1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by steaver, Jan 2, 2005.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hi Sheila,

There are some who frequent these boards who would probably struggle with my original question. I am hoping to hear from many more on this subject. I would like to know how others perceive God's existence in the never ending sense and why.

God Bless!

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Hello Steaver,

I have never had any problem with God being eternal. I will watch the thread with interest.

Sheila

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't see it as something I have to do, prove God's exsistance(I know you didn't ask for this one) or prove He is eternal. He tells us Himself in scripture. All our answers are there if we look. Rarely will you find one verse thats a cure all for your questions. It's the whole thing, taken in context that produces a doctrine.
    But it's good, to not only beleive it becasue it's what you were taught, every chucrh you've evr been in teaches it, your parents believed it, but each of need to know we beleive it becasue the bible says it, and where and how.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think he was testing to see if anyone beleived it becasue the bible teaches it and where and how the bible teaches it.

5. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

I tried to show from the prologue of John that the Word existed before Creation. This would also include the creation of time. The response I received suggested that this did not preclude God ending at some time in the future.

However, If anything existed BEFORE time was created, then there is no future for them. All Creation and time would be on a single point, not on a time line like we see time. There is no past present and future outside of time. Eternity is NOT just 'a long time' rather it is outside of time.

If you look at modern physics: time can slow down, speed up, and even stop. There is possibilities of NO time. Interesting to think about at least.

peace

6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree with you TP!

There is probably not one Christian who has read this thread and thought; "what a silly question", or "that's a no-brainer".

We believe God cannot cease to exist because we believe the scriptures and the scriptures declare God is eternal-everlasting!

So God has eternal life and of course that is why God can give eternal life.

Now those same scriptures declare that God gives eternal life to the convert, the born again. Scripture declares that it is something the convert is given immediatly at conversion, not a future event. It is a passing from death unto life and that life is everlasting, eternal.

But even though all Christians apparently trust that God cannot cease to exist because the scripture says "eternal and everlasting", many do not trust the same words when attached to the Gift God claims He is giving!

Simple question. Have you been given eternal life? If yes, then you cannot ever cease to have eternal life. That is why it is called eternal folks!!

So stop wrestling with those scriptures which seem to shake your understandings and trust God. You trust that He cannot cease to exist ONLY because the scripture calls God eternal. Trust that you cannot cease to have eternal life if not ONLY because the scripture calls the life God gives us eternal!

You can't have it two ways folks. Eternal must be applied equally to all things called such in scripture.

God Bless!

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

AMEN!
    If an eternal/everlasting God gives eternal/everlasting life then we are saved for eternity, or if not then that same God can not be eternal/everlasting becaue the biblical word no longer means the same. If you change the means for eternal life and it can cease, then you must also change the meaning of the same word for the eternal God, who can equally cease to exsist.
    Good post

8. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

You said: There is probably not one Christian who has read this thread and thought; "what a silly question", or "that's a no-brainer".

REsponse: You are probably correct with the readers of this board, but not necessarily in the world of theology. There is a theological understanding called: Process Theology. It was begun by Alfred North Whitehead. In this God is 'within' time. He is just one of the many beings within history and time, he just happens to be the greatest being. This was real popular in the 1980s.

peace

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

In witnessing to people who tend to be atheistic or agnostic, it might be good to start with Genesis 1:1,
    "In the beginning God..."
    The Bible does't set out to prove the existence or eternality of God, it assumes it. We accept it by faith. If one cannot get past the first verse of the Bible, it often is of no use going any further.
    DHK

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point DHK.

God Bless!