1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question for the Apple geniuses

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by James_Newman, Jun 2, 2006.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I managed to fall into the possession of an old G3 Powermac running OS 9.2sumthin and thats great and all, but I don't have a lot of use for it. I wanted to try to put linux on it because I can always use a box for testing, but I haven't been able to get it to boot to the Gentoo PPC CD that I burned. I really can't figure out what to do with it. Can any one help?

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something to try till someone smart tells you what to do. Shut it off with cd in drive. hold down the options button, shift, control and the one by options, then delete and on button. That is how to boot to cd for installing, don't know if that will work for you or not. I kept holding all down but the on button till I got something on the screen.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

To boot from a CD, hold the C key down at startup. I have never put linux on a Mac so taht is as for as I can help you. FWIW, your machine will run OS X

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Where can I download OS X? Hahahhahaaaa. But seriously, I don't think I could invest in an operating system for a 350mhz computer.

5. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Oh, one other thing to add is that it can be quite upgraded as well...the processor can be taken up to a 1 gig g4 but at the price you could just get a Mac Mini.
    Is your Mac blue or beige?

6. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I think I have older versions of OS X if you are interested that I no longer use.
    my younger siblings that still live at hoem use my old iMac G3 400. It has OS X panther on it (10.3)

7. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It is one of the blue and white boxes. If you have a copy of OS x laying around I'd be happy to take it off your hands. I thought about trying it, but I figured it would be unuseably slow.

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I haven't tried Tiger on a machine like that yet but Panther was pretty good.
    One thing though, you need a lot of RAM.
    Wait, Idid install Tiger on my sisters 366 MHZ iBook and it was decent.

9. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

It has 768 MB RAM, 12gig harddrive. And the sleek 350mhz G3.

10. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Running OS X would be no problem on that/ All the way up to tiger would even be ok, but Panther would be faster. Send me a PM if you want me to send a CD

11. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Only if I can get amnesty for my war crimes.

12. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

LOL....I had too many posts up at once! That was from a post in the politics page! :)