1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Stacie, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Does anyone know of a free semanary course that I could take online? We are having some finacial problems, but I would love to be able to able to study some sort of Bible courses that are true to the Southren Bapt. doctrines. I have found some, but they are not at all Southren Bapt. and I'm not sure if I should trust all of their doctrines.

Thank you for your advice,

Stacie M. DeShazer

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

free? I don't know.

even through local associaitions, there is a minimal cost.

3. Nord

Nord New Member

I know of free and that would be Family Radio. They truly are free and there is no attempt to charge or solicit money. You can study various courses including languages.

http://www.familyradio.com

To be fair

http://www.familyradioiswrong.com

PROBLEM: Harold Camping is sincere but has come up with his own stange dispensational theology that calls this the end of the church age. Also... an engineer by trade he came up with a complicated mathmatical reasoning to strongly suspect that the second coming would occur in 1994 (??). Family Radio is not bad if you disregard Harold as many of the radio preachers are orthodox. A number of his courses though use things written by him. Take courses with discernment.

Bob Jones University has some inexpensive distance learning courses leading to diploma's. Correspondence are about 15 dollars per course and video are about $25. These are continuing ed and not their college level courses. Very orthodox.

http://www.bju.edu

South Africa Theological Seminary has accredited courses for around 60 or 100 US per course.

http://www.sats.edu.za

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You might look at this site, don't know much about it. Free I think.

Moody used to have some extension study courses, don't know how expensive they were.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caveat: I would have NOTHING to do with Family Radio and Harold Camping. He is on the lunatic fringe of christianity and you would not want to be tainted with his strange views.

6. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Amen and Ditto, Dr. Bob

7. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Thank you Dr. Bob for your advice. That's why I came here to ask. I wanted to be steered in the right direction. Maybe if I could find that one site I was checking out I could post it here and maybe you or someone else could check it out and see if it's Biblicaly sound or not? I would rather have most of my contact with males over a public board rather than in PM since my Hubby doesn't really like to come and read over my shoulder. (Just trying to keep the temptation away -- It's just something that I learned from the Family Life Today Forum.)

Stacie

[ September 22, 2004, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Stacie ]

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Don't trust anybody or any school. They will fail you. Trust scripture. Learn the basics and then dig for yourself.

9. Stacie

Stacie New Member

I do trust scripture and I have dug for my self. I know what I believe and I know why I believe, but I have a hard time articulating it. And I know that God is leading me into a ministry that I will need to be able to articulate it very well.

Stacie

10. Todd

Todd New Member

Stacie, don't listen to gb for he knows not of that which he speaks. Contrary to what those who've never attended seminary may say, you can believe the Word of God and trust in the illuminating power of the Holy Spirit and still attend a Christ-honoring seminary in search of a deeper understanding of the things of God. GB's comment is the equivalent of saying that if someone really trusted God, then they would not carry life insurance, health insurance, etc. That's ridiculous! While God has promised to lead us into all truth (John 14:26ff), He has also called us to love Him with all of our mind (Mk. 12:30). Attending seminary (or distance learning) is a wonderful way to do just that. I have received a B.A., M.Div., and have just recently enrolled at Baptist Bible Seminary (www.bbc.edu) in search of a Ph.D. Did I have to get those degrees to have a thorough understanding of God? No. Did pursuing those degrees help deepen my understanding? Absolutely, and I would recommend Christian higher education to anyone!

As for any free or inexpensive programs, I too am not aware of very much that would fall into that category. I know Liberty has some quality distance learning material, but I'm not sure what the cost is. If you really believe that God is calling you to pursue Christian higher education, I strongly encourage you to make the necessary sacrifices to move on or near campus if it is at all possible. If you're like I was, I could have made a much "better living" if I would have chosen distance learning, but I wouldn't trade the on campus experience I had for anything. Pray about it, and if God is leading you in that direction, remember that He is faithful and has promised to provide for all your needs (Phi. 4:19). Hope this helps some.

Todd

11. Stacie

Stacie New Member

I feel like that God is calling to Christian Higher education. And Liberity University is where I feel drawn to. But there is no way that we can move closer so I could attend on campus. First there would be the child care costs. Child care costs not only in money, but in me loosing out on some of my children's milestones that strangers would see before I would. Yes, I am selfish. I want to raise the children that God gave me and not leave it to some stranger who would see more of my child than I would. Because if I went to school on campus, then I would also have to work to pay for the child care.

Then there would be the cost of moving and higher rent ( we are living in a Rent house that my mom owns and she is charging us a fraction of what she could get in rent). And my DH (Dear/Darling Hubby) would have to find work where ever we moved to and that is hard. He is looking to find another job as it is now. And we are in a good school district. We don't want to up root the kids. I have a 3 year old at home and a 6 year old in shcool.

I wish I could move somewhere and go school on campous. That would be ideal, but I don't think we can afford the cost of that. (More along the lines of strangers taking care of my babies, than the money)

Stacie

12. Todd

Todd New Member

Stacie, I completely understand your situation. My wife and I have 3 children, and we were on campus with one of those children while I was in seminary (the other two hadn't come along yet). My wife and I have made the decision that she will stay home and be a homemaker, just as Paul explained to young Titus (Ti. 2:4ff). The fact that you have two children definitely throws a wrinkle into your educational options, and so it sounds like distance learning will indeed be the best way for you (although you may consider some inexpensive evening courses).

I recommend the following in attempting to pay for any distance learning tuition costs that you may incur:

*Check with your local Baptist association or your State Convention to see if any scholarship opportunities are available. You may be surprised by what you find.

*See if any of your friends knows of a local church that might be willing to provide you with some scholarship money. I know of two churches here in East TN that do that for college/seminary students seeking Christian higher education.

*Talk to someone within your own local church who may know if your church would be willing to sponsor you in some way during your educational endeavors. Again, you might be surprised by what you find.

*Talk to the folks at the financial aid office of the school you plan on doing your distance learning with. They can often direct you to scholarships and can work with you to help you pay your tuition in a way that is easier for you.

If you really want a quality education, there probably is not going to be anyway to get around paying a pretty fair amount of tuition. But remember, God will not call you to do something that He will not also provide the means for you to accomplish (Phi. 4:19). Follow every financial assistance lead you can find, pray about your decision, and step out in faith knowing that God will remain true to His Word. You are your family will be blessed and God's Kingdom will be advanced.

By the way, what type of ministry do you sense God calling you to? I'd be interested to know. Hope this helps.

Todd

13. Stacie

Stacie New Member

Well I have a burden to help Mormons who want to leave the LDS church to come to Christ. I had always assumed that those who left the Mormon Church became Christian. But I have recently found out that a lot of them hate anything to do with God/religoin and think that all relgion is fake. I had just thought that since they were leaving the LDS church because they had found Jesus and were no longer comfortable in the LDS Church. But doing some research on Mormonism for a friend who is a Mormon, I found this one message board. It's Recovery from Mormonism and you can't try to convert anyone to another relgion and there is so much bitterness there. I would say that the majority of posters there, hate anything to do with God. If they even believe in Him. And I blame all the lies and the controlling nature of LDS church.

I want to show those who I meet that while the LDS church is wrong, not all relgion is wrong. That it's not even a relgion, but a relationship with Christ that matters.

Stacie

14. Todd

Todd New Member

Stacie, you may consider contacting Cky Carrigan at Southeastern Seminary (919)556-3101. I'm pretty sure you can reach him there. He works with the department in SBC life that deals with evangelism towards Muslims, J.W.'s, etc. He may be able to direct you to some free distance learning that will be congruant with your call. Keep up the good work.

Todd

15. Stacie

Stacie New Member

16. countrybaptist

countrybaptist New Member

Stacie,
    Don't know if you're still looking. No posts for a few weeks.

I found this information just yesterday:

At Seminary Extension.com they are offering a free study on the book of John. You can also get more info on Seminary Extension there, too. Sounds like you would be interested in what they offer though.

Brian