1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question on Pastoring and Taxes

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by thegospelgeek, Jan 13, 2009.

1. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

I currently do household chores such as mow the lawn, cut firewood, and handy man stuff around the house. If i take on a pastor position i will no longer have the time to do such as a bi-vocational pastor. My question is, if I have to hire someone to do these chores can I offset this cost against what my small salary would be from the church?

Any experts out there?

#1 thegospelgeek, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
  2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

You may be able to consider those a housing allowance expense. That would free you from Federal Income Tax. But, keep in mind that you housing allowance is taxable as self-employment income around the 15% mark.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From my understanding, things pertaining to work on the household counts for housing expenses but something like splitting firewood wouldn't be included. We count our landscaper (we have over an acre of property and my hubby is allergic to the grass), taxes, all utilities, insurance and home improvements on this bill (actually it's not a bill but a fixed amount we came to when DH went on staff - an estimate of what it costs to run our home). Basically whatever the church would pay on a parsonage is what we consider under our "housing" check.

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I'll have to find me a tax expert. Do any of you do your own taxes or do you have someone do them?

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I do my own. About ten years ago I took the HR Block tax course. Also, I worked for HR Block for two season and even taught the tax course in what would have been my third season. And, while Block didn't really address doing a minister's taxes I learned tax jargon and can read and understand the books that are out there on preparing taxes for an ordained minister.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

Ask the church to hire the fellow. Donate an equivalent amount to the church. Take the deduction.

7. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

This is one of the things I am considering. God has blessed me and I want to hire someone who needs the money. However, I do not believe in give away programs for those who can work. This is the best solution I have thought of and your mentioning it give it some confirmation.

I'm still listening for others.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You could deduct everything but cutting the firewood. That might not fly with the IRS. Again, this counts towards your expenses towards housing allowance. You do get a housing allowance, right?

If not, they're not deductible. So I need to hear that answer. What Billwald suggested is only feasible if you itemize.

And I'm as close to a tax expert as they come around here on ministry taxes. :) I have been doing my own for almost 20 years. Trained tax preparer and will be an MBA within about a year.

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I do my own. Schedule A.