1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

questions about the church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by bigczardaddy, Oct 13, 2005.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, could you please learn to use the quote function properly, then do a little judicious editing. It is not necessary to quote everything the previous poster posted, just that to which you are replying.
    No. You seem to have missed the point. The point was that the church (ekklhsia) is more than just "called out." It is a called out assembly
    No, we don't. You have drifted way off the topic. Let's try to stick to the topic. The Identity of the New Testament Church.
    Because the word is "assembly." They were an assembly in the wilderness. They were not a "church" in the New Testament sense. Again, lets get back on the subject The Identity of the New Testament Church.
    Once again you have failed to understand. I did not mention a "universal church." I spoke only of each local church over which the Lord is Head.
    Once again you have failed to stay on the subject, The Identity of the New Testament Church.
    The Scriptures don't contradict themselves. Just read 1 Thess 4 and see that it is all the saints who will be caught up, not just church members.
    No. I am not a Crazymatic. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit was a one-time event that took place on the day of Pentecost.
    No, I am saying exactly what I said. All the saints will be caught up.
    It is now plain to me that you don't understand what "mystery" means. When we see the word "mystery" in our bibles it does not mean "who done it" but rather, the unveiling of that which was previously unknown. The church of the gentiles was previously unknown to the Jews.

I have snipped the rest for most of it is off topic and much to convoluted.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Indeed this word is ekklesia, however it is not an exclusively theological kind of word even in the NT koine as the English word "Church".

It is used in the following way in other places in the Acts:

Acts 19:32 Some therefore cried one thing, and some another: for the assembly was confused; and the more part knew not wherefore they were come together.

Acts 19:39 But if ye enquire any thing concerning other matters, it shall be determined in a lawful assembly.

Acts 19:40 For we are in danger to be called in question for this day's uproar, there being no cause whereby we may give an account of this concourse. 41 And when he had thus spoken, he dismissed the assembly.

HankD

3. 4study

4study New Member

HankD,

70 is not really a cardinal adjective in this case but a number that conotes an idea. The idea is in my head but hard to explain. Probably because I'm still forumulating as I study about it. It seems to me that God divided the families of Gen. 10 into nations. These nations had a particular function. Similar to the functions we recognize of nations today; government, sterwardship, commerce, etc.. I think this is a reflection of what will be in the kingdom of God.

Yes, I believe there are born-again peoples in the nations of Gen. 10.

Perhaps. The nations of Revelation, IMO, are composed of those born-again througout all ages.

I'm not sure what you mean by "born of the Spirit". I'll continue to use "born again". It's more of one of my fundamental ideas so I think there are all kinds of scriptures about it. I would point to those about faith; Romans 3,4 (Abraham), Gal. 3, Hebrews 11. etc.. There are many others, just thinking off the top of my head.

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, also John 3 where Jesus asks
    "Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?" because Nicodemus did not know what He meant by the words "born again" and Jesus implied that he should have.

HankD

5. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

TCassidy and I agree on the nature of the "true" church - local, visible, assembly of scripturally immersed believers, like the one Jesus built during His earthly ministry, as we are "like Adam"
    by genetic heritage. We do not speak of "the universal man," but of "mankind," "the human family," etc; why not speak of the spiritual family, or family of God, or the "born-again" when we refer to all believers? Good Bible words.

While the following refs do not use the term
    "born of the Spirit," they do refer to the Holy Spirit filling and indwelling believers in the OT (I believe there was a question above on this?)

Joseph - Genesis 41:38
    Bezaleel - Ex. 25:34-36:1
    Caleb - Numbers 14:24
    Joshua - Numbers 27:18
    Gideon - Judges 6:34 ("Spirit clothed Himself
    with Gideon," Hebrew)
    Many prophets - Nehemiah 9:30
    Saved Israelites - Isaiah 63:11 (KJ uses sing.,
    Moses only)
    Ezekiel - Ezk. 2:2, 3:24
    Daniel - Dan. 4:8, 9, 18; 5:11; [6:3?]

And by the testimony of I Peter 1:10-11, every
    writer of OT prophetic Scripture was indwelt at least at some point(s) for that purpose. Whether any of these were permanent, "sealed" indwellings
    or fillings, is not spelled out in the OT (part of Ituttut's mystery, I guess!).

Since this "testimony of the preposition" is usually overlooked in the interests of a predetermined view, it may be of value to note it.

Best - Charles - Ro. 8:28

6. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Your privilege.

7. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Compare: the Shekinah Glory of God, indwelling the Holy of Holies in Israel and the "hagion pneuma" indwelling the New Testament Assembly.

New Testament Assemblies become much easier to identify. The pillar and ground of the Truth is still out there--preserved by The Spirit, The Holy. Not all "Churches" qualify.

Selah,

Bro. James

8. bigczardaddy

bigczardaddy New Member

this topic has taken a turn for the worse. i asked a couple questions and the replies have strayed so i leave this topic

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Hello Pastor Blair. I see I’m referenced in your post of November 5. Thanks for the complement of the “mystery” being conveyed to me from Christ in heaven, but for the record the “secret” in the “mysteries of God” was revealed to Paul, and I have never laid claim otherwise.

10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Christ Jesus is in the presence of the Glory of His Father in heaven, allowing even we Gentiles into the Holy of Holies, baptized by the Spirit.

11. R. Charles Blair

R. Charles Blair New Member

Hey, brother Ituttut - term used in the same sense as someone might say "Brother Blair's landmarkism" - the subject of which one speaks often, dear to their heart. Trust all is well in your world. Best - Charles - Ro. 8:28

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Love in the heart here Charles, as I know in your world. Christian faith, James Galatians 1:11-12

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Love in the heart here Charles, as I know in your world. Christian faith, James - Galatians 1:11-12