1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

question re. spiritual death

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by KayDee, Jan 8, 2004.

1. KayDee

KayDee New Member

On the day that Adam ate of the fruit, he died. Genesis 2:16-17. Obviously this wasn’t a physical death (although, he did start to die on that day). So, we must believe he died spiritually. He and Eve covered themselves with garments of their own making. But God made them garments of animal skins which many believe indicates their salvation. If this is so, and I believe it is, how do we inherit spiritual death from Adam when God made him spiritually alive? I believe that we do die spiritually because of the many verses that indicate it but I don’t understand why we inherit spiritual death from Adam when God had regenerated him. Can anyone help me understand?

In His Grace
    KayDee

2. John Owen

John Owen New Member

Hi KayDee, you said "But God made them garments of animal skins which many believe indicates their salvation."

This leads to your question, "how do we inherit spiritual death from Adam when God made him spiritually alive?"

The problem is, I think, the jump you have made moves far beyond the text of Scripture itself, for nowhere does the Bible tell us specifically that the skins do in fact mean salvation for Adam and Eve. What we do have, is explicit Scripture telling us that Adam's sin is passed down to subsequent generations:

(Rom 5:12-19 NNAS) Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned-- {13} for until the Law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. {14} Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. {15} But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many. {16} The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification. {17} For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ. {18} So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men. {19} For as through the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, even so through the obedience of the One the many will be made righteous."

3. KayDee

KayDee New Member

I agree the Word does not say specifically they were saved and it says we have inherited Adam’s sin and the consequences of it. However, what do you think the implication would be of God replacing their self made garments with the ones He made...other than showing us only His grace and not man's efforts is of any value?

Welcome to the board!! [​IMG]

In His Grace
    KayDee

4. John Owen

John Owen New Member

thank you for the warm welcome KayDee!!

I would be interested in your telling me what you think the passage in Romans is teaching, if not that death spread to all men due to Adam's federal headship... specifically:

"Nevertheless death reigned from Adam until Moses, even over those who had not sinned in the likeness of the offense of Adam"

and

"for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation"

I mean, you seem to agree with this (the imputation of Adam's sin to all of mankind) when you say "it says we have inherited Adam’s sin and the consequences of it."
    If you agree, then I do not see what relavence there could be to any typological meanings we could speculate about concerning God's giving Adam and Eve the skins of animals to cover themselves, instead of plants, and the discussion specifically related to the question of original sin.

I agree that we can speculate concerning these animal skins; for instance, this is the first time death is mentioned as happening. We can speculate that these deaths must have happened as a result of God's killing/sacrificing them to cover their nakedness\sin, though of course, the animals might have died on their own through predation or simply natural causes. Thus perhaps telling us, if we grant that God was directly responsible for the animals death, that a bloody sacrifice is necessary to atone for sins. It could also point ahead to the idea that while Adam and Eve might need to sacrifice, eventually, God Himself will provide the sacrificial victim.

Blessings!

5. KayDee

KayDee New Member

John

Sorry if I am confusing you - I have a way of doing that to people.

I definitely believe we inherit sin through the one man Adam - Scripture is very clear. It's just when I was doing a study on total depravity it crossed my mind if Adam was saved, we should inherit his spritiually alive nature not his degenerate or spiritually dead one. It made me wonder if Adam really was saved, represented by the skins (as I have always been taught).

In His Grace
    KayDee

6. John Owen

John Owen New Member

thats a good point KayDee... what reason do we have to make us think that without a doubt, Adam was saved?

7. Aki

Aki Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi KayDee! Hi John Owen!

it's about some months since i last posted in this section.

anyways, true, we inherited that sin of Adam. therefore, this got us spritually dead since birth, regardless of our decision.

the issue of salvation, however, is inherited on the second Adam - Jesus Christ. indeed, it is what the "garment" represented. it is from Him that we are saved.