1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quick question

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Amy.G, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Just a quick question. Which is better? "genuine leather" or "cowhide"? I am tired of cheap bonded leather that lasts for only a few months.

Thought you guys might not mind me asking since this thread is a little slow right now. :)

2. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Amy, cowhide can be genuine leather or split leather. Pigskin or sharkskin can also be genuine leather. I believe some Bible manufacturers use lambskin too (unsure on that one). Usually "genuine leather" means that the cover is one piece and has not been bonded (made from many pieces of leather combined with an adhesive).
    Bruce

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thanks Bruce. The reason I ask is because the Bible I have chosen comes in either cowhide or gen. leather. I was wondering what the difference was. The cowhide costs more.

4. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Calfskin is the best you can get in my opinion.

Bonded leather is leather bonded together with latex...so it's not "pure" leather.

Calfskin comes from the hides of young cattle. It is very long lasting and durable.