1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question women and dresses

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by RightFromWrong, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

You would loose that bet. If you will reread my post you will notice that I did not even mention dresses.

It is you that inferred my position. Should I infer that you are an ignorant gambler because you misspelled the word women and used the expression "I bet"? OR should I just take it as a common expression we all use and a common typo that we all commit.

I implied no such thing. I merely stated that modesty and non-extravagance are standards of God. The borderline edge between violating these standards and not violating these standards is highly debateable. I was suggesting that we should try to avoid that edge and not merely see how close we can come to it.

You don't see where I am coming from. All you see is your misinformed concept of what someone who believes in the fundamentals of the faith is like.

2. BibleMaMa

BibleMaMa New Member

I agree.
    I also feel it is right to wear dresses/skirts etc.. Long ones that covers the knees. I was always one that hated wearing dresses and skirts, but I feel God has convicted me about this subject and I wear shirts all the time. I have shorter ones for summer (covers the knee) and longer ones for winter. I also have shorts that have a full wrap skirt on the outside for the summer.

In my church, my pastor also believes in this issue. He does not condemn the ones who sray in with pants, jeans, short skirts, sleevless etc.. but when I became a part of the ministry, I am required to wear a skirt.
    I sometimes, not very often, but sometimes will wear capris or jeans out to the store. But I am in a skirt 95% of the time when I go out.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Now here's something I think we can all get on board with... :D

4. Artimaeus you claim to know Gods standards when it comes to dressing ( that is exactly what you said, SEE HOW CLOSE I CAN GET TO GODS STANDARD ) So lets hear what those standards are ?

I know what IFB believe when it comes to this issue and just like Soulman pointed out it is a very big issue to them. They teach if a woman doesn't wear dresses she isn't Godly. Wearing dresses is an abomination. Judging from other post you have made it is obviuos this is the kind of church you go to, am I right or wrong ?

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I always wear dresses to church because of who I am. When I feel a need to "dress up" and "show respect" somewhere, I put up the pants and take out the dress.

I work with some women who are the opposite. When they really want to show respect, dress up, etc., they put away the dress and pull out the nice pants suit.

If being "comfortable" is the going to get a backslider back into church or the unsaved to sit and listen to the message of Christ, let them be comfortable.

Years ago, pants were considered arousing on women. Now they are part of normal life and have lost their status as "sexy" clothing.

6. baptistk

baptistk New Member

[​IMG]

And right now the sexy trend is skirts.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I think the men in the IFBC need to spend more time getting their minds out of the gutters, and should take a cold shower while they're at it.

Scriptuer calls for people to be modest in their attire. Modesty, though, is subjective, and the rules on what constutes modesty change over time. No matter what, ya ain't gonna please everyone everywhere. Even if Baptist women wore burkhas, some baptist somewhere is going to find it immodest.

8. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Now if some men would just realize there is no such thing as a "short-sleeve" dress shirt...especially with a tie!!!! [​IMG]

9. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Soulman,

Why was your Pastor ogling your daughter anyway?

10. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Hey, ain't nothing wrong with that especially in this heat here. Most men here wear short sleeved shirts. My husband can't wear a long sleeve or tie most of the time because he would pass out from heat exhaustion. :cool:

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Not every single IFB teaches that not wearing dresses or skirts is ungodly. I have visited one several times that alot of the women wear pants and have seen some men wear jeans on Sunday morning. Legalism exists in every type of Baptist church too.

12. RockRambler

RockRambler New Member

Short sleeve shirts are casual shirts...I wear them to church often...but only WITHOUT a tie. Putting a tie on a short sleeve shirt is like putting a tux on a basset hound!!! :eek:

13. IAD

IAD New Member

I grew up in an ultra-legalistic church, and girls were required to wear dresses or culottes (sp?). Ever seen a girl in culottes dive for a volleyball? Nothing modest about that at all, let me tell you! I saw way more than I had any business seeing.

It's not the clothes that are important. It's what's inside the clothes that matters.

Oh, wait. I don't think that came out right. ;)

14. Rachel

Rachel New Member

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I recently came back from a vacation in Hawaii, and attended a church there on Sunday. I think it was the first time I ever went to church where most of the women were wearing shorts and sleeveless tops that no one thought it was remotely sexual, immodest, or inappropriate. Here, someone somewhere would say something.

Actually, it was quite refreshing.

16. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Which church did you go to? I've probably attended there (at least on O'ahu)

17. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I was in Kapalua, Maui. The church I attended was Lahaina Baptist Church (www.lahainabaptist.org).

Click here to view a picture of one of their outdoor services (note this is a "more formal" holiday service)

However, in the past, I was a frequenter of Central Union Church on O'ahu. Perhaps you're familiar with it.

18. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Short sleeve shirts are casual shirts...I wear them to church often...but only WITHOUT a tie. Putting a tie on a short sleeve shirt is like putting a tux on a basset hound!!! :eek: [/QUOTE]

Kinda like this RR? [​IMG] :D

http://www.nvdaily.com/Tabs/bridal05/pets.html

19. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I did not claim to KNOW God's standards, I said that God has standards. We can debate the exact nature and practical expression of God's standards with discussion and examples but to imply that God does not have standards or that standards which I have not yet even mentioned are wrong because you KNOW what I mean is not helpful. You can agree or disagree with specifics but God most certainly DOES have standards of dress.

1 Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
    1 Ti 2:10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Ti 2:9-10 - Commentary
    The context requires that we understand these directions as to women, in relation to their deportment in public worship, though the rules will hold good on other occasions also.
    in modest apparel — “in seemly guise” [Ellicott]. The adjective means properly. orderly, decorous, becoming; the noun in secular writings means conduct, bearing. But here “apparel.” Women are apt to love fine dress; and at Ephesus the riches of some (1Ti_6:17) would lead them to dress luxuriously. The Greek in Tit_2:3 is a more general term meaning “deportment.”
    shamefacedness — Trench spells this word according to its true derivation, “shamefastness” (that which is made fast by an honorable shame); as “steadfastness” (compare 1Ti_2:11, 1Ti_2:12).
    sobriety — “self-restraint” [Alford]. Habitual inner self-government [Trench]. I prefer Ellicott’s translation, “sober-mindedness”: the well-balanced state of mind arising from habitual self-restraint.
    with — Greek, “in.”
    braided hair — literally, “plaits,” that is, plaited hair: probably with the “gold and pearls” intertwined (1Pe_3:3). Such gaud is characteristic of the spiritual harlot (Rev_17:4).

No, you don't and I find your arrogance about it to be highly offensive. I have never attended an independent fundamental Baptist church in my life (other than one, for a semester, in school which I soon left for just such arrogance on their part for their legalism) where such legalism was taught or practiced.

I have heard of churches which are legalistic. They do exist but it is hardly universal. There is a wide range of fundamental churches whose teaching run the full spectrum of standards and practices. It is blantantly unfair to lump them all together.

I will have to admit ignorance of this one.

Wrong. I don't have the foggiest idea what the women of my church wore Sunday, I don't even know whether my wife wore pants or a dress. I am color blind and have not sense of style or fashion. Some men wear a shirt and tie, some a dress shirt without a tie, some wear a sport shirt and some may wear a tee shirt. I just don't care. I will notice if someone comes dressed as a clown, or so extravagant as to really stand out. I will notice if a woman or a man is dressed immodestly, I will notice the outrageous but that which is normal will not even raise my eyebrow. Now, were you right or were you wrong?

20. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

The church I pastor is an IFB. We do not have rules requiring anyone to wear dresses... (In fact, it gets so cold here in winter that it would be downright mean to make that a standard)Nor do we teach the heresy of KJVOnlyism.

I resent anyone lumping all into a group and labelling us. Each congregation needs to be led of the Holy Spirit to determine the proper decorum they will adhere to. This covers the whole of their corporate experience. It should not be just the pastor or any one member making these determinations, but the spirit filled congregation.

excuse me... sorry to get so excited...(wiping the sweat off my brow)