1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question regarding Calvinistic view of limited atonement

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Feb 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Skan,

What you miss is that man must keep the law perfectly....they cannot....That is why God came to earth as the last Adam....to keep the law for us.

Unbelief gets mentioned because anyone who gets saved...MUST BELIEVE...that Jesus kept the law perfectly for us.

Those who believe not are condemned already jn 3...because they as law breakers ,condemned in Adam, and condemned additonally by their own law braking have no hope outside of Jesus.

Unsaved men are still under a covenant of works...thus condemned.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not what Hodge is saying. Neither is it what Calvin is saying.

"He was wounded for our transgressions . . ." does not apply to the unbeliever, because he has no union with Christ.

To take the lifeboat example that you lifted from Hodge, those who do not enter the lifeboat do not enter because of unbelief, but it's the water that kills them.

Those who have no union with Christ, do not have one because of unbelief, but it's their transgressions of the law that kill them.

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you are using the word "trangression," am I correct in taking it that you are indicating that unbelievers are gulity of transgressing the Law as given to Israel in the Old Testament (as opposed to those from Adam to Moses)?

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

5. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

You must be 100% perfect(yes I know that's redundant...:)) to go to heaven. No one is perfect. Christ came to earth and lived a perfect life. He is our righteousness! Those that are in Christ(believers) will be presented as righteousness because they are in Christ. Those that are not in Christ(unbelievers) will be guilty. They will be guilty of breaking God's law and thus must be punished. Those in Christ receive no condemnation because Christ paid for it on the cross. He is our substitute.

Christ's payment on the cross is of infinite value. If God chose to save everyone, Christ's payment would be sufficient. But no one here believes that God has chosen to save everyone. So Christ's death is sufficient, but only efficient to those in Christ. Those left in Adam will suffer eternal just punishment for their transgression of the law.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi JohC

Hi JohC, I read your opening post, but not the intervening posts. Just wanted to inject another word in the mix, reconciliation.

Christ's finished work on the cross provides reconciliation to the whole world, or the propitiation or means of salvation. He laid down His life for all. But in order to receive the benefits of that "general reconciliation" you have to individually receive the reconciliation.

Calvinism takes these two separate spiritual translations, and puts up an ungodly conglomeration, utterly unbiblical.

Why would ambassadors of Christ beg the lost "to be reconciled" to God if it was a done deal. Calvinists solve these kinds of issues by saying we are just doing what we are commanded to do, without any need for the actions to fit the theology. Fiddlesticks.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The law as described in Romans 1 and 2.

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

our very natures as sinners already condemned us before God, even before we herad and rejected jesus for first time!

I am assuming here an unsaved person!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, that was why I asked for clarification.

I thought that you may have been implying that it was for transgressing the Law that the unbelievers perished and I would have suggested reading the first two chapters of Romans.

#110 JonC, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  11. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you mean by Unbelief? Is it that you reject the Being of God (ie the Trinity) & therefore your an atheist or is it that you continue to sin & your a carnal type of Christian who just never takes it seriously (ie they profess belief but you dont see any fruit). This ways deeply on me so I would appreciate a thought out answer. Thanks.

12. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Think that the sinners are judged based upon first Adams transgression of the Word of the Lord, before the law was even given, and that acrt caused us to all be seperated from God at birth!

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ahhh then you believe in original sin & from that flows all human sins however thats not my question brother. Again please define "Unbelief"

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe…” Romans 3:22 (NASB)

The Greek word pisteu,w (pisteuô) is translated to believe, or entrust. It’s translated 118 times in the NASB for believe, but also for entrust, and has faith. It means to have a mental persuasion; to be of opinion; to commit to the charge or power of; to be entrusted with.

The Greek word pi,stij (pistis) is translated faith. It’s translated 238 times in the NASB as faith, but also faithfulness, proof. It means faith; belief; firm persuasion.

James 2 defines this faith as one that produces fruit of the Spirit. For “the demons also believe, and shudder.”

So the faith that is required unto salvation is a faith that is not only simple belief as one logically holds to an idea, but also one that produces fruit.

I would assume unbelief to mean the opposite.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious, since we’re talking about atonement – well, on and off when we’re not talking about something else that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread J :

If the elect are seen as the object of the atoning sacrifice, just as Israel was seen as God’s elect in the Old Testament, why the shift from corporate to individual atonement in terms of the actual sacrifice?

Annually, the high priest made a sacrifice for the atonement of Israel, but it was by faith the individual Jew was considered righteous (not all Jews, although among the “elect nation,” were actually deemed righteous). But the atonement for the sins of the “world” is taken to mean the “elect all over the world.” Why wouldn’t it be an atonement not only our sins but also the sins of the whole world (literally), but in atonement only by faith to the elect?

16. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

But is there anything except their unbelief preventing them from getting in the life boat, like the size of the raft? THAT is the issue here!

Is the life boat big enough for everyone invited to fit, or was it made just big enough for the ones irresistibly drawn to ride? Was the blood split on the cross just enough to cover the debt for the sins committed by the elect ones, or was the satisfaction of justice made for the elect actually sufficient to cover everyone? If by some cosmic miracle someone who wasn't elected came to genuine faith in Christ tomorrow would Christ's atonement be sufficient, or would he need to die again for their sins?

17. Skandelon

18. Skandelon

Aaron, Luke and all,

C. Hodge is clearly saying that it is a FALSE ASSUMPTION to think that Calvinists have historically taught that the satisfaction of Christ on the cross was comparable to the payment of a debt for individuals, as if he suffered just so much for so many. Some, like Aaron, seem to think He paid so much for one soul, and so much for another, and any payment made available to a soul that ends up lost in hell would be wasted...or his blood would be split needlessly.

If this is the correct view of the atonement then, according to Hodge, the gospel can only be rightly offered to those whose debts he has actually cancelled. Hodge adamantly reject this view and argues, "That this doctrine was never held by any historical church and the ascription of it to Augustinians can only be accounted for on the ground of ignorance."

19. Skandelon

Do me a favor and compare/contrast the view of Owen and Hodge regarding the Atonement. Do you not acknowledge the difference?

Both are Calvinists, but certainly you realize there is no small distinction on this matter?

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

Skandelon,

I get the impression that some will simply not accept the legitimacy of an argument unless it corresponds with what they consider to be the correct conclusion.

Of course, one other problem is the various opinions of exactly how far back you go to find historic Calvinistic belief. The formation of theological doctrine is a process, and there are variants within Calvinism.

In other words, I don’t think that you’ll get anywhere with this question. One thing I have taken out of this forum is the conviction that some cannot seem to help but lean on their own understanding. That is exactly what I see in this thread – it is not even a debate because no one accepts that the other has a legitimate argument.

#120 JonC, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.