1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question women and dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 11, 2005.

1. After being in a few IFBC one of their BIG issues was that women should wear dresses all the time or they were not Godly.

What do most on here believe ?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...it sure makes it hard to take showers!

3. Rachel

Rachel New Member

RFW, that's insane. Can I say that? Well I guess I just did. lol So much for God looking on the heart huh? Legalism is wrong.

4. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not all Baptists are alike. Some are very legalistic, some are quite liberal. I'd like to think my church is middle-of-the-road and abides by scripture and common sense. Our church would have no complaints unless someone's manner of dress was blatantly immodest or obvious cross-dressing.

5. AMEN [​IMG]

I'm so glad we quickly saw the light and left.

6. GodsAmbassador

GodsAmbassador New Member

At my church, the pastor asks that if women are going to sing in the choir, sing a special, or do any type of ministry in the church, that they wear dresses. Well actually, he prefers all women that go to church there wear dresses. What they do elsewhere is between them and the Lord. Just our view on it.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our pastor announced at a GROW meeting this past Monday night that any woman who is going to be on stage for any reason .... realize that being that high up gives the appearance of your dress being about 6 inches shorter than it really is and modesty is a must! For our visitation, we can wear pants but he stressed the short shirts and low pants don't belong in a Christian's closet.

8. Diane I thought you made a mistake when you said " Short Shirts" and thought you meant short skirts, then I realized they way girls dress today... Looks like they are wearing hand me downs that don't fit LOL

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

RightFromWrong, I don't think dresses are the issue but modesty is. I think a lot depends on where the church is as well. In some places, people dress more casually, in others, more formally.

Even though some women in my church wear pants (like nice pantsuits and such), I wear a dress or skirt because I just feel funny wearing pants to a service (but I'm more of a skirts or dress gal anyway). But I think it's okay as long as it's tasteful and modest. No tight pants, obviously.

I think Diane's point about the length of dresses for women getting on the podium is a good one. I've seen women on the podium in shorter dresses or skirts that look okay normally, but the skirts look shorter up there!

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At my church, the song leader (who is a woman) usually wears jeans. Most of the women in the church alternate between jeans/slacks and dresses.

But my church isn't IFB; it's SBC.

11. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

GodsAmbassador, That is how it is in our church. I have no problem with wearing dresses or skirts all the time. When I got saved I had no desire to look like the world. The rest of the women in our church also wear dresses, even when they clean the church or are doing the yard work. I think it is wonderful.

12. Pronto

Pronto New Member

Wear whatever, most of the time pants are more modest then dresses anyhow.

13. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed.

14. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

How you dress says something about you. It can often be misunderstood so don't be so quick to jump to a conclusion. What are you saying to people? I care about what I say to people. God lays down boundaries of modesty and extravagance and it seems to me that it would be a good idea to try and see how close I can come to God's standards than to see how close I can come to the world's standards without technically violating God's. Shoot for the bullseye not the edge of the target.

[​IMG]

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is your archer there saying he thinks he has cute legs?

16. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG]

He might be. (Very snobby voice) I, of couse, never noticed. What are yooouuuuuu doing noticing? [​IMG]

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

He has just girded up his loins like a man. [​IMG]

18. Artimaeus I bet you believe woman MUST wear dresses at all times in order to be Godly, That is what your post implied. You implied you KNEW Gods standard. You go to a IFBC so I already see where you are comming from. Legalism

No one I believe questions whether or not woman should be modest that goes without saying.

19. Soulman

Soulman New Member

Quoted by FBCPastorswife: GodsAmbassador, That is how it is in our church. I have no problem with wearing dresses or skirts all the time. When I got saved I had no desire to look like the world. The rest of the women in our church also wear dresses, even when they clean the church or are doing the yard work. I think it is wonderful.

I belonged to a church like that for 8 years and am also a long time subscriber to the Sword of the Lord.

However I have come to realize that the standard of wearing skirts or dresses 24/7 is unbiblical. It is nothing more than religion getting into the baptist church.

What I mean is that in our society there is a definate difference between mens and womens pants, slacks, etc.

My daughter goes to a private baptist school where loose fitting parachute type pants are acceptable for gym class. A friend of mine was picking up my daughter fropm school and dropping her off at the church for me to pick up. It was saving me a longer drive. Well. The pastor called me into his office and said that he didn't want my daughter showing up at church in pants at any time. I explained that gym was her last class and she was just being dropped off for a few minutes.

He said that if I was going to continue being a leader (adult Sunday school teacher) I would need to get on board with his decision and not fight him on it.

Women are to dress modestly. From the neck to the calf. The whole dress skirt thing is a man made doctrine that has no scriptural basis whatsoever. A person that wears pink loose fitting capri's would be hard pressed to confuse them with mens attire.

I believe in a young lady wearing dresses or skirts for church but that is my preference not my doctrinal stand. I believe a person should wear their best for God wether it be a dress or skirt or nice ladies dress slacks. At home they should dress comfortably and as a lady.

To say someone should wear a dress all the time is preference. Not bible.

20. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Just one of many issues that a lot of people just have to agree to disagree on.