1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Question posed to me on blocking

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Herald, Sep 10, 2013.

1. thisnumbersdisconnected

Again, I can't imagine how you and your "friend" purport to know this to be true. As to the response you gave me on another post, you said people here "brag about" putting someone on "Ignore," which is what this board calls it. I have seen vague references to that, but they are extremely few and far between, and frankly, not occurring often enough that I'm willing to accept you've seen one. So I'm calling a spade a spade here. I have to wonder what this is really all about in the first place?

You guys are really tempting him, aren'cha? :laugh:

#81 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Herald

Herald New Member

If you have a problem with what I wrote, so be it. I have nothing to defend. I am not trying to convince anybody of anything. My OP was inspired by the comments of a friend.

3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why would you even doubt this thread is simply as stated?

4. Herald

Herald New Member

Icon, I appreciate this but it is unnecessary. Have you noticed that the posters who have questioned the validity of OP have made no meaningful contribution to the discussion? When people react that way it is often due to the fact that their conscience is bothering them over their own behavior.

thisnumbersdisconnected asked this mocking question:

Even though his question was not asked in sincerity, I am more than happy to answer it.

My hope was that there would be constructive discussion as to the reason why professed Christians on this board would block each other. And I am not just asking this question of others; I have asked it of myself. Why have I acted in this way? There are posters, even in this thread, who I have blocked; but I have nothing against them personally. I am sure they are fine persons; it is just that we cannot seem to get along on this board. I surmise there are a few posters who have blocked me. The pendulum swings both ways. All my friend did was cause me to think about my motivations and what that says about me as a Christian.

The purpose of the thread was, as I previously stated, to have constructive discussion as to the reason why professed Christians on this board wold block each other. Why? Is such behavior a commentary on Christians as a whole? Do we treat each other like this in the local church? Should we treat each other differently?

Although my friend is unable to see it, I can see the disjointed nature of a thread when I have one or two people blocked and other people are responding to them. I cannot read those posts unless I click on "view post" or the person's post is quoted by someone else. While I still think it is necessary to block certain people, there is something unsettling about it. I am not sure what it is. Maybe it is Jesus' admonition that we love one another or His prayer that we all be one. Maybe I am more bothered by the ideal as opposed to reality.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have 19 posters on my Ignore List. There are several reasons for this.

1. After interacting with these people over the years I know that their style of posting is rude and/or insulting and/or arrogant and/or condescending. As to insults, I've got a three strike policy when it comes to personal insults. I'm not going to allow them the pleasure of knowing I'm reading their posts. This is the reason I will sometimes announce "You're going into my killfile." Not bragging, simply letting them know that any personal attacks on me are futile.

2. Some people are what I call monomaniacal in their subject matter. They post on one topic and one topic only, and after several years of their schtick there is nothing new to be learned by reading their posts.

3. Along these same lines, some people post the same questions over and over and over again. Practically verbatim. These questions have been answered umpteen times but some people keep asking them, apparently because they don't like the answers given. One of these persons has changed screen names three times. Still, I snagged him and put him in my killfile.

4. Some are so far around the bend as to reality that any humorous value in reading their posts have given way to sympathy along with no desire to hear any more about how the government is sending agents into my house at night to collect my skin dust and pet hairs.

5. Some posters have lousy reading comprehension skills and read what they want to see and not what is written.

6. Some people are sexist, or racist, or chauvinists, or misogynists, or homophobes, IN MY OPINION. Self explanatory as to why I would put them on Ignore.

7. Some posters will attribute theological positions to me that I do not ascribe to, have never stated on this board, and have in fact refuted. After a while it gets tiresome to endure people incorrectly telling you what your theology is and then watch as they supposedly destroy your position with their "counter" arguments. Throw in some condescension, an insult or two and you've got an Ignore List Champion.

Putting someone on your Ignore List simply means that their personality, tactics, and demeanor clashes with yours. We DO treat people like this in the church. Surely there are people in your church that you feel uncomfortable around, or resist striking up conversations with. I don't see anything inherently wrong with this.

BINGO! In Heaven we won't have Ignore Lists. That's the ideal. On earth, the reality is that some people are @sses.

#85 InTheLight, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2013
  6. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would also like to add that there are many posters on BB that are wonderful posters. Considerate, knowledgeable, wise, and graceful people. These are the people that make BB a great place to come to every day. I wish there was a feature on BB with the inverse function of the Ignore List, perhaps a "Favorite Poster List" where you could click on it and have a list of these people's posts to read. This can be done using the Advance Search function but it gets a bit unwieldy.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All one need do is point out some of these very contentious threads (sometimes called food fights) that occur when HOT BUTTONS are pushed...ie Calvinist Vs Non-Calvinist Topics. Suddenly people who profess to be loving & caring Christians act well --NOT SO MUCH. Along with it goes very rude & demeaning commentary....not limited to the debate but also including personal attacks. the "IGNORE" feature serves to tap down the ....well you know & serves to also return sanity to the person who is insulted.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sadly as Admin I can't have folks on "ignore". I have to be able to see who is naughty and who is nice (it is only 103 days until Christmas and I'm getting lumps of coal ready).

And have to admit when a poster, who has for months been "crossing the line" and getting infractions for truly unchristian conduct and we who monitor and try to control him have to act, I feel no joy or sorrow at banning or suspending - just relief.

There are some who simply cannot play nice. If blocking xyz (or for some of you, it is probably ME that is blocked) helps you be Christ-like and civil on the BB, then go and sin no more . .

(Sadly, only about 1/2 of the BB posters will see this because they have blocked me already)

9. Herald

Herald New Member

Bob, FYI. You cannot block an admin or moderator.

10. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mods and admins cannot be put on ignore it is the default VBulletin setting.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? You're one of the good guys.

Bob, can admins see who is on each member's Ignore List?

[YES! Reached tenth page of thread.]

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Yippeee! Let's lock it up!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That was not the intent...but rather to notify you that since your the author of this op, you can request its being shut down and the administers sometimes honor that request....OKAY!

14. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I see no reason to block anyone or to censor anyone.Some may want to block someone for awhile to calm down i guess if they got themselves over-heated.

Yes...some do not really like the interaction .they want to jump into the debate ring...throw a few punches ...but when any return post comes their way, they whine or make it personal.

If someone gets into a habit of posting using unwholesome speech, or violating the 9th commandment...it could be that their profession of faith is wanting...at least according to scripture-

26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

We have all used unwholesome speech in our lives.A saved person is no longer bound to do so and as the image of God is being restored in us, we should make great progess in no longer speaking and thinking as we used to do....

20 But ye have not so learned Christ;

21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;

24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

27 Neither give place to the devil.

28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.

29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice:

32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

failuire to do this will show up in the posts....as it reflects the inner thoughts and intents of the heart.

15. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Herald,

I have to say you're acting exactly as those you accuse of acting in the OP in other threads of yours. The example is above.

Secondly there is nothing unScriptural about avoiding other believers. Those pointing fingers at others for doing so are no better spiritually than those who opt to ignore others.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen :applause: