1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions from an agnostic

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jack Matthews, Oct 12, 2006.

1. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Humblesmith,

re: "If he says no, then his problem is not evidence, but refusal to believe."

Are you implying that you think that a person has the ability to consciously CHOOSE to believe that someone or something does or doesn’t exist or that a certain proposition is or isn’t true?

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

It's amazing how quickly so-called contradictions fade from view when one is encountered by the Living Christ.

3. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting question. I'm currently studying this exact thing in an epistemology class. My instructor doesn't believe that it's possible to choose to deny what your mind clearly percieves. It's an interesting point.....at first glance, I'd say that the mind is more complex than that, able to deny what it clearly perceives. Look at the people who get devastating news, such as terminal cancer, and their mental defence mechanisms kick in, and they go into denial. Also, plenty of people make statements about the existence of God, whether the bible is true, and doctrinal positions, and people can clearly grasp the propositions yet disagree.

But I'm still studying about the "automatic belief" thing, I'm not sure. Cognition and mental states are an interesting thing.