herbicides that prevent our fruit from growing and flourishing.

Look at Jesus' message. He does not describe us in those terms. He describes us as treasure that has been misplaced that need to be found and cleaned up and restored to our rightful place in the Kingdom of God. And as cherished sheep who have stayed away from the "flock" and need to be found and returned to the sheepfold. Jesus knows that each of us is made in the image of the Father and that we have within us the fruit of the spirit. Jesus would not seek us if we were totally depraved having no redemptive value.

I agree Ray that "truth and His spiritual life/eternal life through the Spirit of God." are indeed transferable "gifts". Truth is the gift of God given in his Holy Word. Truth is not transferable from person to person, as we see the evidence here on this BBS, but it is transferable from its source to each one who "hears" the truth from its source. Each person receives through the Word, the knowledge of truth. But, it seems, we do not all agree on what the "truth" is, therefore we do not all "receive" identical truth, even though we are ALL given the one source of truth.

Eternal Life, a non-transferable gift is the free Gift of God that he Gives ONLY TO THOSE WITH FAITH, a non-transferable fruit of the spirit! I cannot give to you my eternal life, nor can you give to me your eternal life. Thus it is not transferable! It is uniquely individual and it is based solely on the faith of the individual! An individual's faith is likewise Not Transferable, but is uniquely individual and comes from the truth one perceives from God's word! The only truth that one must have faith in is Jesus! I believe that to recognized by God as a believer, one must believe that Jesus is the Son of God come in the Flesh to dwell with man, so that man can have life. We individually, and in a collective, can believe that truth. If one does not, that one is not saved out of the collective by God because that one does not believe that Jesus is the Son of God in the flesh. Thus two shall be grinding, one shall be taken the other left behind.

13. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Wes & Gene,

With all due respect you need to study both Calvinistic and Arminian theological books as to the Communicable and Incommunicable Attributes of God, before you start typing on the internet.

I cannot believe what I am hearing from you gentlemen. This is why some denominations demand going to a Bible College or a seminary before men are given a license as a pastor. You men seem as though you never read about the Attributes of God. Give us a big break!

Perhaps the biggest blunder is to say that the unsaved latently get the fruit of the Spirit.

14. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Ray,
    Sorry my friend but it is the study of those books that has caused the Calvin vs Arminius debate in the first place! In my opinion they are both detractors from True Christianity and should be avoided! Even so, debating is fun!

Attributes? Exactly what is an Attribute Ray?

Is there another definition that is not commonly held to which you elude?

Based on the evidence all around us I would challenge you to prove me wrong about the fruit of the spirit!

15. johnp.

johnp. New Member

Hello gb93433.
    Question for Dispensationalists (Page 5)

I like the way Paul tells you that he is the one sending the letter at the beginning instead of at the end of a letter. Who turned it around?

In a letter of that day the Praescriptio included the author/sender, the recipient, and a greeting.

This has passed me by. The first time I think I've heard that a pattern is present in such a formal way in letters which were composed in the Roman Empire.
    I will start from scratch and present you with my understanding of the letter as it appears in English.

Paul is talking to people not to God. Therefore it is not a prayer.
    The Praescriptio was often followed by a prayer. But not always?
    Are all of Paul's letters started like this?
    How's that for openers?

Yes but we don't talk to them as we talk to God do we? This form of letter will get Paul speaking to God instead of the people and that goes against the natural understanding of the passage.

I'm off to purgatory in the morning to finish my stint of the festive season. 200 miles to Wales to see the new year in at the in-laws. Pray for me. A long weekend.

johnp.

16. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

God believed in dispensationalism as well as the Apostle Paul. Read Ephesians 3:2. :eek:

17. Wes Outwest

Wes Outwest New Member

Good find Ray, Thanks!

18. johnp.

johnp. New Member

EPH 3:2 Surely you have heard about the administration of God's grace that was given to me for you,

What point are you making?

johnp.

19. Hotwheels

Hotwheels New Member

I'm glad to see that there aer some people like
    pastorjeff and others that understand not only understand the word of god but also understand J.V.'s statement. Remember for the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have givin it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: For it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul (Lev. 17:11) and the word also says, and almost all things are by law purged with blood; and without shedding of the is no remission of sin. (Heb. 9:22)

20. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

Hotwheels,

I appreciated your post and its emphasis on the blood of Jesus our Savior. It is only His atonement that has taken away our sins. Praise God!

I am studying the Book of Hebrews and noticed there is a clear distinction between the Old and New Covenants. The movement has been away from the animal sacrifice to the supreme sacrifice of the Son. ‘Then said, he, Lo, I come to do Thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that He may establish the second.’ [*Hebrews 10:9 & Hebrews 8:13]

Verse ten in Hebrews chapter ten, indicates that Jesus passed into our world and out only once with the mission to die, shed His blood, ‘ . . . once for all,’ to set us apart from the world once for all. This covering for sin is adequate in every way and His regeneration is a once for all act, which implants in our souls, the Holy Spirit once for all. [I John 3:9]

One of the differences in the priesthood of the old to the new covenant is that the human priests had to repeatedly shed the blood of the animals, while Jesus our High Priest was the Victim and forever remains our once for all sacrifice for sins. [Hebrews 7:25 & I John 2:1] His oblation was a one time act. [John 19:30]

The former covenant had earthly, human High Priests and they died. [Matthew 26:3] The new and better way came through Jesus, Who is our Great High Priest Who is alive forevermore. [Hebrews 2:17; 3:1; 4:14, 15; 5:1, 5, 10; 6:20; 7:26, 27, 28; 8:1, 3; 9:11, 24- 25; 10:20-22; 13:12]

Blessings on you, brother.

"Ray"