1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on Depression

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Shell, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Shell

Shell New Member

I have a question or so about the view of a christian( independent fundamental baptist).. I have been struggling through a depression and the pastor at my church has been wonderful. I recently had an emotional "crash" causing me to be in a hospital for a few days. They prescribe me some anti-depressants and told me to see a psychatrist/therapist in addition to my pastor- I am not sure what I need to do. I need someone opinion- one that is not close to me.

2. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Based on personal family experience I would highly recommend a psychiatrist/therapist. You should know, however, that not all psychiatrists are not therapists.

3. partialrapture

partialrapture New Member

hello...
    not to sure what you mean by "emotional crash" If you are having inward, emotional problems only and not physical I would only recommend God, His word, and a faithful teacher of His word. I would highly recommend doing away with the antidepressants, a good diet can usually do better than that, all the rest is in your mind which God knows.

Hoping the best for you

4. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Get professional help. Depression is real. Use of meds and which ones are for you and a licensed, trained, qualified psychiatrist to decide on, and monitor carefully and closely for the first 2 months of use. Therapy should be done by a licensed, trained, qualified psychologist. If you can find a Baptist psychiatrist and psychologist great, but don't let their theological stance cause you to make a stupid decision. Continuing use of anti-depressents without close montoring by a professional who is actually trained in prescribing and monitoring these meds is asking for trouble.

If you are just down in the dumps, get with your preacher and pull yourself up by the bootstraps. However, ending up in the hospitial is clearly more than being down in the dumps.

5. here now

here now Member

Hi Shell,
    You need to seek the advice of someone familiar with your particular situation.

Noone here should tell you to take or not to take a medication for something as serious as depression. That REQUIRES a highly qualified person who has spent time with you one on one, to evaluate your condition.

Sincerely,
    here now

6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Good advice!

7. Shell

Shell New Member

Emotional crash-- I mean, I took some pills in order to sleep, took too many- it was somewhat of a suicide attempt. when it was coming out of my system, i just crashed emotionally- hysterical, upset, was not making sense.

I kinda scared of the psychologist bit

8. James Flagg

James Flagg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are admitting to a suicide attempt, and therefore need inpatient treatment. There is nothing to fear from a psychiatrist or any other mental health professional.

Please seek help ASAP.

9. Shell

Shell New Member

I was in the hospital for the mandatory period- I am not suicidal now, just not sure of my emotions and which way to turn- to my church or others.. I know it sounds strange.

10. here now

here now Member

How long have you struggled with depression?

11. here now

here now Member

double post

12. Shell

Shell New Member

Off and on for about 10 or so years. about every 2-3 years it rears its ugly head, only this time I am closer to God than I have been in a while

13. Shell

Shell New Member

Good advice! </font>[/QUOTE]Again, I am scared of the whole professional bit

14. here now

here now Member

Off and on for about 10 or so years. about every 2-3 years it rears its ugly head, only this time I am closer to God than I have been in a while </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not trying to be nosey but do you know what brought it on or could have brought it on?

A yes or no will do. Like I said i'm not trying to pry.

15. Shell

Shell New Member

Off and on for about 10 or so years. about every 2-3 years it rears its ugly head, only this time I am closer to God than I have been in a while </font>[/QUOTE]I'm not trying to be nosey but do you know what brought it on or could have brought it on?

A yes or no will do. Like I said i'm not trying to pry.
    </font>[/QUOTE]not really,

16. here now

here now Member

You stated that it rears its ugly head about every 2-3 years.

How long does it last?

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Depression gets talked about like an illness, but it should be obvious to anyone that stops to think about it that it is a symptom. One may be able to alleviate a symptom with medication, but if the root cause of the symptom is not dealt with, it will never go away.

18. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't sound strange at all.

Everyone struggles with issues and emotions to some degree. Everyone. Have you ever heard the old saying, "On any given Sunday, there's grief on every pew"?

You are just at place in your own life's struggle where you urgently need some professional help.

Many people have been and are where you are right now.

God loves you so much right now...right where you are and He can heal you either supernaturally through His Word and prayer or through His gift of doctors and medical help or He can work both ways.

Seek God, yes. In earnest. But also seek good medical attention and good counseling. God uses many avenues in His healing of His people.

Here's a good verse that has meant a lot to me as of late.

Micah 7:8...."Do not rejoice over me, O my enemy. For when I fall, I will get up. And when I am in the darkness, the LORD is my light."

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

19. Shell

Shell New Member

honestly, I can not remember- right now- its been about 2-3 month, just hitting the heaviest period at this time.

20. here now

here now Member

Shell-
    I don't know why you don't like the professionals. But they are truly there to help you.