1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions for Fundamentalists

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Van, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

I can only speak with certainty about the Fundamental Baptist Fellowship International (FBFI). I would only be guessing if I included the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches (GARBC).
    The website I have for the FBFI is Proclaim and Defend
    The FBFI is anti KJVOnly but is not anti-KJV. In fellowship meetings, a preacher will read his text from the KJV and supplement it with other clearer renderings from other version if need be. The same goes for articles in Frontline Magazine. I hope this helps.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the link: . Some fundamentalists believe the King James Version is directly inspired by God and the only valid English translation, but GARBC churches reject this view.

Are you saying this in that the GARBC position is a problem - or are you just informing us?
    Very good link - some good info

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Information; Robert had said he couldn't speak for the GARBC, so I provided the link.

5. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Thanks, rsr. I try not to speak for organizations I have little or no knowledge of.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Summary, some Baptist Fundamentalist churches teach from other than the KJV, NKJV, and NASB. For example some use HCSB and ESV.
    Some Baptist Fundamentalist churches believe Christ died for all mankind, but other Baptist Fundamentalist churches believe Christ died only for the elect.

7. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

That is a fairly accurate statement. Fundamental Baptists are not as monolithic as some think they are or as some think themselves to be.

8. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Though not a member of a "Fundamentalist" Church I consider myself a Fundamentalist, certainly as defined by your 5 points. I guess i would also say I lean toward the Militant type since I believe a substantial part of the Bible is used to "expound doctrine AND expose all error and compromise and those who believe such", modifying the definition presented in the Sticky: "Some Definitions in Fundamentalism" slightly.

However since I don't attend a Fundamental Baptist Church perhaps I do not really understand their interpretation of Militant Fundamentalism.

I believe the 4 volume set, The Fundamentals, was the first books on Biblical Dictrine I read apart from the Bible after God saved me.

9. OldRegular

Your statement that penal substitutionary atonement means Jesus Christ dying for the elect only is incorrect!

10. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Me too. My church self-identifies as "Conservative Evangelical." They are Fundamental in that they affirm all of the Fundamentals, but the name has been so damaged by those who have co-opted it that they try to avoid the term.
    I too stand in the "Militant" position, but, for me, that means to expose false doctrine, not attack the people who believe it. I believe it is possible to separate the two and respect the person while condemning the false doctrine.
    I attend a Southern Baptist Church that focuses more on preaching the truth rather than exposing error. In my opinion, teaching/preaching the truth is, in itself, the exposing of error. I attended a seminar put on by the US Secret Service many years ago while I was still in Law Enforcement regarding how to identify counterfeit money. The agent stated "the best why to identify the counterfeit is to be intimately familiar with the real." That seems to me to be good advice for the ministry too. :)
    It was required reading in my "History of Fundamentalism" class taught by Dr. George W. Dollar, who was Dean of the seminary my last two years there. :)

11. OldRegular

I agree that sound preaching of the truth is not only beneficial but essential, particularly in this time of TV preachers. That being said I believe a pastor would be well advised to warn his congregation against those TV preachers who con the gullible into sending in "seed faith" money with which they enrich themselves!

12. Getting it Right

Site Supporter

I attended that seminar, also many years ago.

:cool:

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I come back to my questions:

1) Can a church be considered "fundamentalist" if it teaches from other than the KJV, NKJV, and NASB?

One poster said yes, but no link was provided to a Baptist church claiming to be fundamentalist, yet using something other than the KJV, NKJV or NASB as their pew bible.

2) And I also think pretty much every Baptist church teaches substitutionary atonement, Christ dying for all mankind, not all baptist churches teach penal substitutionary atonement, Christ dying for the Elect only. Does the umbrella of Fundamentalism cover both Limited or Particular Atonement, and General Atonement, i.e. Christ died for all mankind.

Again one poster answered yes, both views are considered fundamentalist.

Thus, according to the input received thus far, there are Calvinist leaning Baptist Fundamentalist Churches, and Non-Calvinist leaning Baptist Fundamentalist Churches.

14. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

My brother in law used to go out and evangelize with a few folks who went to a Calvinistic Fundy Baptist church. So yes they do exist. I'm not sure what version of the Bible they use though.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks R. L., do you recall if the Calvinist leaning Baptist Fundamentalist Church has a website?

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

I have no idea. The church was somewhere on the Eastern Shore in MD if you want to try and Google it. I don't remember the churches name either.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for your response, I have tried various formulation to find a church that is both Fundamentalist and Calvinist to no avail. But the search did find articles indicating Calvinist leaning pastors were finding homes in Fundamentalist churches.

18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on who is determining the definition of Fundamentalist!

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the Watergate era, the phrase "non denial denial" was in vogue, where something was said that seemed to say something, but upon reflection said nothing at all.

My questions were answered with, yes, there are Baptist Fundamentalist Churches (self professed on their website or in their literature) that are openly (1) Calvinistic leaning and/or (2) use pew bibles other than the KJV, NKJV, or NASB.

But thus far, I have not been able to find corroboration, except through anecdotal evidence.

#39 Van, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015
  20. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.