1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question for Veterans...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Thank you TC. Because I know we've heard time and time again from others on this board that "crazy" folks are responsible for their actions and no one else.

Wonder why that suddenly changed?Sneaky

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Veterans, thanks for your replies.

I was wondering about something Palin said.

"My son like so many others, they come back a bit different, they come back hardened, they come back wondering if there is that respect for what it is that their fellow soldiers and airmen and every other member of the military so sacrificially have given to this country", Palin said. "And that starts from the top."

"It’s a shame that our military personnel even have to wonder, if they have to question, if they’re respected anymore. "

This loss of respect that she speaks of--I can understand the Vietnam War veterans wondering about that, but do veterans of either Gulf War or the Afghan War really feel that the American citizens don't respect them?

And supposing they feel this way--is that a factor in PTSD?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they return suffering from anxiety and paranoia yes

4. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that comment is exactly what everybody knows it is. Of all the contributing factors to PTSD, I can't think of a single Soldier that was on a flight home saying, "gee, I wonder if I'm respected?" Most were worried about interacting with their wives, hoping their kids remembered them, wondered what the future had in store. Hours later they are being let off the airline to a pretty patriotic homecoming with members of their family and local community showing up to welcome them home. This isn't Vietnam, there aren't legions of hippies spitting on people as they get home. They will most likely be drowned in "thank you for your service" whenever someone finds out they served. It's a reach for Palin and I think she needs to be there for her family right now instead of using her sons situation as a springboard for partisan potshots.

#24 Use of Time, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I do not think that returning service members feel disrespected by our citizens. In fact, I believe it exactly the opposite.

I know that there are issues with the VA, I've struggled with some of these myself. I know that they are not the most user friendly organization. And if Palin chose to address her son's situation as something that may have been prevented had he received the help that he had been seeking, then this would be a different conversation (although it still would not excuse his behavior). But she chose to use both the struggles of many (and I'll grant, probably her son as well) as an excuse and the servicemen and women who have served as political pawns. I find her Vietnam era rationale of her son "Rambo'ing out" a bit disrespectful (I would be surprised if I'm alone here). She did not address problems with the VA, or provide reasonable solutions to fix problems she believes important. Instead she appeared to be trying to spin the problem that her son got drunk and beat his girlfriend to her political gain....probably because that was what she was doing.

#25 JonC, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    PTSD is a lame excuse for a drunk beating one's girlfriend.

• Like Like x 2
  7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe troops coming home today have any reason to feel disrespected by other citizens. I believe they are , for the most part, unbelievably appreciated and and welcomed. I can, though, see how some might feel betrayed ,or disrespected, by the civilian leadership of the country who have so badly prosecuted the war by playing politics with it.

As for Vietnam, I never felt disrespected as an individual, although I am well aware some may have been. I just put my head down and reintegrated. It was extremely rare for me to even mention my service, and then only when pushed. A lot of us were in virtual hiding until the Gulf War, when we first saw what we had missed and realized how shabbily we had been treated.

If America never betrays and/or shuns their returning troops again, I will consider the price we paid as Vietnam vets worth it.

In the end, I have the respect and appreciation of my Marine brothers I served with. And that's all that really matters. Give me the same men to have my back, and I'd do it again. Gladly.

• Like Like x 3