1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Quotes About Election

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Rippon, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First up at bat will be "that noble exegete" ( the words of a noble history prof. at BJU when he referenced -- ) A.W.Pink .

We ask the reader , ought not the doctrine of election to be plainly and freely proclaimed ? If God's Word be full of it , if the gospel cannot be Scripturally preached without it, if the grace of God cannot be maintained when it is suppressed , if the proclamation of it abases man into the dust , if it be a divinely appointed means of faith , if it be a powerful incentive unto the promotion of holiness , if it stirs in the soul the spirit of praise , if it establishes the Christian in the certainty of his security , if it be such a source of stability to the servant of God , if it supplies encouragement to praying souls and affords valuable instruction therein , if it work in us a sweet submission to the divine will ; then shall we refuse to give unto God's children this valuable bread merely because dogs snap at it or withhold from the sheep this vital ingredient of their food simply because the goats cannot digest it ?

[ All of which Rippon gives an enthusiastic " AMEN !! ]

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C.H.S. A Bad Excuse Is WorseThan None

' Sir , that doctrine troubles me and staggers me . If I knew I was one of the elect , I would trust Christ .' That is -- if God will show you his secrets , then you will do God's will , and so the Almighty is to bend to your conditions , and then you will do as He bids you ! You will come to feast at the man's table , if he will take you into his secret closet , and show you all his treasure ! He will do nothing of the kind . How foolish this talk is about election ! The doctrine of election is a great and precious truth , but it never can be a valid reason for a man's not believing in Christ ... I will tell you this , if you will not believe in Jesus Christ , you will be damned , be you who you may , but you will not be able to lay it at predestination's door ; it will lie at your own... When men are hard-up for an excuse , they are glad to run to the mysteries of God to use them as a veil to cover their faces . O my dear friends , you must know that though God has a chosen people , yet when He commands you to to believe in Christ , His having a chosen people cannot excuse you from obedience to the divine command : ' Believe on the Lord Jesus christ , and thou shalt be saved . '

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Count another enthusiastic AMEN.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C.H.S. Election And Holiness

There are some of you who are making an excuse out of the doctrine of Election , an excuse , an apology for your own unbelieving and wicked hearts . Now , remember , the doctrine of Election exercises no constraint whatever upon you . If you are wicked you are so because you will be so . If you reject the Saviour you do so because you will do so . The doctrine does not make you reject Him . You may make it an excuse , but it is an idle one ; it is a cobweb garment that will be rent away at the last day . I beseech you lay it aside , ... if you believe , you are saved . If you trust Christ , be you who you may , or what you may , the wide world over , you are a saved man . Do not say , " I will not believe because I do not know whether I am elected ." You cannot know that until you have believed . Your business is with believing ... If you trust Christ , your sins shall be forgiven , your iniquities blotted out . O may the Holy Spirit breathe the new life into you . Bowing the knee , I beseech you , kiss the Son lest He be angry . Receive His mercy now , steel not your hearts against the gracious influence of His love ; but yield to Him , and you shall then find that you yielded because He made you yield .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C.H.S. Election : Its Defenses And Evidences

Since the day of your conversion has the Word ever rebuked you ? Has it sometimes cut down your hopes ? Do you sometimes , after hearing a sermon , feel as if had been like a great hurricane tearing right through the forest of your thoughts , cleaving its own course , and leaving many a dead thing that you thought alive swept down to the ground ? Do you feel , too , when you go home from the sanctuary , as if God Himself had been there , you did not know what else it could be . It could not have been the speaker nor the words he uttered , but the very God did come and look into your eyes , and searched the thoughts of your mind , and turned your heart upside down , and then filled it full again with His love and with His light , with His truth and with His joy , with His peace and with His desire after holiness ? Is it so with you ? Where the Word is not with power to your souls , you lack the proof of election .

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AWP's Book : The Doctrine Of Election

The following is from the chapter : Its Blessedness .

...It is no light thing to reject this blessed part of eternal truth : nay , it is a most solemn and serious matter so to do . God's Word is not given us to pick and choose from --- to single out those portions which appeal to us , and to distain whatever commends itself not to our reason and sentiments . It is given to us as a whole , and by it each of us must yet be judged . To reject the grand truth we are here treating of is the height of impiety , for to repudiate the election of God is to repudiate the God of election . It is a refusal to bow before His high sovereignty . It is the corrupt preacher opposing himself against the Holy Creator . It is presumptuous pride which insists upon being the determiner of its own destiny .

7. skypair

skypair Active Member

Basically what this says it "Thank God I have a JOB!" Cause THAT is what the "election" part of salvation is! :D I'll give that a hearty AMEN, too!!

BTW, isn't it Pink that decided near his end that only his church was saved??

skypair

#7 skypair, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From " Election " :" Its Opposition " AWP

The Holy Word of God does not come to us craving acceptance at the bar of human reason . Instead , it demands that human reason surrender itself to its divine authority and receive unmurmuringly its inerrant contents . It emphatically and repeatedly warns men that if they despise its authority and reject its teachings , it is to their certain eternal undoing . It is by that Word each of us shall be weighed , measured , judged in the day to come ; and therefore it is the part of human wisdom to bow to and thankfully receive its inspired declarations . The supreme act of right reason , my reader , is to submit unreservedly unto divine wisdom , and accept with childlike simplicity the revelation which God has graciously given us . Any other , any different attitude thereto , is utterly unreasonable -- the derangement of pride . How thankful we should be that the ancient of days condescends to instruct us .

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Election" : "Its Justice " by AWP

Let the character of God be faithfully presented as it is actually portrayed in the Scriptures -- in the Old Testament as well as in the New -- and nine out of every ten of church-goers will frankly state that they find it 'impossible to love Him .' The plain fact is , dear reader , that to this present generation the Most High of Holy Writ is' the unknown God .'
    It is just because people today are so ignorant of the divine character and so lacking in godly fear , that they are quite in the dark as to the nature and glory of divine justice , presuming to arraign it . This is an age of blatant irreverence , wherein lumps of animate clay dare to prescribe what the Almighty ought and ought not to do . Our forefathers sowed the wind , and today their children are reaping the whirlwind ... our moderns have no respect for the Creator , and of His high sovereignty and absolute dominion over all be insisted upon , they hesitate not to vomit forth their condemnation of Him .

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That deserves its own hearty AMEN.