1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quicken 2003

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by computerjunkie, Oct 8, 2003.

1. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Does anybody use this version of Quicken? I have used Quicken for years, and upgraded to 2003 earlier this year. This version seems to have more features for downloading updates to investment accounts, and I think it is set up to keep track of your investments online should you so desire.

Does anyone use these features? I am somewhat hesitant to do a lot of "online" tracking due to security concerns.

CJ

[ October 08, 2003, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: computerjunkie ]

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Quicken is near and dear to my heart. [​IMG]

When you track your investments, or do any online banking, it uses the highest level of security used if you were to do it manually through Microsoft's Internet Explorer (RC4 128-bit high-grade encryption), and all personal data is stored (encrypted as well) on your personal machine. Very safe. The U.S. version of Quicken also lets you keep your portfolio online (via an account on quicken.com), which also uses encryption. Basically, Quicken's online features are as secure as your bank account via your bank's website.

You can check out their privacy statement at this link:
    http://www.quicken.com/support/privacy/

(Disclaimer: My views, opinions and understandings above do not necessarily state or reflect those of Intuit Inc. The information, opinions and analysis I provided are based on sources believed to be reliable but no representation, expressed or implied, is made as to its accuracy, completeness or correctness.) [​IMG]

3. computerjunkie

computerjunkie New Member

Thanks, Brian! Do you work for Intuit?? :D

I keep track of my checkbook and all investment accounts with Quicken. (Reconciling my checkbook is a snap!!) I update my investments manually each month (or quarter) from the statements I receive, but I think it will do this for me automatically, right? Looks pretty simple, but I have just been a little hesitant to let it "automatically" do anything! (Call me a "control freak"!)

Maybe I'll try it this month, based on your assurances, keeping in mind your disclaimer!!

4. BrianT

BrianT New Member

What gave you that idea? ;) Yes, I'm one of the programmers on the Quicken team. My primary focus is the international versions though (Canada, French Canada, and UK).

Yes, it should do that no problem. If you are hesitant (I would be too, messing up your investing records can be painful), I suggest you first use the backup feature to save a copy of your data, then try it out, and then check it carefully - if anything is messed up or if you're still not sure, you can just restore your backup.

(Repeat on the disclaimer. I'm supposed to say something like that if I discuss Quicken in a public setting.) [​IMG]