1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions For Southern Baptists

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by WW2'er, Oct 9, 2002.

1. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

1. Is LifeWay Publishers considered the "Official" publishing arm of Southern Baptists?

2. How much control does the SBC have on or over LifeWay or other publishers?

3. If good, bible based, "Non-denominational" material was offered through LifeWay, would most Southern Baptists accept that material without reservation because it was purchased from LifeWay?

Thanks in advance for any insights! [​IMG]

2. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

1. Is LifeWay Publishers considered the "Official" publishing arm of Southern Baptists? YES

2. How much control does the SBC have on or over LifeWay or other publishers? OVER LIFEWAY, QUITE A BIT SINCE THERE ARE TRUSTEES, ETC. OTHER PUBLISHERS, NONE.

3. If good, bible based, "Non-denominational" material was offered through LifeWay, would most Southern Baptists accept that material without reservation because it was purchased from LifeWay?
    NO.

3. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

Thanks, Rev. G., for your input.

As to your answer on question #3, why do you say, "No"? Are Southern Baptists so exclusive minded that if something was not written, created, or founded by a Southern Baptist that they consider it no good? Not accusing, just looking for further insight and a greater understanding of the Southern Baptist mindset on these types of matters. [​IMG]

4. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

I've never met a Southern Baptist who would refuse Christian material simply on the basis of its not being Southern Baptist in nature or origin. Maybe the SB church I grew up in was liberal (ha!)?

But, I just noticed the "without reservation." That - I assume - is why you got the "no" answer to question #3.

[ October 09, 2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: stubbornkelly ]

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lifeway produces a lot of material that is not "baptist" per se. Ask for a catalog. We are not SBC but use some items from Lifeway in our church.

Like any good publisher, they will produce a lot of items for the great variety of churches and christians within the faith. For SBC, Lifeway is conservative. For ifb'ers like me, it is not NEARLY so conservative as, for example, Regular Baptist Press.

6. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

It depends upon the individual congregation. Of course the "without reservation" has a lot to do with my reply as well. Many SBCers will take whatever the Convention puts out, but in the last 20 years with the entire controversy in our convention (inerrancy, moderates vs. conservatives, etc.) there has been a reluctance to use some of the things put out by LifeWay.

Personally, I think LifeWay puts out some good things, but they also put out a lot of "fluff." I tend to shy away from using their Sunday School materials.

Rev. G

7. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Thank you Rev. G !! I thought it was just me...

I don't care too much for Lifeway's Sunday School materials either.
    I seem to be the only one at my church who feels this way.

8. Rev. G

Rev. G New Member

JamesJ:

On the positive side, which materials have you found useful, if any?

Rev. G

9. LAWC

LAWC New Member

Many SBC use materials from Campus Crusade for Christ--specifically their FamilyLife and Homebuilders.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Regarding Lifeway "Sunday School Material," we do not use it at all at my SBC church. All Sunday School class teachers at my church simply teach directly from the Bible. However, because we are located so close to SEBTS we have access to plenty of good teachers that have been trained how to expound the Word. Therefore, we have no need for fluffy Sunday School materials.

11. WW2'er

WW2'er New Member

I'm not familiar with their Sunday School material. What is it that you do not care for? Is there not enough doctrine taught?

12. Rosa

Rosa New Member

I have no problem with their Sunday School material. I am not crazy about the "Extra" that they put out on the internet but that is just a personal thing. I use the Sunday School material for a Jumping-off place for discussion about the scriptures used in that lesson.