1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions to ask Potential Pastor's

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea so what?

2. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

In all honesty, P4T is accurate in stating that this Pastor probably was being very cautious over the phone. While E,W&F is an exception to this rule, Pastors know that these phone calls often come from a group of people who jump from church to church, leaving the first time something doesn't go the way they want it to.

I have yet to see such a person come in truly desiring discipleship...I have seen a number of these types who come in with bad attitudes, complaining about their previous churches and pastors. Such attitudes don't get them very far and, rather than change (and realizing that there is no opportunity to start trouble), they quickly chose to leave.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

In my experience, many small churches do an excellent job of boldly preaching theological truth. Of course, such arguments are always anecdotal.

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

There is nothing wrong about a small church, and larger in size doesn't mean better.

I have heard a lot of great preaching come from smaller churches. And bad preaching come from larger ones. Usually the preacher at the larger church was beyond ever thinking that he could be wrong, for to many of them, the size of the congregation proved they must be right. And arrogance gernerally ensues.

In our ideology today of measuring success, we have those preachers who compare themselves with others, and draw a conclusion, and then slander others, Proverbs 10:18. Comparing ones self with another is the task of fools, 2 Cor. 10:12.

God will determine who was successful, and otherwise.

Furthermore, we shouldn't look at our ministry, or our place of worship as a stepping stone.

To do so is nothing but pure arrogance.

#65 preacher4truth, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do they teach you to be parinoid in seminary or is that a learned response? My God, If you knew the geography & the region then perhaps you could talk credibly but I doubt seriously that Christ would have approached things the way some of you pastors do. Thankfully there are some guys out there that rise above this nonsense & create a learning environment for everyone......Thank you Al Martin, & Thank you Dear Rev Fredericks.

#66 Earth Wind and Fire, Dec 15, 2010
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok so I get it. Its an arguement of Small vs Large churches. Since Ive spent over 50 years in the small ones & honestly have heard good preaching Im apt to agree with you on some good sermons. however what do you do when you have a guy who wants more & more? how do you help that person?

8. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry. I misunderstood your post.

#68 JohnDeereFan, Dec 15, 2010
  9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To do so is nothing but pure arrogance. Cool! Thank you ....In NJ & NY thats considered a complement. ROFL

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you should come here....youd fit right in!

11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That is absolutely not what I said. This is my quote you're missing the point about:

The vast majority of believers don't know about, or know they need to know about, deeper theological stuff.

Look at this and read it slowly out loud. (That'll be a test for you, but try it.)

I didn't say what you incorrectly read. I said they do not know about deeper theological truth...and (this is the slow part) they do not know that they should be pursuing growth in deeper theological truth. And it is incumbent on a pastor to help people begin to realize they should be growing and digging deeper and get them there.

It's not my fault you didn't read my post properly. Go back re-read slowly and then think about it before you implicate me as a poor pastor.

#71 preachinjesus, Dec 15, 2010
  12. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I don't know that it is. Well it's not about that from where I'm coming from. My concern is railing on these ministers without giving them a generous read.

You're looking for a Reformed Baptist pastor who will personally mentor you through the next two to four years.

I can name two guys out of my entire network that would fit that category and be willing to do so. It's a very high standard. I'm not saying you should pursue it but know it's a small, small category.

You need a personal mentor that fits the category you're looking for.

I am personally mentoring four young guys right now in this way. I love mentoring young guys, three of whom have no desire to be in vocational ministry, because it is what will change the world. Now each one of them has been personally cultivated from within either the church where I serve (2 of them) or from referrals in my local network. My primary requirement for anyone I mentor is that they need to be actively serving in a local church.

My reason is this: the heart of Christian maturity and growth is found in the practices and disciplines of Christianity. Serving others the greatest sign, imho, of a humble, mature Christian. You start serving and you put into play the theology we talk about during our weekly meetings. I'm interested in helping guys who want to grow to grow, who want to learn to learn...the best way to do that is to get them serving.

So I'd recommend you settle into a local church you're called to, start serving, and then see if there is mentor available. :)

13. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I understand exactly how you feel, preachinjesus. Been there, had that done here, too.

14. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK. You got me. I did misunderstand what you said. I apologize for misrepresenting your words.

If there wasn't a time limit on the time you have to edit your posts here, I'd go back and undo it.

That having been said, there is a way to correct people without being rude about it.

15. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I appreciate, and accept the apology. :)

Please, in the future be slower to criticize other people's pastoral ministry.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother that wasnt my intent, by the same token you didnt hear the full conversation. However if thats how I came off I apologize.

Ive made a decision to go to the Church in Montville. There I will receive the attention required & they even have provisions for a seminary. Albert Martin is well reputed in Reformed Circles as a noteworthy contributor & leader as is his staff. Of course there are trade offs but I will humbly stick to my decision.

Thanks for all your insight.