1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question For Teachers

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Martin, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a question for teachers who may visit this board. The question is about powerpoint. If you use powerpoint presentations in your classes, for notes (etc), how do you organize them?

Why do I ask?

I started out using them to put outlines up which students could follow. However what I found was that students copied the outlines and did not listen to me lecture. So, I started using more graphics and only putting up one outline point at a time. This way the students have to listen to me lecture and, I believe, they get better notes. After all a outline is not as detailed as the lecture. Anyway I am trying to find out a better way to use powerpoint. Unless I come up with something different I will just do what I have been doing. I thought about building some maps with moving graphics (arrows, etc).

Any thoughts?

O, and yes, I am just looking for ideas to steal...Hey at least I admit it. :laugh: .

#1 Martin, Jun 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to use an overhead and one point at a time is the only way to go. With powerpoint I use a funny pic with the point. Any variation is good to keep the student looking, but meter the information and they will follow - if they are awake :thumbs:

I've been doing a basic computer class with low income people and they seem quite intent on the slides - some don't speak English very well so the pics probably help them understand the words they don't :thumbs:

Another idea I use is to list the points one at a time, but when adding one I show the last one as well. This works well if you have a series of points or items.

Maps would be great I would think!

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I do is to present the major headings of the lecture and provide information that enhances what they already know. I also provide them with information that I will cover but give them so they do not have to copy it. At the begining I have a short review of what was covered in the previous week which allows them to ask questions. Often I give them a quiz that covers the information from the previous week. That way they have to study what I covered in the previous week.

It is helpful to provide some kind of in class activity that supports what you just covered.

I try to do a minimal amount of lecturing because it is only learning by listening. If you give them something to study in small groups it will force them to digest the material and respond to it. The point is not to cover material but that the material you cover will be absorbed. I would much rather teach them how to learn than just give it to them. You can introduce them to tools for undertsanding the Bible rather than just spoon feed them. For example at the beginning on a letter you can explain the parts of a letter written in the day. There is who the letter is from, who it is to, a greeting, a prayer, the body and conclusion (which includes a greetings, doxology, and benediction). That way you can teach them to interpret the parts of a letter in its context. So the next time they read a letter they wil have the tools to betetr understanding.

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I think powerpoint is only a tool to reach others with information. I think we should use a variety of tools all the time and keep them rotating. Use tactile things to teach. Use visual things to teach. Use auditory things to teach. Use them all. Use a couple.

5. CHRISTian PS Watch

CHRISTian PS Watch New Member