1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Questions on Hell

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Aug 27, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am gonna open air preach on Hell soon enough and do more research on the topic. I know what Jesus said about Hell (and it was not a parable as real names are mentioned). I know what Revelation says, and what the Bible generally teaches on the topic. I was looking to dive into it more, but I am not interested in books reacting against someone, or a movement, but only interested in books diving into the subject of Hell of which I am not aware of much that has been printed this century as mostly everything seems to be a four views type of book, or a book written to refute someone. I have however a book on the topic by Edward Donnelly whom appears to be Reformed, and I have a book by a puritan.

Okay so my question for you.

Why do you think most evangelicals avoid teaching on Hell, or seriously underemphasize it?
    Some will exaggerate the topic and always use examples of an extremist on the topic to defend their view in not teaching it. This is bad logic, as not everyone whom teaches on Hell is an extremist on the topic.

#1 evangelist6589, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When are you going to stop question begging?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove that "most eveangelicals" avoid teaching on hell or underemphasize it. I doubt you can make the case.

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE Why do you think most evangelicals avoid teaching on Hell[/QUOTE]

First of all have you ever read "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God by Jonathan Edward in the 1700s. The aftermath after that sermon is a classic as was the sermon. My wife is a high school teacher and it is required reading in her class. I have a better suggestion, why don't you according to Apostle Paul preach Jesus Christ and him crucified? You will have your hands full for the rest of your life if you just teach that. I would not mess around with HELL it is out of your league. Beside the beauties found in Jesus Christ are more appealing. Here is the link to that sermon.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/sermons.sinners.html

#4 tyndale1946, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You cannot properly tell someone about Jesus and why they need him and not talk about hell. It just cannot be done.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

When you go chase a rabbit.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree Rev. This is one of those things that just gets said, but doesn't really hold up. What is happening less is the old school fire and brimstone, turn or burn, scare you to Jesus type of preaching. That, I don't think is a bad thing.

Jesus talked plenty about hell. If you simply preached through the Gospels you'd have to work to avoid it. No scare tactics needed.

8. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL's question was legitimate. You assume that "most evangelicals avoid teaching on Hell, or seriously underemphasize it" without offering any evidence that this is indeed the case.

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you didn't get my little play on words. When you say, "Why do you think most evangelicals avoid teaching on Hell"? that is called begging the question. You have made an assumption, namely, most evangelicals avoid teaching on Hell and then you ask a question about it as if your premise was true.

Likewise, my question back to you was question begging.

Anyway, I'm in the same camp as RevMitchell on your question:

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On this you and I agree. Glad to see that every once in a while. :thumbs:

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many ignore that issue, due to teaching what people want to hear, to teach health/wealth/prospereirity, and reminding them that until God saves them, they are sinners in a bad way does not fit their agenda!

Hard to tell people that they are sinners deserving hell, when they are telling them that they are good, and God has a wonderful plan for you as a Kings Kid!

12. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will reply to this thread tomorrow. Was at church and had a chat with a discouraged brother whom does not like rejection in witnessing and I was showing him In the Bible the doctrine of election, the effectual call of the spirit, and from Jesus how the world will hate the elect. Although I could not remember the passage from the sermon on the mount when Jesus says it's a blessing when men reject you because of Christ. This brother was listening and is open to reading which is good.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are sowing the seeds of Calvinism at your wife's non-Cal church? Is that it?

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well its all based on my life experience having lived in 3 states and been to a number of churches, and also based on what Mac said in this article below.

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/disappearance-hell/

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all have you ever read "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God by Jonathan Edward in the 1700s. The aftermath after that sermon is a classic as was the sermon. My wife is a high school teacher and it is required reading in her class. I have a better suggestion, why don't you according to Apostle Paul preach Jesus Christ and him crucified? You will have your hands full for the rest of your life if you just teach that. I would not mess around with HELL it is out of your league. Beside the beauties found in Jesus Christ are more appealing. Here is the link to that sermon.

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/edwards/sermons.sinners.html[/QUOTE]

Not the entire thing but parts of it. Thanks for the link.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its a heavily underemphasized doctrine in churches and also in evangelism programs. How many tracts do you know of that fully hit on Hell these days? Very few with the Chic Tracts exception.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No I was teaching the word of God to a discouraged brother. I never mentioned Calvinism once in our conversation but only gave him encouragement and took pressure of him not to think that he is the one that must bring people to salvation.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What type of church is it?

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Therein lies the rub.
    and yet in another thread where I said I'd go only to a Primitive Baptist church even if it took driving miles and miles as some of my brethren do, the gist of most of the questions is, "did I not feel others who were not PB's were worshiping the same God" or words to that effect.
    This is like an unbeliever being yoked to a believer, and vice-versa.
    One will most likely speak of the other about what he believes, and that is going to be unfair to the speaker, because he will be accused of trying to proselytize the entire congregation.
    So he can either squirm in his seat, or open his mouth, or leave the church.
    Get out of that church, evangelist, and leave your wife there if she doesn't want to come with you.
    At least, both of you are worshiping the same Jesus, just that both of you think of grace different.
    I've seen professing Christians stay married with practicing Catholics, and everything is cool between them.
    Or you'll have to admit to yourself, that, yes, I'd like them to see the "light" of Calvinism.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wouldn't the Lord want them to worship though as a couple in same church?