1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions RE: The Fall/Satan

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Bro. Jeff, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I've read that when man disobeyed God the devil was given the earth and the power of death.

Can someone explain to me how this happened? I am having difficulty seeing how the power was transfered.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jeff, if satan has the power to kill us, then why doesn't he kill us all before we can become Christians?

That is something I've never heard preached.

3. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I agree. That's why I'm questioning. I believe I read that on a transcribed Macarthur sermon, but I'm having a hard time finding it so I could be wrong.

I wanted to ask, thinking that perhaps someone one might hold to that belief might clarify the position.

Any thoughts on the dominion of the earth by Satan aspect?

4. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Satan may have the power of death in some respect, I don't know. But remember that satan couldn't do just anything he wanted to Job. And this was after the fall. So while satan may be a "leader" of sorts on the earth, he still has to work within constraints set by God. So any "power" over death satan may have (if he has any at all) is not absolute power and it obviously isn't a decision he can make in a vacuum.

There's also a more subtle possibility that has to do with temptation. It's an interesting question - do you have a link to the transcript?

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where did that come from? Trying to figure out any Scripture that would even imply such.

7. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Where did that come from? Trying to figure out any Scripture that would even imply such. </font>[/QUOTE]The idea probably comes from this... (emphasis mine)

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

First, we have this prediction in the OT:

Isa 25:8 He will swallow up death in victory...

Then, we have this fulfillment in the NT:

I Cor 15:54...then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. 55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory? 56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Satan's power was/is due to our fear of death. He uses fear and intimidation to keep us in bondage.

Heb 2:15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

Heb 3:14...him that had the power of death, that is, the devil

If there is no more law, there is no more strength of sin, if there is no more sin (imputed to us), then there is no more sting of death.

Satan's power wasn't in his ability to impose death upon us (we already had the death penalty imposed on us), but his tool to bend us to his way. If we acknowledge that the power is gone then the fear is gone as well. Oh, we might still be a bit leary of the process because, sometimes it hurts, but, the fear of being dead is gone.

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Excellent, Artimaeus.

10. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Could you clarify that some? I'm not understanding how he used death to bend us to his way. Thanks.

11. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Just want to bump this so Artimaeus will see and answer.

12. DCK

DCK New Member

Where did that come from? Trying to figure out any Scripture that would even imply such. </font>[/QUOTE]Although I'm not certain, I would guess that it is an inference from passages such as John 12:31; 16:11; 2 Corinthians 4:4. Also, it is sometimes argued that Satan could not have tempted Jesus with the kingdoms of the world (Matthew 4:8-10; Luke 4:5-8) if they were his to give.