1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions for Liberty students

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Pastor Shaun

Pastor Shaun New Member

Did Liberty credit you with advanced standing hours? If so how many?

Also, does Liberty accept advanced standing credit hours from unaccredited schools such as ATS, NationsU, LBU? Have you ever heard of Liberty doing this? Is it a good thing?

I know of a man who transferred his MA to LU's MDIV program. They also gave him about 19 hours advanced standing from is bachelors degree equally 55 out of 90 hours for the mdiv. Is this typical?

Thanks!

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in the program (I've since transferred), I was credited with 30 advanced standing hours. My degree was RA, though, so I can't speak for UA schools.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not currently an LU student, though I seem to keep paying for it on a monthly basis...;)

While I was there (which was not too long ago) they would accept transfer credits. The sticky point is in how they would transfer those credits. Each institution is different. I had friends who knew they would end up at LU, call the registrar and get a list of transferable classes, take those at another school, and transfer them in. (Of course on a number of occassions the registrar would "forget" they said it was okay to transfer a class in and it would go to "electives.") They definitely transfer in RA schools and have a healthy relationship with UA schools but that list has gotten shorter in recent years.

I had friends that would go to Word of Life for two years, transfer to LU for their last two years and be happy go lucky (with a HUGE scholarship apparently.) Of course that relationship has gone away by now. It is like any other school. They did accept AP classes from my high school and they offer CLEP like crazy.

The hard part is you have to get through to an actual admission counselor. That is still ridiculously hard, I have a friend who is going there this fall from another school and it has been a full 9 month process. Crazy. But that is what it is like at most other schools too. :)

cheerio!

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The only thing I know for a fact, is that they take all degrees which are accredited by any recognized accrediting agency (CHEA). In other words, if you have a M. Div. from a college which is DETC accredited, Liberty will grant you entrance into the D. Min. program.

They also take credits from any accredited (RA, ATS, TRACS, DETC, etc.) degree, but as fore mentioned, they may shovel them off into elective slots.

I ALSO know that Liberty has accepted degrees from Andersonville. NationsU will probably me a non issue by 2009...apparently they are looking very good for DETC accreditation. This will not be retroactive to past degrees, but if you earn all but one credit, and wait, it will apply.

5. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

I echo this. I transfered in a few credits from Global University (DETC Accreditation), several military transfer credits from military schools, and more than 40 credit hours from a bookkeeping certificate and a computer science Associate Degree from Harcourt Learning which changed to Thompson Learning Direct and I think has changed to something else; they are also DETC.

Some of my credits didn't go toward the degree, the accounting credits to be specific, but many (most) did. I think they are not as giving lately with the transfer credits as they once were though. I have heard that from a friend who applied.

6. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

I can't speak for the seminary, but in undergrad they routinely accept transfer credits from school like Hyles-Anderson, Louisiana Baptist, Pensacola and the like. That attracts plenty of transfers from said schools since there isn't another regionally accredited schools that is so receptive.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Maybe. Some schools have done so and some have had SACS or North Cent state that you had to have X number of hours after the accreditation taking effect for grandfathering to occur. It can be risky.

8. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I went to Liberty for about two years during my undergraduate time frame. The program has changed substantially since I attended, for the better I might add. They did take one class as an elective for my life experience, but I had to prove where I was in a class like setting and I did college level academic work. I also went to an ua bible college in which they did not accept the credits, but offered me the ability to ICE test. A ICE test, I do not know what the acronym stands for, your knowledge of the subject and if you pass, you gain credit. They are fairly inexpensive. The seminary went under a bit of scrutiny because a Florida pastor who stated he obtained a master's and doctorate from an ra, was found to be incorrect. He also said Dr. Caner would accept his credits toward Liberty's seminary program. This was not the case, as he stated on his blog that this would not happen and does not happen. I think the times have changed in which Liberty will accept a ua degree because of thier ra. Sacs would not allow it.

9. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

For the record, the title and description of this forum needs to be changed if a thread on a Baptist school's football season opener can't be permitted. If this is only for academic discussion then it needs to be made clear.