1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question on wine?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jordan Kurecki, Dec 13, 2013.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

One think on the topic, Jordan, it sounds like you are learning to think for yourself and study the Word of God for what it really says. Having been reared in an IFB environment I applaud you for growing in faith. This is just one of many topics where you are going to learn that the teaching of your youth may have been simplified and may not match the Bible. I know I learned that lesson rather painfully.

Now off the topic, a guy at work was complaining to me the other day because another employee kept inviting him to church and he did not want to go. I know both of these men and the one doing the inviting is a very Independent IFBer and can be a bit pushy with his faith. The other man did not grow up in a Christian home and is saved now and looking for a church home for his family. They are attending regularly now, but not at a Baptist church.

Anyway – I told him, “Well tell [bubba1] (not his real name) you will come visit his church on one condition. Tell him you won’t go to any of those churches that use fake wine for the communion. Ask him how you can expect them to preach the real Jesus if they serve fake wine?”

Then I sat back and waited for the show to begin. No [bubba2] (also not his real name) did not go through with it, he knew better.

#21 North Carolina Tentmaker, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can we accept that it is indeed fermented wine when the bible also says this:
    Hab 2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Easy - notice the drunken part? It's fermented. Just like so many other blessings that God has given us, we have the ability to misuse it badly. Sex is another area that can be good (in the confines of the marriage bed) or bad (outside of a dedicated marriage). It's not that sex is bad - it's the situations in which we use or misuse it.

4. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Most of this is incorrect.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There's a fine line (that gets fuzzy) between sobriety and drunkenness.

Be careful equating the OT priesthood with the NT ordained ministry. The two aren't the same and the implications from equating them are difficult.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a nice snappy answer, but it is hardly justification for misrepresenting scripture. Your description of the first miracle of Jesus from John 2 that claims it is mixed wine, it was made in the water pots, etc. is completely without any scriptural basis.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good example of why I seldom post on these forums anymore.

FACT: Distillation of beverage alcohol did not begin until the Middle Ages, therefore the "strong drink" of the bible could NOT refer to distilled spirits. History tells us it was wine drunk straight without being mixed with water.

FACT: Water treated by filtration and addition of chlorine to kill bacteria, especially amoeba, which causes amoebic dysentery which is often fatal, was not available in bible times.

FACT: Due to prohibitions against drunkenness, Jews, and the early Christians, diluted their wine by 3-1 to 10-1 to avoid drunkenness.

FACT: Those same Jews and Christians used wine to kill the amoeba and other bacteria found in untreated water.

FACT: The water pots were used for washing of the hands and feet. The hands because they were used to direct the natural bodily process of elimination, and the feet because walking barefoot or with open sandals exposed the skin to the products of human and animal elimination. This is not about the ceremonial washing prior to entering the Temple. This is about simple hygiene.

FACT: There were 6 water pots each holding from 20 to 30 GALLONS. That is a total of 120 - 160 GALLONS of wine! That equates to 1,200 pints.

FACT: Jesus (and the bible) condemns drunkenness so Jesus would NOT have encouraged sin, nor would he have broken the Law regarding a prohibition against "strong drink."

Conclusion: Therefore, the wine Jesus made was the commonly used beverage of that time, wine mixed with water at a ratio of from 3-1 to 10-1.

#27 TCassidy, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  8. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh no not this topic again!

9. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me summarize the rest of this thread for you.

It was fermented.

No it wasn't.​

Yes it was.

You don't know what you're talking about.​

Yes I do. YOU don't know what You are talking about.

Jesus didn't drink fermented wine.​

Yes He did.

It will lead to dancing.​

Finally, we agree on something.

Calvin drank fermented wine.​

No he did not.

Women should not wear pants.​

It is Rick Warren's fault.

Rick Warren drinks wine? Do you have a citation for that or are you starting unsubstantiated rumors?​

The Greek word is welchs. Everybody knows welchs is translated grape juice.

:smilewinkgrin:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

So we just take your word for it I suppose. You need to get most of your FACTS straight.

11. North Carolina Tentmaker

Not sure exactly what you are asking here Jordan. Yes it was indeed fermented. Yes it is really bad to get your neighbor drunk so you can "look on their nakedness" (most of the time you find this phrase in scripture we are talking about sexual relations). I am pretty sure that did not happen in Cana. OK, I am completely sure.

12. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now wait a minute. Is it Calvin's fault or Warren's fault? Or was it Thomas Welch's fault? Whose fault is it, anyway? :D :D :p :thumbs:

13. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I said in my previous post - YES! I didn't actually say yes in my previous post but I'm sure somebody will put words in my mouth. People that consume alcohol will do that. They also kick puppies.

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, this is a very good example of why I often get frustrated with my fellow Baptists. The internet document where you are getting your “facts” is not factual.

I don’t know anywhere where “history tells us” any such thing. “Strong drink” in the Bible was likely a category of alcoholic beverages made from grains, such as beers and other concoctions that were very common in the ancient world.

The ancients DID often dilute their wine, but not necessarily all the time.

That sounds good EXCEPT the scripture specifically mentions that the water pots we are discussing were ceremonial washings (this is stated plainly in John 2:6). Did you even go back to review the passage?

As I pointed out before, I do not think the plain meaning of the Greek lends itself to teaching that the water in the water pots was changed to wine. Instead, the wine came from the well (or was transformed in the bucket as it was being drawn).

Providing wine is different from “encouraging sin.” Moreover, there is not prohibition against “strong drink” in the scriptures except for kings and priests at times where they are conducting their duties. Deuteronomy 14:26 specifically mentions buying “strong drink” as enjoying it as an act of worship.

Actually, the master of the feast remarked that the wine was uncommon (the best), so I think your assumption is very weak in that regard. It was definitely not common in nature. And since most of your “facts” are wrong, your conclusion is not only speculative, but also very likely wrong. Moreover, you have yet to provide positive evidence for your position.