1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questionable Decision

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Terry_Herrington, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Governor Rick Perry, of Texas, has bypassed the Legislature and has mandated that:

Beginning in September 2008, girls entering the sixth grade -- meaning, generally, girls ages 11 and 12 -- will have to get Gardasil, Merck & Co.'s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/02/02/tx.cervical.cancer.ap/index.html

According to the AP:

But in the real world, Gardasil is getting used less than doctors would like. Pediatricians and gynecologists from Arizona to New York are refusing to stock Gardasil because of its $360 price for the three doses required and "totally inadequate" reimbursement from most insurers.
    Pediatricians, in particular, are rebelling, fed up after years of declining insurance reimbursement for vaccines, an explosion of new vaccines and fast-escalating vaccine prices. Many practices must tie up $50,000 or more in vaccine inventory, run multiple refrigerators, insure the vaccines and spend lots of time on inventory management. They also must absorb the cost of broken or wasted vials and say that's not possible with most insurers reimbursing at just $2 to $15 over the $120 per dose charged by Gardasil's developer, Merck & Co. of Whitehouse Station, New Jersey.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/conditions/02/02/cancer.vaccine.ap/index.html

One troubling thing is the close ties between Governor Perry and Merck, the drug manufacturer. Not only has Merck contributed to Perry's campaign, but Mike Toomey is one of Merck's three lobbyists in Texas and is Perry's former chief of staff.

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Hey, they expect their money's worth. Perry turned out to be a great investment.

I do so wish that Dubya was still governor of Texas. How a good governor could become such a complete failure as president is a mystery to me.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why is the governor able to act as a dictator on this issue?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How much did they contribute?

5. Terry_Herrington

Read the article for yourself!

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already knew. I just wanted to see if you read your own source.

I'm sure that $6000 they contributed bought a lifetime commitment from Perry.:rolleyes:

7. Terry_Herrington

Yea, your right. I'm sure that their connection stopped there. :rolleyes:

Of course you can choose to believe that Perry is doing this because he really believes that all girls should be vaccinated. If fact, I'm sure you will do just that.

I question the relationship between Perry and Merck and think it is a bad idea to institute this policy.

I wonder how much money Merck stands to make if such a policy is implemented?

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's this?

Innuendo with no facts? Isn't that a little like malicious gossip?:eek:

I can't believe it. Tell me it ain't so.:)

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Are you against the vaccine for being mandatory or for being expensive? If it were a vaccine against testicular cancer, would it still be too expensive?

10. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Daisy,

Isn't one of the considerations here that this kind of cervical cancer is one that is brought on by sinful choices? Testicular cancer is not.

Furthermore, should a vaccine such as this be mandated? Since when does the government have the right to mandate this? What happened to medical issues staying between a woman and her doctor?

11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm stunned by this statement.

Are you saying that women with cervical cancer got cancer because they sinned?!?

What about the innocent wives who assume that their husbands are faithful and they have no idea that their philandering husbands brought the virus home to them.

What about innocent husbands who may have contracted it before he met his wife and while he has been very faithful to her, she contracted the HPV virus from him anyway?

No every woman who has cancer of the cervix got the virus from fornication. And even if she did commit fornication.......did she deserve the cancer? If that were the case, wouldn't all fornicating women have it?

Did you read the article?

It said that parents could opt out of this for their school age daughters by simple saying that it went against their philosophical or religious beliefs. The other article in the other thread said they could do the same for the sake of their conscience.

#11 Scarlett O., Feb 3, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  12. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This is quite an unbelievable, sexist and ignorant statement, particular coming from someone who calls himself a "pastor".

Note to mods...I said the statement is ignorant, not the person who made it.

13. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Did either of you see anywhere where I said I agreed with the argument?

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes.

The perpetration and perpetuation of evil is evil - especially when forced on children.

15. Magnetic Poles

Larry, then do you agree with it?

If I misunderstood your position, please accept my apologies. If I did not, my statement stands.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I realize the enormity of this problem. I realize the fear that people experience as they face their mortality. However, this inoculation does not address mortality, rather it protects against a risk of un-protected sex.

But, should we mandate inoculation upon children for feat that they will be promiscuous like 'we were?'

17. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Larry,

When I disagree with you, I let you know.

But, this time, I agree. And I let you and your attackers know.

This vaccine is driven by the promiscuity of America and the profits of big pharmaceuticals.

18. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Both of you jumped on a statement of fact. What I said is, in fact, one of the objections that some have raised. I didn't say I agree with the objection. In fact, I don't agree with it. But neither of you bothered to find that out before jumping on me for something I did not say. It is a little troublesome to me.

Daisy raised an issue, and I asked a question to demonstrate why some people are concerned.

Personally, I think the vaccine could be helpful. However, we do not know what the long term affects are. And I think it only addresses two strains of HPV that cause about 30% of cervical cancer. (Or perhaps its 70%; I can't remember which number goes with which end.)

I do have a problem mandating it, and I do have an issue with long term effects.

The bottom line: If people follow the biblical standards of morality, we don't need this vaccine. Should we vaccinate against things that originate with sin, whether the fault of the woman or not? I guess so ... But there is always a better option. Obedience to God's plan.

19. Magnetic Poles

FACT: People have sex. Always have, always will.
    FACT: We have the means to prevent cancer. How the cancer occurs matters not. We can protect our daughters & granddaughters from this deadly disease.
    FACT: Heads in the sand and hopes that our kids remain virgins doesn't mean they should not be protected if we have the means to do so.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here's what I posted on the other thread about this. I do NOT trust Merck or the politicians involved in this. If it were a safe vaccine with lots of testing behind it - long term, I'd let my daughters get it. I do not want them to get a cancer that could have been prevented. But I honestly think there are issues with it that do not make it safe.

(from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070202/ap_on_he_me/cervical_cancer)

And from http://www.ecanadanow.com/science/h...erous-and-expensive-as-a-mandatory-treatment/

I think something that can prevent a cancer that affects so many can be good - who's to know that my daughters will not marry someone who had a past before he was saved or something? BUT, I don't trust the drug companies and I think that this is too new a vaccine to trust it. I won't let my daughters get it yet and if it's mandatory, I'll refuse it.