1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by steaver, Jan 2, 2005.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How would you convince a Christian by using the scriptures that God cannot ever cease to exist?

God Bless! [​IMG]

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Isaiah 57v15 - "I am the high and lofty One who inhabits eternity..."

??

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

I am wondering why a Christian would doubt God's eternal existance :confused: :rolleyes:

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why should a Christian believe that God is eternal? Can we prove it through scripture? Is this something we assume or is it something we believe because the bible says so and does the bible say so?

God Bless! [​IMG]

6. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

In the begining was the word, and the word was with God and the word was God.

The Word of God Pre-existed creation(including time), The word Is God. God pre-existed creation/including time. That makes him eternal: He exists outside of time.

peace

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

steaver, look to the doctrinal statement of your own denomination!

The C&MA Doctrinal Statement

1. There is one God,(1) who is infinitely perfect,(2) existing eternally in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.(3)
    ([1] Deuteronomy 6:4, [2] Matthew 5:48, [3] Matthew 28:19)

8. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for the inputs,

TP, I am not sure that John 1:1 would prove that God cannot cease to exist at some future point.

Diane, The CM&A's statement will not convince anyone and the scriptures you listed do not prove that God cannot cease to exist.

God Bless! [​IMG]

9. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The verses I 'listed' were from your own denominations statement of faith.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm sorry for the misconception Diane. I attend services at a CM&A church. Great bunch of believers in Christ. I am not part of the denomination and also feel that their statement of faith is weak in a couple of points.

My point was that you didn't give me any scripture which would prove that God cannot cease to exist at some point in time.

God Bless! [​IMG]

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Steaver, if you doubt God is an eternal God, then why would any verses where HE says he's eternal convince you? (Honest question and not trying to be rude.)

How about these verses? (I've got 30 more.)

1 Ti 1:17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory forever and ever. Amen.

Ec 3:11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end.

Isa 57:15 For thus says the High and Lofty One Who inhabits eternity, whose name is Holy: "I dwell in the high and holy place, With him who has a contrite and humble spirit, To revive the spirit of the humble, And to revive the heart of the contrite ones.

ETERNAL or ETERNITY is in all the following verses.

Ac 15:18 "Known to God from eternity are all His works.

De 33:27 The eternal God is your refuge, And underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, And will say, 'Destroy!'

Ec 12:5 Also they are afraid of height, And of terrors in the way; When the almond tree blossoms, The grasshopper is a burden, And desire fails. For man goes to his eternal home, And the mourners go about the streets.

Isa 60:15 "Whereas you have been forsaken and hated, So that no one went through you, I will make you an eternal excellence, A joy of many generations.

Mt 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"

Mt 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or lands, for My name's sake, shall receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.

Mt 25:46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

Mr 3:29 but he who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is subject to eternal condemnation"--

Mr 10:17 Now as He was going out on the road, one came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, "Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?"

Mr 10:30 who shall not receive a hundredfold now in this time--houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions--and in the age to come, eternal life.

Lu 10:25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, "Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

Lu 18:18 Now a certain ruler asked Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

Lu 18:30 who shall not receive many times more in this present time, and in the age to come eternal life."

Joh 3:15 that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.

Joh 4:36 And he who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together.

Joh 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me.

Joh 6:54 Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.

Joh 6:68 But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

Joh 10:28 And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.

Joh 12:25 He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.

Joh 17:2 as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

How can a 'god' who is not eternal give eternal life?

13. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Psalms 90:1 A Prayer of Moses the man of God. Lord, You have been our dwelling place in all generations. 2 Before the mountains were brought forth, Or ever You had formed the earth and the world, Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.

Yep, what Donna said!

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Psalms 10:16 The Lord is King forever and ever; the nations will perish from His land.

Psalms 48:14 ";This God, our God forever and ever- He will lead us eternally.";

Isaiah 26:4 Trust in the Lord forever, because in Yah, the Lord, is an everlasting rock!

Hebrews 1:8 but about the Son: Your throne, O God, is forever and ever, and the scepter of Your kingdom is a scepter of justice.

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

Gen 21: 33And Abraham planted a grove in Beersheba, and called there on the name of the LORD, the everlasting God

Deut.33: 27The eternal God is thy refuge

Psalm 41: 3 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.

2Sam 23: 5Although my house be not so with God; yet he hath made with me an everlasting covenant,

How can a god who is not eternal make an eternal covenant with anyone, even you and your salvation?

Psalm 41: 13 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen

Which menas He has always exsisted and always will exsist.

Psalm 93: 2 Thy throne is established of old: thou art from everlasting.

strongs:

everlasting/ eternal:
    always:—always (-s), ancient (time), any more, continuance, eternal, (for, [n-]) ever (-lasting, -more, of old), lasting, long (time), (of) old (time), perpetual,

The reason you do not find one verse that says 'God has always exsisted, there has never been a time He has not exsisted and He will never cease to exsist' is becasue with all the bible says about Him that He is eteranl, everlasting to everlasting, is becasue it is a given, you can not have eternal life with God in heaven for eternity if He Himself is not eternal. In actuality a 'god' who was not eternal would ahve nothing to offer you you couldn't do for yourself.
    The bible says God's love, mercy, righteousness, forgiveness, kingdom, are everlasting/eternal. Could not be true if He Himself were not eternal.

Here try this link, a list of all the verses in the bible that contain the word everlasting,
    EVERLASTING
    This one is every verse that contains eternal,
    ETERNAL

The doctrine of God being eternal, never a time He did not exsist, and never a time when He will not exsist, is from all the verses in the bible you'll find on those links I posted, it's not from one verse (the wrong way to get doctrines from scripture) but an over all bible wide teaching of who God is.
    Anything less is not worth worship as a god, becasue he wouldn't be.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

A real christian shouldn't need to be convinced. He has the testimony of the indwelling Holy Spirit, the testimony of scripture. The very fact he has eternal life/salvation is proof that God is eternal.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent research Diana and donnA! Thanks for putting in the time on this. I hope others will comment as well.

God Bless!

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Now wait, Steaver... You asked for scripture. How about what you think about all these scriptures? We must have given you 50 or more!

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think they are quite convincing!

God Bless! [​IMG]

20. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Steaver posted:

Which begs the question: If Diane and Donna could do the research, then why couldn't you?

Sheila