1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Questions to ask when joining a church

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Salty, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In another thread, Diane stated that when she found out the pastor, of a new chuch they had just join, had been divorced she decided to leave and find another church. Are there any question you would ask when joining a new church?

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you have monthly business meetings? If so, run!

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did I mention that I always want to see a copy of the constitution (which should of course include the articles of faith) and the financial statement.

4. Grace

Grace New Member

LOL Saggy..we used to have monthly business meetings! NASTY! They were SOOOO boring and our old youth minister used to require the youth to go. blech.

Now, we have quarterly business meetings, and they aren't SO bad, but still boring.

I want to know if there is a place that I can serve--or do they have an "establishment" that they won't let newcomers into.

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are a number of doctrinal questions that I would ask, prominent in those would be are you Trinitarian and do you believe that Jesus Christ is the only way to eternal life.

Yet with what I am going through at the moment, I would ask how do you Disciple your members?

Are people growing in this church? How do they disciple people, does the pastor train others to do the work that he does, or does he jelously guard his pulpit refusing others opportunities to speak.

A church that can honestly show you that people are being Discipled there into the calling that God has for them is a church that you should have a serious look at joining!

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I would ask about their participation in missions--giving and going.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to know how many of their leaders are currently discipling people. That tells about their vision and obedience.