1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by BobRyan, Aug 11, 2003.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There have been a number of threads started on the subject of abusive RC priests regarding children - etc.

And now recently threads on the subject of open sin being condoned - promoted by the Episcopal church.

However the Episcopal church discussions are all being shut down - due to "content".

Is it because the scandal regarding the RC Priests uses terminology uses words that start with "p" instead of "s"?

Is it strictly a linguistic problem with those 3 letters that might be found in the middle of a word starting with "h"?

In other words - could the discussion be "had" if we just avoided certain "words"?

In Christ,

Bob

[ August 12, 2003, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: Barnabas ]

2. Barnabas H.

Barnabas H. <b>Oldtimer</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bob, the recent BB ruling, concerning topics with sexual orientation or preference, is that they are prohibited from the open forums. It is up to our Moderators to recognize such articles and close the threads immediately.

If people would like to discuss these matters, they may do so behind closed doors, or in the confines of the password-protected forums (such as the Men's and Women's forums). One of our members voiced this earlier on another thread, what her mother told her long ago: "Certain subjects ought not to be discussed in mixed company." I adhere to this philosophy, and as long as I am an Administrator, I am bound by the rules of this board to enforce it.

Now, news articles such as you mentioned is an everyday occurrence in the world. We cannot escape it, as we are bombarded by the news media constantly. It is one thing to hear it and discuss it within the confines of one's home, in a church group, and it is altogether another matter to discuss it on an open forum where 11 year old students and even younger folks are coming to read the threads. It seems that some of the folks cannot escape from articles which titillate the mind, creating harsh controversy or heated debate, in order to satisfy their own drive for sensationalism. There are many newsworthy subjects out there, why does it have to be always about sex?

By the way, when you wish to get the attention of a Moderator (such as Brother Clint Kritzer or myself), please do not use personal pronouns in the subject line. You may use the BB Private Message system if you would like to discuss something of importance. As you may noticed, I deleted the personal pronouns from your "Subject" line. For it is one thing to question a Moderator openly (which could have the appearance of a "challenge"), and an altogether other matter to get to the truth via personal messaging. Thank you for your kind understanding. [​IMG]

3. Bob Farnaby

Bob Farnaby Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see the need for careful handling and control of certain subjects/topics. I'm not convinced that segregated private forums are the answer. On many topics I learn much from the comments of women as well as men (am I allowed to admit this on this board?) and I have a personal aversion to 'secret' societies ... which is where limited access areas can easily lead.

Don'y have the perfect solution for you, thanks for all the work the moderators do in difficult circumstances.

regards
    Bob

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Then why are the threads locked in the private forums too? Is this just a mistake?