1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for KJVOs"like me" can we translate from.....

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by azguitarist, Mar 2, 2005.

1. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Hello, can we translate from the Bible in English and get a equal Bible in another language? If no then why not?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Moving this to the Versions Forum. Excellent question that I would like some of our KJV'ers to address.

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I think we could.
    If one could make a legit English translation from the Vulgate then why not from the English into, say for example, Spanish?
    The Latin came ultimately from Greek, therefore if you can translate from a translation it would work in any other form that originally came from Greek. The KJV is one such example. It comes from the Greek. So does the Vulgate. Therefore why not skip the Vulgate? Just use the KJV.
    Makes sense to me. But of course, "I ain't got me no edjumication, an I ain't smart like sum fellers."! LOL
    In HIS service;
    Jim

4. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

ne one else?

5. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, since no one language will translate 100% into another...If we translate the KJV into, say, Spanish, & then translate that Spanish edition back into English, we'd have two different English translations, even if we kept the second English translation in Elizabethan English.

6. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Its very interesting that you would say Spanish due in part to the fact that the Mc-vey translation translates back in to English after being translated from English. Roby do you know Spanish?

7. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

pink
    rosa
    pink
    rosa
    pink
    rosa
    pink.......

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Good one AZ!

casa
    house
    casa
    house
    uno
    one
    uno
    one
    In HIS service;
    Jim

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    God inspired the Greek/Hebrew. From those, His exact words, we can translate them into the equivalent word (or close) in any receptor language in the world.

And that translation then becomes "inspired" (in a derived sense, since the words from which they were translated were inspired.

Now, can we take those "derived inspired" words and then translate them into the equivalent word (or close) in another language?

Yep.

Would it be derived inspired?

Nope.

It loses so much in accuracy and nuance, it becomes the writing of man. Even from a great translation (say, Jerome's Latin) the English would be weak in comparison to any translation directly from the Greek.

It would be a nice religious book, but no more inspired than the paraphrases, amplified, commentaries, etc.

10. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Ghost
    fantasma
    Ghost
    fantasma
    Ghost
    fantasma

11. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I believe the problem is -people fail to see is TRANSLATING is exact-- Interpreting is not.

12. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

I have the Bible in English that was Translated...not interpreted... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AZ - you are right IF you are going from English to English!

But going from Greek to English you have hundreds of translational vagueries, since English is NOT as detailed a language as Greek.

THEN you take the English and go to Latin you are in deep do-do. For Latin (like Greek) is much more detailed.

Nothing to do with "interpreting". Everything to do with formal equivalence translating.

14. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

Also, Dr. Bob Please , I would like to see one Bible in another language that was TRANSLATED from
    the KJV that has become """a nice religious book, but no more inspired than the paraphrases, amplified, commentaries, etc."""""

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you don't. Sorry. You've been deceived. Even the most FORMAL EQUIVALENT translation (like the AV1611) has INTERPRETATION replacing translation in many places.

The Anglican influence in choices of words or phrases has been admitted by even the staunchest "only".

I even call it the "Anglican Version" (AV)! ;)

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at any one that has, sadly, been translated from the KJV and you will find an inaccurate man-made book - a far cry from a Bible.

17. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

What is an example? In a language you understand?
    Yet since YOU believe that we dont have the inerrant WORD PERFECT Word of God in English this makes the idea of translation from the KJV bogus.Therefore this argument if futile.

18. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    to answer the question, sure. ;) If there was a task to translate the bible into say, Mandarin, and the translaters are english speakers, it only makes sense to translate from the KJV instead of spending years trying to learn the greek and hebrew.
    There are rules to follow in the translation process so that the most faithful translation of the Bible is produced.
    It's been done.

19. azguitarist

azguitarist New Member

BTW I have one and it translates back into English
    word for word. Therefore since the ""nice religious book, but no more inspired than the paraphrases, amplified, commentaries, etc.""""" that i have reads the same as the KJV then the KJV now equals"""a nice religious book, but no more inspired than the paraphrases, amplified, commentaries, etc."""""

20. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you know, the chinese Bible is the word of God to the Chinese people, who would die for the truth it contains. It is NOT just a religious book.