1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for former Arminians on the atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

This question is for former Arminians who are now Calvinists. This question came to me while responding to a previous thread.

In your journey from Arminianism to Calvinism, how many of you found limited atonement to be the major obstacle to embracing the doctrines of sovereign grace? If so, why?

Thanks.

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe it's nearly universal that the "L" is the last one to be accepted. Some never do, hence 4-pointers otherwise known as Amyrauldians after a guy named Amyrault.

It was basically the same for me. The strange thing was that once I saw what limited atonement was really about, that is that it is not so much who Christ did not die for as it is about who Christ DID die for and the atonements real purpose, it became the easiest one to accept. The P became the last one for me to accept fully, oddly enough, but that's settled now.

The L was not an obstacle for me accepting the other points, so I saw early on that I was going to be comfortable with T, U, I, and 1/2 of P (accepting preservation, but not preserverence).

What changed my mind finally to accept the L was realizing that the atonement was the SURETY of my salvation - it was the GUARANTEE of forgiveness to the elect. A general atonement could not provide that.

Also, it is usually the last one to be accepted because many of those scriptures which seem to have a universal application are associated with the atonement. When it becomes clear that "world" does not mean "every person that ever lived" and that "all" does not necessarily mean "each and every person" then it becomes scripturally tenable that the atonement has a limited scope.

"I lay down my life for THE SHEEP"

"by whome WE have now received the atonement"

"

Romans 5:6 For when WE were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
    Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward US, in that, while WE were yet sinners, Christ died for US.
    Romans 14:15 But if THY BROTHER be grieved with [thy] meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
    1 Cor 8:11 And through thy knowledge shall the WEAK BROTHER perish, for whom Christ died?
    1 Cor 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for OUR sins according to the scriptures;

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It wasn't a problem for me. When I went from free will to election, I didn't believe in limited atonement at first. But that wasn't because I objected to the idea. I just didn't understand what scripture said.

I objected to a whole lot of stuff in scripture after I was saved. I had a problem with creation. I had a problem with why God would order animals to be sacrificed. All kinds of silly stuff. Then one day it dawned on me (thank you God and Your Holy Spirit) that He is God (duh!). He can do whatever He pleases. And all my problems with anything in scripture seemed to vanish overnight.

By the time I understood that scripture taught limited atonement, I was ready to accept anything scripture taught whether it made me feel comfortable or not.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are there any other kind of calvinsts? Who is saved by hearing TULIP? Why is it that calvinists were once arminian...did God predestine all believers to first be arminian?

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

The great awakening was driven by Calvinist preachers. One reason many Calvinists are ex-free willers is because TODAY, free willism dominates the pulpit. It wasn't always that way.

6. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Are there any other kind of calvinsts? Who is saved by hearing TULIP? Why is it that calvinists were once arminian...did God predestine all believers to first be arminian? </font>[/QUOTE]I am writing about a theological system, not whether a person is a Christian. We all (Calvinists and Arminians) come to right standing with God through Christ and Christ alone on the basis of faith. But invariably we develop a theologic system that is keeping with the manner in which we understand scripture. This tread is a not a debate on Armianism vs. Calvinism. I simply want to hear from Christians who once held the Arminian view and now hold the Calvinist view. Please don't hijack the thread. Thanks.

7. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Limited atonement was my stumbling block. For a long time I just refused to deal with it. I avoided the subject and therefore never heard it. I associated Calvinists with Presybterian or Christian Reformed churches. I never dreamed that Baptist churches had Calvinist roots.

The other reason limited atonement bothered me was because the term was never used in the bible. Of course that was just a smokescreen because the word trinity is not used in the bible either. But eventually I could avoid the issue no further. I read the book of Romans and could not avoid the sorvereignty of God. I ran from it, debated it and eventually embraced it.

J.D. wrote:

I can only add "ditto" to his words. That about sums it up for me.