1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for Gator Fans

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Rosell, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Rosell

Rosell New Member

A friend of mine told me today that there's a rumor circulating around that Steve Spurrier may be back at Florida after Zook leaves at the end of the season. Are there any confirming reports of that or is it just wishful thinking?

Bob Stoops' name is apparently being tossed around as well.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would Bob Stoops want to leave a great situation at Oklahoma? Surely they would match any offer by Florida.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zook has been fired. He really didn't have a chance following Spurrier, but he didn't frankly do that great of a job.

Stoops would leave for the challenge of repeating what he did in Oklahoma. The money would be a wash. If I'm not mistaken Stoops has Florida ties, assistant coach I think...under Spurrier.

4. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope New Member

Well, around here we don't like the Gators anyway, so who cares? :D :D :D :D

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

It's Spurrier's to lose...other than that, maybe Urban Meyer at Utah...the UF president hired him when the president was at Utah. Other names being tossed around are Jeff Tedford and Rick Neuheisel.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think Spurrier would be a fool NOT to head back to the safety net of college after dabbling in the real world and finding "what's different is not the same"!

7. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Spurrier would be the logical choice, but pride probably won't let him accept; but stranger things have happened in college coaching.

8. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

When I saw the title, I thought the original post was going to say:

Why is the University of Florida trying so hard to replace UCF as the worst school in the state?

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Apparantly the glitch could be the combating egos of Spurrier and the new UF President. Plus, rumor is that Spurrier is interested in the impending opening with the Miami Dolphins. Stay tuned.

10. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear Stoops has plainly said, "No", to end any speculation.

Would it be "pride" for Spurrier not to go for the position? Pitino discovered the hard way he wasn't cut out to be a pro coach, and, had the Kentucky job been open, he doubtlessly woulda applied for it. He knew he was following a great coach at Louisville, but he took the job anyway, same as Tubby had done at Ky.

Several great local HS coaches(Bob Lutz at Ironton, OH, for example)have turned down much-higher-paying college jobs because they believed they wouldn't make successful college coaches. Chan Gailey(sic) found out he wasn't meant to be a pro football coach, and I believe Spurrier discovered the same thing...but at least they tried.