1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question To KJV Only Advocates

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Martin, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

Posted by LarryN
    I would keep searching and praying until God gave me his True Word. Again it's not a pride issue for me it's an issue of spiritual and mental correctness. Having a Bible is not important to me, having "God's Word" is.

Your servant
    Fishnbread

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know the NKJV, NIV, NRSV, RSV, and NASV, have broken this rule and if I research older translations of the Bible and find that the KJV has truly broken that rule also I will gladly eschew it! and you can hold me to my words, because I don't have a big lump of pride stuck in my throat. It's better to have the right point of view than to have people "think" you have it.

Your servant
    Fishnbread
    </font>[/QUOTE]Jude 25: "To the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen" (NIV).

"To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and for ever. Amen" (KJV).

The NIV leaves out "wise", while the KJV omits,"through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages". Which is worse?

John 14:14 "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it" (NIV).

"If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it" (KJV).

Which is correct?

Fish, we can go through every English BV there is, old and new, & find umpteen hundred such differences, some due to the texts translated, some due to translators' choice. However, I believe God has preserved His word just as he said, and that He, who CREATED all languages, is well able to place his word within any of them AS HE CHOOSES, and I don't lose sleep over the fact that this version reads a little differently from that version. You're fighting a losing battle if you're trying to find God's word exactly as He gave it to His writers. W/o the originals, you have no point of reference by which to compare, so I suggest you simply take what God has made available to you & go from there. Yes, I know there are booboos within the KJV, but I use it anyway. I know there are booboos within the NIV, but I use it anyway. I know there are booboos within the NASB(From which I first read about Jesus), the NKJV, the HCSB, the Geneva Bible, the ESV, and many others, but I use many of them anyway. Why? Because I TRUST GOD to make His word available to me AS HE CHOOSES.

3. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

Posted by robycop3
    How do you know it was the KJV that omitted words and not the NIV who added them? Your assersion is that because the KJV contains a differant text than the NIV that makes it faulty but since the KJV was translated before the NIV your assertion should be the other way around. Bibles such as the NKJV are clearly spinoffs of the KJV as they where created after the KJV and contain a nice percentage of the message found in the KJV. The KJV came before the NIV, or NKJV therefor they should be compaired to the KJV and not the KJV compaired to them, or at least the versions in which the KJV claims to be translated from. Sorry to tell you this but your argument is fallable

Your servant
    Fishnbread

4. LarryN

LarryN New Member

I'm finding it difficult to believe that someone who purports to be Baptist, and not Charismatic, can make such a statement.

5. Fishnbread

Fishnbread New Member

Posted by LarryN
    And I respect your opinion. [​IMG]

Your servant
    Fishnbread