1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quote from signature line

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by guitarpreacher, Nov 19, 2008.

1. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

This qoute is from the signature line on Agnus_Dei's posts - "The Bible did not produce the Church, the Church produced the Bible. The Church is not built upon the Bible, it is built upon the apostles and prophets. Christ did not leave a written book to guide his Church, he left living men empowered by the Holy Spirit."

Do you really believe that Agnus?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm pretty sure s/he is not baptist so you may want this moved to forums open to All Christians. I think s/he is a methodist in the process of converting to the EOC.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

All I can say is, WOW... :BangHead:

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Agnus is not permitted to post in this particular forum.

6. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Guitarpreacher,

Sadly, yes, he does.

He is caught in the deadly tentacles and web of the Orthodox/Church of Rome counterfeit groups.

I have prayed for the opening of this dear ones eyes and still believe that in time they will in fact be opened.

Praise God!

:godisgood:

#6 Alive in Christ, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  7. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

I didn't think to check the profile to see if agnus is baptist. If this would be better in another forum, maybe one of the mods could move it there.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Alive in Christ

He is in the midst or converting to the "Orthodox" group.

The orthodox have a long, drawn out process that one must go through.

10. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Yes, really

"The Bible did not produce the Church, the Church produced the Bible.
    The “Bible” in my signature refers to the “Bible” as you and I know it today. So yes, the Church was in existence before the Bible was complete. The Church is generally understood to have begun on the day of Pentecost. The Apostles had yet to pen anything in regard to our New Testament.
    The Church is not built upon the Bible; it is built upon the apostles and prophets. Christ did not leave a written book to guide his Church,
    Since the Church pre-dates the Bible, the Church is clearly built upon the martyred blessed Apostles and prophets as Christ the Chief Cornerstone of the Church.

Nowhere in Holy Scripture do we read Christ instructing His Apostles to go forth and write a book, neither do we read in Holy Scripture where Christ left the Apostles any book to guide His Church.

Instead we read Christ instructing His Apostles to go out into the world baptizing and making disciples and lo, Christ will be with them until the end of the world.
    he left living men empowered by the Holy Spirit."
    Christ promised to be with His Church until the end of the world and that the gates of hell would never prevail. Christ promised His Holy Spirit would guide them and remind them of all things. The Holy Apostles are long gone, asleep in the Lord, but the Holy Spirit continues to do His job and will continue until the end of the world.

In XC
    -

11. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Yes, I was raised a fundamental Baptist, around 4 years ago I began to re-think my theological view...discovered John Wesley and was introduced to liturgical worship and the sacramental view of the Church. Discovered the Church Fathers, flirted with Roman Catholicism and eventually eneded up in the Orthodox Church 4years later.

In XC
    -

12. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

Ummm, no, not a particularly “long” process; generally one becomes a catechumen and attends catechesis which varies in length from Church to Church. Generally our head Pastor likes to see a Catechumen experience all the major feasts of the Church…Pascha and The Nativity of Christ to name a few. Our Pastor is involved in every step and when he believes you are ready, he’ll baptize you (if you’ve never been baptized by immersion) and then you’ll be Chrismated, then you are a member of the Holy Orthodox Church.

It took my family and I about 9 months to become members.

In XC
    -

13. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Christ did not have to instruct his apostles because the Holy Spirit did - they wrote under the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit. The church did not produce the Bible, the church discovered it.

Besides, most of scripture (the Old Testament) was already written before Jesus incarnated - Jesus referred to the OT as "scripture." The NT, as the OT was, was produced by God through the Holy Spirit.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. John 14.26

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I thought I did have the Toledo church that cut and pasted.

16. Alive in Christ

Here are some examples of the toxic beliefs and practices that sadly, and tragically, exist in the Orthodox counterfiet group....

Orthodox prayers to Mary...

http://www.transchurch.org/sguide/praybk.htm

http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/dormition.html
    www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/dormition.html

Very sad

#16 Alive in Christ, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The Bible is the inspired Word of God. The same Word that became flesh and dwelt among us. The Church contains men. To say the Church wrote the Bible is to say the Bible was written by men and is man's word instead of the Word of God. That just isn't so.

The Church is built on the confession of faith. "...Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The Gospel is what Christ lived and left with his disciples/Church. The Gospel is not a written book, it is the story of the death, burial and resurrection of our savior Jesus Christ. It was originally spread by word of mouth but the disciples later put it to paper so the accurate truth could live on.

Don't discredit the Bible because it was written by Man, what Man wrote was the Word of God.

18. Alive in Christ

LeBuick,

Agreed. And the reason we know it is not of mans origin is because....

The scriptures where ultimately God breathed, with God being the author and man...in effect...being the "recorder"

Thats not to say the authors didnt use their mind...they did. But Almighty God still caused every word to be exactly as HE desired.

It is the instructions and wisdom that God wanted us to have, given to us directly from heaven...through human instruments.

And He condemns ANYTHING that is added to it or considered to be authoritative along with it.

19. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I disagree that this is what Agnus_Dei is saying. I agree with him that the Bible did not produce the church. Christ built the church on the apostles and the existed several decades before most of the NT was written. I also agree with him that the church produced the Bible and I\'m sure all our Eastern Orthodox brethren will agree that the New Testament was written by God through his Church. The specific books of the bible were also canonized by the Church under God\'s direction. Of course, I would disagree with the Orthodox if they suggest that the Church therefore has authority that supercedes that of scripture.

20. Alive in Christ

Gold Dragon,

Ah, but that was only a temporary foundation. In short order all the apostles and prophets of that generation were gone.

And at that point the scriptures were completed by the adition of the new covenant scriptures.

And the scriptures...authored exculsively by God Himself using human instruments...have been the foundation (after Christ of course) ever since then.

No it didnt.

The church did not produce the scriptures, they were given to them by Almighty God.

To say the church produced the bible would be like you posting a post on here, and then saying..."Look, my computer just composed and posted this message!"

No it didnt. YOU composed the post, using the computer as the instrument to get your thoughts onto the web-site.

#20 Alive in Christ, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008