1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on casting out demons

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by annsni, Jan 1, 2007.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

On another board I'm on, there is discussion about casting out demons (and lots of other stuff), but there's one woman who was saying that she met a child who was demon posessed but she didn't want to cast out the demon because she felt she did not have authority over the child. She said that the parents were sure that he had ADHD and were very 'flippant' about it and she didn't want to cast out the demon only to have an 'empty house' and have them come back with '7 friends'. If the parents had been agreeable that there was a demon, they could have prayed for the Holy Spirit to fill and protect the child or to have led the child to Christ so that the demons couldn't come back - but that she didn't have the authority to do that.

Anyone ever NOT cast out a demon (or heard of such a thing) because then that's setting the person up for MORE demon posession? So, she left a demon in a child - although she did silence it because the child was very out of control and the child just curled up in a fetal position and kept quietly growling at her.

2. Oasis

Oasis New Member

Hi annsni:wavey:

I've never dealt with anything like that myself. Has God given us the power to cast out demons?
    "O unbelieving and perverse generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy here to me." Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed from that moment. Then the disciiples came to Jesus in private and asked, "Why couldn't we drive it out?" He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to ther' and it will move." Nothing will be impossible for you."-Matthew 17:17-20 NIV
    I believe in God's power to cast out demons and that through strong faith in that power and perseverence in prayer it can be accomplished. The parents, if believers, should be recruited in that effort. I don't believe that God gives us the power to personally point our fingers at the demon posessed and say, "I'm casting you out." That is an ego trip that satan has convinced many of. Just look at many of the televangilists today. Calling on God to do it through prayer is the answer, imho. The more involved in that prayer, the stronger the faith, the more mountains moved.

How did the child become posessed?
    -What are the parents involved in that could have exposed them and the child to this?
    -Do they have something in the house that could have attracted this demon? A particular TV show? A game? Certain books?
    -Who is the child around, and what is he/she involved in that might expose them to this?
    I'd ask the child and parents lots of questions.

Take care

#2 Oasis, Jan 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2007
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I DO think that we can cast out demons in Jesus' name. Apparently even those who don't do it in Jesus' name can do it - and unbelievers can do it in Jesus' name.

Matthew 7:22 "On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?'"

Matthew 10:7-8 "And proclaim as you go, saying, 'The kingdom of heaven is at hand.' 8Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons"

Mark 3:14-15 "And he appointed twelve (whom he also named apostles) so that they might be with him and he might send them out to preach 15and have authority to cast out demons."

Mark 9:38 "John said to him, "Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.""

Mark 16:17 - "And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; "

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I daresay that the boy merely is afflicted with ADHD and the fact that his parents are flippant about it means they allow his diagnosis to excuse his behavior and that is why the have a "demon" child.

Now, there is scriptural basis for driving out a demon and having it return with 7 of it's friends(Matt 12:43-45). But the context is ridding oneself of a demon but not filling oneself with the Holy Spirit. therefore the "house" is left empty and just waiting for the demon to return(with friends!). It's a parable of repenting of evil (sin) but failing to complete the process by turning to God. Christ says that because there is nothing to replace the evil but emptyness that the evil will return and more with it.

I'm sure that is clear as a bell.

I'm not sure how this would apply to a child actually posessed by a demon. When Paul (?) cast the demon from the slave child that was following him prophecying, he left her to her owners (now displeased because she could no longer foretell the future). Those owners certainly weren't going to raise her to Christ, but apparently Paul wasn't concerned about the return of the demon. Nor are we given any hint that the demon returned in the future.

I think the lady exorcist in this case not only can't see the difference between a brat and a possession but also has miss applied the scripture in this case.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks! LOL - Well, the woman said that she really felt strongly that this was not just any old misbehavior (she's VERY into gentle parenting and even wrote a book about it - so she sees the 'best' in everyone all the time). She said that she was reading her magazine and just quietly rebuked the demon (the child probably could not have heard it) and that's when the child immediately curled up into a fetal position and just glared and growled at her until she left the room - then she could hear the boy get crazy again. I don't know but it certainly sounds like it could have been a demon rather than a demon child. LOL!

6. Predestined

Predestined Member

Sorry......truly can be of no help concerning possible possession......especially on the internet. Growling isn't good.....that I do know. This child's parents need to have him evaluated by medical personnel to rule out any and all physical or mental/emotional causes before making any type of "possession" statements. Possession whether partial or perfect is rare.

I have cleared residences of demonic activity only after a thorough interview of occupants and an actual investigation of said dwellings. What I look for in an investigation is apparitional sightings (if witnessed by occupants), horrible smells (sulfer and/or rotting meat), a heaviness or sense of dread in the air, rappings, etc. I also conduct E.V.P. work during these investigations.

A true demonic haunting case is rare....very rare......just as rare as true possession cases. If such activities, as mentioned above, are absent within their home, they need to have this child medically evaluated as soon as possible......in all actuality, a solution will be found there.......not in the world of exorcism.

Regardless of the source of this child's behavior, Jesus Christ is needed within the hearts of all family members involved - first and foremost.

7. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I have to agree with Predestined.

All medical issues should be clearly defined. I do not agree that growling is always a bad sign. My own neice used to growl any time she thought someone other than her parents was talking to her or about her. Was she possessed? Of course not. She was merely imitating the dog. She outgrew it by the time she went to school. (barely :laugh: )

Curling into a ball and growling may however signal a deeper inability in a child to process facial language which may be a symptom of some deeper medical condition which the parents may not be recognizing. This child needs to be evaluated.